steveorino

How many jumps before your SCR?

It took me 1246 jumps (and 11 attempts) over the last 6 years!!! I work at a Cessna DZ and we occaisionally have two Cessnas available for the attempt.

In the previous attempts I was in on 8 of the 10 attempts. The first attempt was back when I had less than 100 jumps. In the previous attempts there was always one out (one time it was me -- I was wearing a camera suit ... wrong!)

In this attempt the four guys in the lead plane had 350 jumps, 90 jumps, 65 jumps, and me with 1240+. We made a nice 8 way round and I was never so happy!

It took a long time, and in some ways I'm glad it came so late. I don't think I would appreciate it as much had I done it back when I started. I'm also glad I did it with two Cessnas and so many first time SCR recipients on the dive!

steveOrino

It took me 1246 jumps (and 11 attempts) over the last 6 years!!! I work at a Cessna DZ and we occaisionally have two Cessnas available for the attempt.

In the previous attempts I was in on 8 of the 10 attempts. The first attempt was back when I had less than 100 jumps. In the previous attempts there was always one out (one time it was me -- I was wearing a camera suit ... wrong!)

In this attempt the four guys in the lead plane had 350 jumps, 90 jumps, 65 jumps, and me with 1240+. We made a nice 8 way round and I was never so happy!

It took a long time, and in some ways I'm glad it came so late. I don't think I would appreciate it as much had I done it back when I started. I'm also glad I did it with two Cessnas and so many first time SCR recipients on the dive!

I don't have one yet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

One does not need to be a member of USPA to be an SCR, SCS, etc. Recipient. Any skydivers on the planet can make the dive, submit the application (with membership funds). As you'll find on the website Steve provided - it's one of the longest standing awards skydivers can make.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

How many jumps before your SCR?

Well, it "depends"...

Hot chicks will usually get invited on an SCR load at ridiculously low numbers... i.e., like on their graduation jump... :S

Conversly, if the ol' grey hairs around the DZ are anticipating feeling "thirsty" later, they may grab a newb or two and go get them their SCR... and then play the "BEER" card on them... ;)

:P

Anyway, the SCR award has nothing to do with the USPA; its not a USPA award. I'm somewhat disappointed that the USPA didn't pick it up as part of its awards system a few years ago when they had the chance. I'm glad though that its still going though.

6 of us waiting on Mel (Mule) and Thor as we reinact the 8 way round. Notice the stupid pie-eating grin on my face. I felt like a kid. Lloyd told me I jabbered like my tandem students when I came down, I was so pumped about finally getting this award. B|:D

steveOrino

[replyHot chicks will usually get invited on an SCR load at ridiculously low numbers...

I got mine at 24 jumps, It was all based on me buying beer, 2 cases, I went out base out of the beech, there built it on me, SCR. They let go of me and we closed it back up, SCS. I think Philly had something to do with it.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Well, that's one ugly crew to have to spend pictures with for the rest of your life. Sorry I couldn't be there to add some big handsomeness to the jump. :D:D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I only had a few attempts in my first 500 jumps. They were very hard to come by, I guess most of the jumpers around here didn't care for them. I got mine on my 500th jump at Quincy with all of my local friends though.

I was also on a hoop dive that was one jumper short of completing an 8 way.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't remember the actual jump number (that logbook stuffed away in storage) but it was around 50-60. Docked 9th on a 9-way for the SCS. Boy, I was one proud-as-a-peacock newbie. After we docked and held it, we all did a Hog Flop and got back together.

I never did apply for the SCR for any of the many later jumps I've done that would have earned it.

Speaking of SCR/SCS, you guys get your butts to Skyfest this year...SCR/SCS jumps will be on-call all through the event. Bigun will be organizing them and I'll be in his hip pocket all week for them.

IT'S NEVER OVER!!!!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Nah, I just think it might easier if everyone leaves from the same plane. The Cessnas in formation is kinda cool!

I have done a bunch of 8 ways from 2 cessnas and im sure i have qualified on many a skydive at my home DZ. Never bothered to get it though. Not really a big thing where I jump.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Nah, I just think it might easier if everyone leaves from the same plane. The Cessnas in formation is kinda cool!

Come to think of it, I remember one C-182 formation load at my home DZ where we did build an 8 way speed star. 10,000 feet is the normal exit altitude but for that one we went to 12,000 feet. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hot chicks will usually get invited on an SCR load at ridiculously low numbers...

I got mine at 24 jumps,

Carey... no matter how much lingerie you buy / wear, you are NOT a hot chick and never will be!!
:S

It was all based on me buying beer, 2 cases, I went out base out of the beech, there built it on me, SCR. They let go of me and we closed it back up, SCS. I think Philly had something to do with it.

Oh, Philly having something to do with beer... like DUH!
;)

I never looked, I just got a letter one day
from Bill with a patch and a mimeographed
page saying he was starting this thing to
honor Bob Buquor and a list of the 20 people
who had been in an 8-man star.

I got SCR-16 which I thought was a nice number.

On another day I was up at Taft and Art (Armstrong,
DZO and Board member) mentioned that they had
decided to make an award for 12 hours of freefall.

I thought "Hey! If I act fast and get my application
in first maybe I can get number 1!". So I went home
and added my stuff up and rushed it up to Art
and he signed it off and sent it in.

But they took the first batch of apps and drew
them out of hat, so I got #8.

So I certainly wasn't the first person to hit 12
hours, but I may have been the first to apply
for the badge :-) :-)

I never applied for anything after that, I thought
8 and 16 were pretty cool numbers and I'd quit
while I was ahead.

And upon rereading that and reflecting I think
there must have been many Russians and French
and others who were way out ahead of us in terms
of jumps and freefall and other numerical landmarks,
but I wasn't so strongly aware of that at the time.

Skr