Hazarrd

Most interesting out landing?

Yesterday at Perris, the spot was long, I was going downwind trying to get closer to the DZ, I got target fixation on a moving field below... hmmm fields fluffy, ohhhh pasing over a fence, grounds running SHIT sheep, yes all I landed in a field of about 50 sheep that were pinned up, clipping ones rear during my flare turn, worse I landed in prickers, so I didnt finish my PLF , and I was down wind... sheep lived but wasnt moving well...

I never knew how big those things are in person... Im incredibly bruised from not finishing the PLF and taking the force on the right side of my body but Im fine... it was my Beer out...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Perris, last April or March.

6-way freefly at the front of the plane w/ one student-class jumper behind us.

Group before us requested a go-around due to clouds and then took a while to spot and get out (not knocking them, just stating facts). Pilot flew us around for a little bit, hunting for more holes in the cloudcover. Finally told us this next hole was our only chance or we were going back down. We were a mile North and a mile East. "Fuck it."

We went and beforehand told the student we'd probably be landing out and that it was his decision on what to do, but if he followed us out the door, he should probably land out w/ our group rather than trying to make it back on his own.

After getting through a little industrial haze that blew under us (but totally wasn't there when we exited ;)), I opened as the low guy and spotted a little airstrip in the middle of this field. Then I noticed the giant standing next to and towering above a plane on the tarmac and I realized just what kind of airstrip this was: R/C.

I scanned my airspace while setting up for final and confident that there was nothing up there and no one was scrambling any fighters our way, carved a nice 180 down to the side of their runway.

(Most) everyone (including the student) followed suit and we started packing after a quick call on my cell to manifest. They knew right where we were and a truck was on the way. Figured we had time to pack, but the truck showed up within minutes.

Beer was paid for the pickup. B|
-C.

two come to mind as memorable (I'm an old guy so did 100's of jumps when landing out wasnt that unusual)

landed once in the town cemetery...a bit unnerving among the headstones

landed once in a farmers backyard miles from the temporary dropzone we had set up for a long weekend boogie (if you call a cessna in a farmers field with 15 drums of fuel and a hand pump a boogie :)
this is one reason I learn to spot and spot well
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

I've only landed out (well, far out that is) once and it was in a baseball field. I thought it was pretty fun. Whats the strangest out landing youve had?

bump bumpity bump, bump, bump.

Anyone have any fun outs lately?

I haven't had any outs lately. All my off field landings were in Titusville in the mid 90's when they used to fly the Queen Air.

Landed in the cemetary once, had to yell "heads up" to some people visiting the dead in my landing area.

Half of us landed in the middle of a soccer game one time, while the game was going on.

The last one I had was a King Air boogie, very late sunset load (it was dark). I landed right next to the drive through window at McDonald's. The lady picking up her food gave me a ride back to the DZ.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I landed on the driving range next to the DZ a few months back (jump#13). I thought I was just landing on the far corner of the airpark, didn't realize where I was going until I was on final. :):S

At about 100 feet, I realized what the white dots and signs saying 120, 150, 180 were. :o:D:D

I landed on the driving range next to the DZ a few months back (jump#13). I thought I was just landing on the far corner of the airpark, didn't realize where I was going until I was on final. :):S

At about 100 feet, I realized what the white dots and signs saying 120, 150, 180 were. :o:D:D

:DSo...you landed at the golf course near Sebastian? Did you yell "FORE!" :D

:DSo...you landed at the golf course near Sebastian? Did you yell "FORE!" :D

Titusville actually. The hangar's on one corner of the airpark with tennis courts and a driving range on the opposite corner. I learned of its existance the hard way. :D

I am tempted to land on the Sebastian golf course one of these days, just for fun. :D:D:P

I've landed off at Titusville as well...in a man's yard at the end of the runway. I was glad he didn't have a pitbull..landed in between two trees as he drove into his driveway, then gave me a ride back. He said that I was a reincarnated CAT:D

I was on my 190 back then and was blown backwards and decided not to have "get-back-itis" and choose an alternate at a few grand..decided if his roof came any closer that I would flat turn to the neighbors yard and make a crosswind landing. But I sunk right into his yard since I was on such a large canopy and went into deep brakes and just sunk straight down. It's all good.:D

Another time was at Jumptown (Orange, MASS)..was freeflying with two other guys and got hosed by the CRW guys going for their NE Record attempt, and was 5-6 miles off the dz and couldn't clear the forest so landed in a small backyard of a log cabin in the forest next to their swimming pool (only other option was a graveyard acrossed the street..hmmm concrete..ummm NOT!)...and it was first load of the day and they were making breakfast and I was dying to ask for a slice of crispy bacon...but opted to discretely be on my way back to the dz. A girl in a Jeep zoomed around the corner, picked me up and told me she was so excited to tell her husband that she picked up a skydiver:D. I offered to pay her for gas and the ride back and she was too excited to accept it. Fun! Fun!:D

It was Rantoul 200?, The spot was way out. I could have made it on to the Airport, maybe..., But I saw a water hazard on the sixth tee of a Golf coarse I was flying over. I chose to swoop the water hazard. The set up was nice. I did a 270 left front riser turn, I went to rears surfed the water then up the shore. I was about to land on the fifth green when I realized, that it maybe an improper move to make. I thought it similar to dragging you cady acrooss the green or driving your golf cart across (big NO-NOs). So at the last second I chose the bunker just to the left of the green. I landed in the bunker just as two gentleman pulled up in there cart. I grabbed the rake raked my way out of the sand and apologized for cutting in in such a manner. they said it was OK and it was one of the most incredible things they had ever seen. I again appologized and proceeded to return to the airport.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

At a boogie in the mid 80's I saw that I wasn't going to make the designated landing area, and carefully picked out a spot in a rather tight camping area just next to the main landing field. Pulled off a super stand up landing, and was feeling pretty good about my canopy skills.B| Turned round to pick up my canopy, but there was nothing there!!:o:o Did a full 360 and could still not find any trace of the canopy! Just when I was convinced I was losing it, I looked up to see the canopy neatly draped over a telephone cable that I had not noticed until that very moment!!:$

we were making water jumps one hot summer weekend .. mid Seventies...did it a couple of times a year so people could qualify for Licenses.. and lots of us jumped each time.
Well I missed the Lake !!! :o[:/] a BIG one tooo.B|;) hell its 40 miles long and 4 miles wide.....
But i landed OUT in a gravel parking Lot...
The wind was perpendicular to the length of the lake, ( N/S ) and the spot was well west of the western shore
Some of us were jumping 28' cheapos, ( student gear) so as to NOT soak our own personal gear,,,, and we exited too far up wind,, and i never made it back to the water..
The 'drive ' on a 28 ft cheapo is more like 'neutral" or maybe even Park :P
I mighta' had a chance at a downwind splash in the shallows... but saw a couple of dozen wooden docks, none of which looked inviting...B|B| I was barefoot, had no helmet, wearing only cut-off jeans and the rig...
so i got a 180 turn done, settled in behind some big pine trees and PLF'ed Big Time...B|;)
As a sheriff car pulled into the parking lot, I was already hightailing it Outta there,, down to a dock where one of the pick-up boats was pulling in.....After getting the gear into the boat, they promptly tossed my ( previously DRY ) ass into the drink.....:):S
mmmmm barefoot PLF's into a gravel parking lot...... hahahah and THAT was the BEST of my options..
back then I was mad at One of the OLD guys, who left me hanging on the strut for about 45 seconds,,,, !!!!! while He worked his way out the door,,, and while we were getting further and further from the spot!!!. he had a Jumbo PC and made the water.....:DB|;)
Now I'm older than HE was !!!!!! hahahaha
it's all about perspective...
gotta love it...
jmy

Ha HA !

When A bunch of guys at our club were doing the 'lake jump' to qualify for our D...it was pretty much the same kinda deal.

Except WE all made the lake...the OLD guy who was the head instructor and the CSO...MISSED the whole lake on a 28' cheapo!!! HIS SPOT!!!:ph34r:

He was SO embarrassed, he made 3-4 OTHER jumps that day, dead centering (strato cloud) the disk we had put on the beach for him...he NEVER lived down...MISSING the whole lake though!:o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

At Front Range Skydivers in Calhan, CO (DZ now known as Elaborate) but was jumping with friends Bill Murphy and Sue Oakley on a 3 way belly jump. I had 30 jumps and was jumping a borrowed jump suit and borrowed gear (PD230). Normal break off, track and pull, but turned final WAY TOO HIGH, and over shot the landing area big time. Over flew the parking lot, got target fixation on where I wanted to land, instead of where I was actually flying to, and landed in this pit of, well, we'll just call it what it was, a pit of shit. Primarily used for manure, and agricultural run off I guess, but it was some of the nastiest smelling foulness you could imagine... Landed in it up to my waist, and of course got all over the rig, and the jumpsuit. Brushed my self off as best I could, took off the rig, and walked back over to the hangar. When I came around the corner, about a dozen people were like, "Dave are you ok?!?!, where'd you land?" then they asked, "WHAT IS THAT STENCH?" I told them I had landed in the cesspool behind the parking lot, and of course, the name stuck. Cesspool Dave.
"I have no fear of falling, but I hate hitting the ground" -The Badlees

I landed out on a night jump. I had to do some serious thinking when choosing a place to land. Ended up landing across from a high school in a soccer field. It really was a guesstimate. I was pretty certain there was clear land across from that high school just not absolutely certain.

I was jumping by myself one slightly cloudy day and the pilot dropped the load a long way from the DZ. I landed by myself in a field across from a gas station out in the middle of NOWHERE. I climbed over the fence and waited for someone to find me over at the gas station. HOWEVER there were several red-neck hicks (full, long beards, plaid flannel shirts, dirty overalls...) that looked like they didn't get out much, staring at me. I'm wearing this tight pink jumpsuit with my parachute and everything. They probably thought I was an alien from outer space. Luckily John and the kids came racing down the road just as one of them was starting to come over and investigate me. I got picked up just in time!

I would have to say after a cutaway I chased my free bag becayse they are harder to find later. .As I was about to land next to it in a fenced in enclosure I noticed alot of ant hills .After picking up my free bag I heard some pawing and snorting, I turned to see a bull with his head down telling me Iwasnt welcome. I climbed over an electrified Very sharp barb wire fence ,as in the movies just in the nick of time. I found out then I must have dropped my reserve handle there .I walked back in search of it. TO no avail but I did find the ant hills were actually Bull shit eroding. This is not as I still have scars to prove it going over the fencr.

This isn't a landing out story but it is an embarrasing landing story.

I was jumping a Elsinore back in 98 or 99 and the winds were strong all day long. I was landing between the student landing area and the grass landing area in fron of the packing tent all day. During the sunset load, the wind shut off on the ride to altitude and my forward speed was carrying me into toward landing in the grass landing area. Although I like being away from swoopers, no problem, as I have plenty of room. Well, I land with a straight in approach but I had to run out the landing a little and stop immediately to avoid running into the wind blade. Rather than my canopy falling behind me, it continued to go forward and fall over the top of the wind blade. Everyone in the landing and packing area gave me a standing ovation. The laughter went on for several minutes. Glad I was a visitor.

Not me but a friend landed out in a farmers field becase of very high winds. So strong he landed going backwards. Anyway he ends up landig right next to a barbed wire electric fence. His canopy fell on the far side of the fence and continually pulled him into it. The farmers son comes out and asks if he can help, so my friend is yelling at him to cut the power. The3 kid says it is off and wouldn't believe him till he actually touched it himself. He finally cut away his main after being jolted a dozen times or so. I guess it's a little hard to thiunk clearly with electricity pumping thru your body or he probably would have cut it away a little sooner.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

That is a landing IN story! I've got one of those too!

On my 11th jump back in '83 under a PC, I decided I wanted to land in close. There was nothing but plowed fields all around as far as the eye could see, only 3 tiny little hangers where we operated from. I didn't want to walk through the plowed fields because I'd torn a ligament in my ankle during a gymnastic meet not long before. So I steered my canopy really close in so I would have to walk too far. Then I remembered that you were supposed to look between your toes to see where you were going to land. I looked between my toes and there was an AIRPLANE! OMG! I pulled down HARD on the toggle and did a fast 180 and went down wind right on top of one of those hangers! My feet prints are probably still on the metal roof of that building. I hit the top and then bounced up and fell to the ground. My canopy draped over the top of the building. I'm laying on the ground flat on my back with the wind knocked out of me and John (my then boyfriend/instructor---now my husband) comes running out of the outhouse doing up his pants. The outhouse was right up against the building I'd just hit and he thought a car had run into it! He comes around the building to see me laying on the ground making weird noises and everyone standing around me looking at me. That was a bad IN landing! :S:$

I hate to admit it. But I had another bad Landing In story. On my 3rd or 4th AFF jump (I should check my log book), I was being guided down by an unfamiliar voice on the radio. I was doing most of it by myself but somewhere along the way the person decided to chime in and put me into my landing pattern well above 1500 ft. So, there I am on a downwind leg and a little high, then she puts me on the base leg well above 1000 ft and then on final at just under 1000 ft on a very hot humid day with thermals.

Needless to say, I wasn't coming down fast and she then starts having me do s turns to bleed off altitude. She thinks I'm going to run out of landing area and tells me to turn left. So, I start turning left and now I'm under 200ft turning toward a Porter doing a hot fuel with a spinning prop. Luckily, I stopped turning a 1/4 way into the turn and did a flat braked turn back to the right. I landed without incident but it was close. Now I know I should have looked before I turned but at least I looked during the turn giving me enough time to have an out. The S&TA took me into the hangar and asked me to debrief what had just occured. He had heard her instructions over his radio and was going to correct her last instruction but I corrected it before he could respond. He gave me a little lip for following improper instruction but was happy that I had enough sense when it really mattered. I think he then gave the Landing Instructor hell for the terrible instructions.