sonomatommy

got the "A" and a new rig!!!!!!!

i've mad a few post here, just wanted to say, "GOT MY "A" BABY". and on top of that i bought a wings rig with a TRIATHALON 150 main and i fricken love it. thanks to Will and Mikey at the parachute center Lodi, I'll have plenty of beers next weekend...BLUES.:)

you got 36 jumps and you are jumping a 150? Hows that workin out for ya? I don't plan on downsizing till I get at least a couple hundred. I will be jumping with noahs ark on my back till 250 probably. How does the canopy fly?

its workin out just fine. I was jumping a 170, and i just felt it was time, but then everyone is different. my istructors really stressd the art of flying the canopy in my aff. dont get me wrong the first time i jumped the 150 i scrubbed the landing, wasn't used to the flare...talked to my instructor after the jump, he gave me a little advice and after that no prob. the canopy flies like a dream and the openings are wonderfully soft so far.

I'm sure it is working fine. Bigger is not always better. Lodi is at sea level and we have power lines and a freeway behind us when we land. We need canopies we can fly, not canopies that fly us. I'm about 160 lbs out the door. When I jumped a Tri 160 I was getting pushed around the sky. I started flying a Tri 135 before I had 100 jumps and flew and landed it much better.

size means nothing(ok, well not nothing but...) without mentioning what you're loading at.

Im flying a spectre 170 loaded at 1.1 and its perfect for me. If youre flying a 150 and only weigh 120(just speculating) figure 1:1 and a perfect beginner canopy for someone comfortable with it.

its workin out just fine. I was jumping a 170, and i just felt it was time, but then everyone is different. my istructors really stressd the art of flying the canopy in my aff. dont get me wrong the first time i jumped the 150 i scrubbed the landing, wasn't used to the flare...talked to my instructor after the jump, he gave me a little advice and after that no prob. the canopy flies like a dream and the openings are wonderfully soft so far.

what is your WL?

What size reserve is in your container?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I feel like I'm being interrogated by the fricken cops... hows about "congrats on your "A" or maybe good job buddy.
my weight is 160...no gear
my mistake on the reserve...damm 5 is right next to the 6 on this keyboard... imagine that.

So your WL on the 150 is more in the arena of 1.22:1 and around 1.29 on the PD 143 and 1.15 on the PD160.

Interrogated by the cops?
Nope, just a skydiving instructor.
And some of us like to get the facts, no harm in that eh? And before some of up pat you on the back and tell you what a great accomplishment you have made (which you have) perhaps we would like to get the facts you presented us with straight first. I am not certain what the actual numbers would suggest about such a WL for someone at your experience level is because those numbers are not available but many experienced skydivers throw caution into the wind when we see a new jumper faced with such a scenario. Be prepared for some to maybe even use strong language in their warnings to you concerning the WL choices you have decided to make at this point in your skydiving career.

Sometimes “experienced” skydivers will use strong language to get a point across when it comes to warning a newbie about a danger they are subjecting themselves to but I believe the vast majority of the time they will go on to become good canopy pilots, or get bored and leave the sport before anything bad happens. Sometimes they get seriously injured or killed and the jumpers that warned them can say “I told ya so”, but that does not happen very often.
The first fatality I witnessed did not surprise me at all, the writing was on the wall but it was still not an easy thing to watch. The second fatality I witnessed was a very conservative canopy pilot with a conservative WL, over 10 years and a couple thousand jumps. No one expected him to die but he pulled a toggle down slightly at 100’AGL to avoid a tree and that was all it took to kill him.
People that have been around the sport a while that have seen a fatality or two know that it does not take much to die in this sport and it can happen to anyone, especially if their WL is just a bit over what they can handle coupled with inexperience – very easy to get seriously injured or killed – very easy. It don’t take much at just the wrong moment and viola, there is a corpse laying out in the field with shit and piss in their pants choking on blood with their last few breaths before they die. When you witness something as gruesome as that, well, I understand why some people would say just about anything to get someone to listen – it is not a pleasant thing to witness…

The idea is to never get injured or killed during your time as a skydiver during the course of your life. You have the rest of your life to jump so to is best to progress slowly and conservatively, injuries can cost many thousands of dollars, time out of the sport and can even end your jumping career, especially if you get killed eh? So conservative is best, there is always time to downsize as long as you remain uninjured and alive…

So if some skydivers balk at the choices you are making as an inexperienced jumper don’t get angry at us, just take into consideration some of the carnage they may have seen that has jaded their perspective and the fact that they want to minimize the possibility of attending more funerals or visits to the ICU.

So, congrats on the acquisition of you’re a license, and good luck with your canopy choices.
If you are looking for a good deal on a 170 to put a couple hundred jumps on I’ll bet you can find one really cheap.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If you are being interrogated, think of it as being done by a loving mother rather than cops. The above posters are just trying to look out for the best interests of a new jumper who may not know better. Feel the love!
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

If you are being interrogated, think of it as being done by a loving mother rather than cops. The above posters are just trying to look out for the best interests of a new jumper who may not know better. Feel the love!

Maybe this is what we need in order to get back to the vibe that Auryn was looking for when the "What has happened?" thread was started.

A Family of Skydivers

Personally, I already feel like I've got a skydiving big-sister (although she doesn't know it, and I wouldn't call her that to her face).

So yeah, feel the love. Tough-love sometimes, but listen to the message and do what you need to do Tommy.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

o.k maybe a wrong choice of words. i know everyone is just looking out for everyone elses safety. looking for a pat on the back maybe...maybe not. i'm sorry you witnessed those accidents i'm sure in time i will to. but for the record i would have never downsized without the approval of my instructor 4000 plus jumps and even with his o.k. i still went to Bill Dause the owner of the dz 30,000 plus jumps who also gave his approval, this isn't something i went into half heartedly. again sorry for the attitude its been a long day. thanks for all your input.

not to set the american friends off..

around here, pretty much everybody starts off with a 170, or even a 150.. i'm more than 190lbs with gear, i land like shit, and even our chief instructor would let me jump a 150 for my first own rig. its pretty likely i'll have THE license with 60 jumps.

maybe people should rather be educated with proper precautions than with wingloading. if you know NOT to do stupid things with any gear, it shouldnt really matter if you're jumping a 170, a 150, or maybe even a 135.. but thats just my rather humble opinion..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda