cardwell2002

New to Skydiving

I get annoyed when "possible newcomers" start talking and asking about accidents right off the bat.

Is that just me?

Asking about some incident in detail comes across as weird to me at that point of one's possible skydiving career. Like asking what will happen if both parachutes fail....you die..duhh

If you have a healthy interest in the sport you might not want to dwell on incidents that lead to serious injury or death?! Go visit a hospital or cemetary if these things hold your interest.

just my opinion. (like poopholes ya know)

"troll came, troll got busted?"
now thats some goofy shit right there.

Anyway, sorry for not replaying back so quickly but thank you for the quick responses. I made the posts while I was at work and been out past 2 nights with friends.

Insulting newcomers seems pretty weird. I have been trying to get up in the sky the last 2 months with a friend of mine who is an instructor but our schedules have been conflicting so I thought I would ask a few questions beforehand. From all the videos I have seen it seems like a total blast and probably somewhat life-changing.

I appreciate the information about the hard opening. I'll save other questions for the instructors at the drop zone.

Blue skies

Hey I don't think anybody was trying to be insulting. We all know that trolls have feeling too.

On another topic, I'm sure that the skydiving service that you work for in Atlanta can help guide you to some good AFF instruction. According to the website it will be a memory of a lifetime. This statement has been true for thousands of people. Of course some of the memories might not have been happy but I'm sure that was due more to the skydiving service in Atlanta than it was the actual skydive. But I digress have a great jump. In an effort to help a little bit. Make sure you buy the weather protection insurance since if you show up for your AFF course and its raining I would hate for you to lose your money. After all that is what insurance is for and that is a lot of money at risk.

Again have a great jump.:)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

[reply

I owned a Sabre1 for 500 jumps and it slammed me maybe 5 times... twice I dumped in a track, my mistake. reply]

Why would dumping in a track result in a harder opening? I always thought that you slow yourself down while tracking. Which would make me think that if you are not traveling as quickly the canopy would be less likely to slam you. Do you get hard openings from deploying at sub-terminal speeds? Can someone please explain?

both guys above nailed it... vertical is slower (for some us... for the less skilled it's often FASTER), but horizontal speed makes total speed faster.

Plus instead of rotating 90 degrees, you rotate almost 180. Trust me, dumping in a track hurts with the wrong canopy. Although I did that several times on my old PD-170 9-cell and it never mattered, hence the learning experience on the Sabre.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

In an effort to help a little bit. Make sure you buy the weather protection insurance since if you show up for your AFF course and its raining I would hate for you to lose your money. After all that is what insurance is for and that is a lot of money at risk.

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not to steer this conversation elsewhere, but since your talking about openings... :)
On a jump last weekend I had what I considered an extremely soft opening; in retrospect may have been a minor mal (of no consequence). I had the pilot chute out at 43 or 44 hundred feet and was open at three grand. When I threw, I felt the 'tug' and was brought to a standing position, brought my hands to where my risers shouldof been. To my surprise and (brief) dismay they werent over my shoulders/head as in the usual way. I tried to look up, felt something on the back of my helmet, and just as I would have gotten worried, risers showed up and I watched a beautiful blue n white skymaster unfold. Any thoughts? Risers twist as i was opening (i was arched after pulling and not spinning, I know im fresh, but i at least remember being pretty stable). Anyway, not letting it bother me, on to the next one, just curious what it could have been, cause i couldn't see it for the two seconds or so it was occuring...

Asking about some incident in detail comes across as weird to me at that point of one's possible skydiving career. Like asking what will happen if both parachutes fail....you die..duhh

If you have a healthy interest in the sport you might not want to dwell on incidents that lead to serious injury or death?! Go visit a hospital or cemetary if these things hold your interest.

The time to dwell on the risks is before you enter a new activity, not 30 seconds before you die. Newcomers worry too much about a double mal - they don't know that once the parachute opens they're still quite capable of killing themselves.

The hard opening risk was one that troubled me, coupled with the process of learning to pack. (btw, now I pack a triathlon for quick opening) There were a couple reported incidents in that first year that caught my attention. Again, it's hard for incoming people to quantify risk - all you have is anecdotal stories.

Aren't you annoyed by people who discover 30 jumps and 3 months later that skydiving is a dangerous sport?

something about that situation you describe doesnt add up.

if you had enough snatch force to get you upright, then where else would the risers be?? except for above you where they should be.

without the snatch force to get you upright, a pilot chute hesitation would make sense for example: a weak throw, pilot chute gets caught in your burble and smacks you in the back of the head a couple times, you reach up for risers that arent there yet, this changes your orientation to slightly head low, pilot chute clears and you got canopy deployment, risers are where theyre supposed to be.

maybe things happened fast and the sequence was not as described.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Made my first tandem jump from only at 11.5 due to it being 7:30pm and the plane being somewhat low on the fuel from the day. Had a Fuckin blast. Video and Pictures are perfect.

Did they charge you for extra altitude anyway? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Um, I just read my last post, and I don't know where the second part of it came from! I read it and was like "What?" So that's what I get for having multiple screens up at the same time as a bottle of JD.:$

Can a kind moderator delete that now, or is it too late?

>>>Not yours, Billy! "...I just read my last post..."
I'm talking about where I accidentally pasted where I was trying to help someone elsewhere find a song they couldn't figure out!:D:D:D

Roll Tide Roll

Made my first tandem jump from only at 11.5 due to it being 7:30pm and the plane being somewhat low on the fuel from the day. Had a Fuckin blast. Video and Pictures are perfect.

Ahhh, the sunset load. I hope the time of day had more factor in your early exit than the fact that the plane was so low on fuel.

Where did you do the jump? Are you going to begin to get certified soon? Surely you can do it at a discounted price.
Roll Tide Roll

Our plan is to use our tax return money to get certified. Was kinda surprised ASC is not affiliated with the USPA..show me some better skydivers then please. The guy I went up with had over 1700 jumps logged. Was also impressed with the precision involved with the chute packing going on throughout the day.
cheers

As a new skydiver you will start to explore the sport. You will start to understand the terms like tandem factory and you will hear of some places that take advantage of customers and some places that don’t. FWIW places that charge unknowing customers to get weather insurance and misc other bogus charges tend to have poor reputations within the industry. This does not mean that the skydivers who work there are bad and often times the instructors who work at those drop zones are very good.

As a new skydiver obviously the choice is yours on whether or not to frequent a DZ that deals with questionable business practices.

Do not feed the troll. Do not feed the troll. Do not feed the troll. DOH :)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Alright let's lose the troll nametag. I think I will upload the video onto youtube so you guys can give me some reviews and constructive criticism. God damn it was an intense feeling being the first one out the plane on the last load of the day. Felt like walking out on stage to perform a solo. Again thanks to the staff at ASC for getting all of us up in the sky and down safely as well. The thing that I thought was interesting was that the videographer actually had a pretty hard opening which you can see on the video. But he's a tough guy and laughed it off. they offered AFF package for 1k. reasonable price.