Blassiter

Getting back your main after a cutaway?

ok before you all bash me I have searched the site and I couldnt find any information on this.

I know I have seen and heard of people performing cutaways either out of necessity or just to do it. When this happens how would one go about retrieving their main? I mean depending on the altitude that it is done at i would assume that your main could go pretty much anywhere at that point

I've only had one cutaway. One of my buddies in the air watched about where he thought it came down. As soon as I got to the ground, a bunch of people were waiting to help me go look for it. About five of us went into the woods where about we thought it came down and spread out. Luckily we found the canopy within a half hour. This was the last load on a Sunday. I have also been on a few plane loads where the plane circled around where a canopy was believed to have gone.

I always try to watch a persons canopy (after a cutaway) to try and get idea of where it lands. Also, I am always willing to go canopy hunting as I was so grateful for the guys that helped me.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

I know I have seen and heard of people performing cutaways either out of necessity or just to do it.

Out of necessity, yes, it happens. Mains do malfunction from time to time. I've had 3 mals... cut-aways and reserve rides in my time.

Folks cutting away their main for "fun" and then using their reserve. Sure, it happens, but you gotta ask yourself how smart that is... i.e. trade a "good" parachute for, yes, a carefully packed reserve, but as yet not a good, inflated, flying, parachute... but that's a whole other subject.

When this happens how would one go about retrieving their main? I mean depending on the altitude that it is done at i would assume that your main could go pretty much anywhere at that point

Basically, either you or one of your other buddies on the load chases the main and freebag down. I've chased my own trash down after a cut-away on 2 of my 3 reserve rides and also had a buddy follow me too since, invarably, the trash lands out. I've chased a lot of other folks trash down too after they had a cut-away; its good karma and kinda fun. However, if / when doing so, one has to consider the surroundings of the DZ in question... trees, power lines, houses, aligators, etc. Lukily, where I normally jump, you have to work pretty damn hard to find yourself somewhere where you cannot make a good landing (big desert... just watch out for the cactus and rattle snakes... ;))

I'll caveate that with one thing, generally, for students, if they have a cut-away and reserve ride, IMO, its NOT advisable for them to chase their cut-away main & reserve ride down. Rather, a student under a reserve should concentrate on getting themselves back to the DZ or as close as possible, make a good landing (or "good enough" = "walks away") and not worry about where their trash lands; that's what the DZ staff and Jumpmasters get paid the big bucks for... :D

Our DZ borders the Great Dismal Swamp in Southern Virginia. Most of the time, we follow mains in or keep a good eye on them as they land. Then we put jumpsuits on and duct tape our sleeves and cuffs down tight before venturing out into the woods. Even with a tight cover-up, we often suffer the unmerciful wrath of thorns, mosquitoes, chiggers, and ticks. Sometimes, the mains are never found.

Well, a big reason a main is cutaway is because it IS damaged... i.e. broken lines, blown up (read... big hole in it)... ;)

well what I really meant was lets say you had a bad opening, lines got tangled and you didnt think you could recover. While the main itself may not actually be "damaged" it would still require a cutaway(in my opinion anyway. I really have no basis for this since I have no experience. its just what common sense would tell me). So in an instance like that the main wouldnt really be damaged and i was wondering the probability of it being damaged after the cutaway.

granted I know a that there are a lot of contributing factors to what could damage it after cutaway, such as the surrounding area etc. Im just asking if anyone knows from personal experience.

So in an instance like that the main wouldnt really be damaged and i was wondering the probability of it being damaged after the cutaway.

Absent big spiky things, things that go 'moo' and think canopies are tasty, and things that go 'bsst-spark' when you touch them, the canopy is probably going to be fine.

The act of cutting a canopy away doesn't damage it.

It's worth noting that the fabric the canopy is made from is not UV-stable. Leaving your canopy out in the sun for a couple of days will degrade it.

One of my AFF instructors told me 9 times out of 10 you recover it and its fine at our DZ mile hi. Im not sure if this has any validity for extrapolation, but what does anyone think the ratio is like at their DZ? Obviously not any real stats, just what people have seen with their own eyes.

I used to jump in the desert and nothing was ever lost. I know jump surrounded by dense temperate rain forests and we lose a lot of stuff. [:/]

Yes, but you find a lot of stuff, too. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've had 20 cutaways.

I've never lost a main, or a freebag. I lost a handle once, after I gave it to a Tandem student to hold and he threw it away.

Look for your stuff, follow your stuff, land with your stuff if conditions allow. That way you won't lose it.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Look for your stuff, follow your stuff, land with your stuff if conditions allow.

Look for, okay, but would you really tell a student to try to follow their trash down? Maybe its just me, but since the OP is a student, I wouldn't want him or her to get the idea that while on student status they should try to follow their trash down if they have a cutaway. I still think they'd be better served being told to concentrate on landing their reserve safely and on the DZ as much as possible and let the staff worrry about where the cutaway & freebag went (again, I'm talking students specifically here).

an interesting thought just popped into my head, if you had to perform a cutaway as a student and the main was lost/damages, would you be responsible for the cost of the main, i.e. having to replace it?

Okay... just my opinion... but if you're a student and you have a malfunction and have to cut-away and go to the reserve, a reputable DZ / DZO is not going to make you pay for any damage or replacement costs... the key word bieng reputable.

But, anyway, try not to worry about such stuff too much. Concentrate on your TLOs on your student jumps, practice your emergency procedures and deal with a malfunction, if it happens, as it comes.

Look for your stuff, follow your stuff, land with your stuff if conditions allow.

Look for, okay, but would you really tell a student to try to follow their trash down? Maybe its just me, but since the OP is a student, I wouldn't want him or her to get the idea that while on student status they should try to follow their trash down if they have a cutaway. I still think they'd be better served being told to concentrate on landing their reserve safely and on the DZ as much as possible and let the staff worrry about where the cutaway & freebag went (again, I'm talking students specifically here).

Ya beat me to it.

A student has enough to deal with if, & when a cut away is performed.

Point 'Plan B' toward the LZ and head for the barn.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

ok that makes sense. What do you think the likelyhood of the main being damaged in a cutaway is?

on my first cutaway my main landed in a tree and had zero damage (after a careful extraction)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Luckily when I had a reserve ride people watched my canopy fall and actually went to get it for me.

Then I had a hell of time finding the freebag. I searched 4 or 5 times for it in a forest of thorns, trees, high grass and ant hills.

Then the guy I jumped with on that load went with me because he had a good idea of where it landed and pointed it out after looking for about 2 minutes. It was about 20 feet off the road on top of a huge thorn bush. Doh. I had scowered probably a 1500 square foot area looking for it.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

an interesting thought just popped into my head, if you had to perform a cutaway as a student and the main was lost/damages, would you be responsible for the cost of the main, i.e. having to replace it?

I had a premature reserve deployment at 10K once (on student gear). It was completely not my fault, but I was still responsible for the reserve repack. Thankfully somebody happened to find the freebag by accident. Thankfully, the guy who "helped" my deployment offered to split the cost with me. I was not a student.

I believe the rule at my dz is students are not responsible. The thinking is they dont want students hesitating to cut away for any reason. Once you are off student status, you are responsible for the gear. *Unless you are an attractive female. Then you aren't responsible.*
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

In forest or swamps i might consider some telemetry on that thing, especially a expensive canopy.

Its rare that you would need it but if i chop a 2000 dollar velo on a long spot. I sure as hell feel better knowing i have that telemetry
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

In forest or swamps i might consider some telemetry on that thing, especially a expensive canopy.
Its rare that you would need it but if i chop a 2000 dollar velo on a long spot. I sure as hell feel better knowing i have that telemetry

Yeah. Whatever happened to that whole telemetry thingy anyway? I had forgotten all about it until this post. In the meantime I bought a new rig and there was never any mention of the option.

Peace,
Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving