NelKel

Skydiving brotherhood/pilots also?

I have been kinda wondering about this for sometime.
Everone here knows that we all toast deceased jumpers, some will chant BSBD. Do pilots have that kind of brother hood? I'm thinking about the 9 jumpers in the C208 crash and the 1 pilot.
Most pilots I have come across are jumpers, and are part of the culture at the DZ. I would consider a pilot that flys at my DZ to be one of us. But I was wondering about the rest of the piloting community.
Do you guys know if pilots have a fourm like ours?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Skydivers, skydiving, and skydiving aviation are not respected in a great part of both GA and Commercial aviation., mostly as a result of ignorance, and myth.

Jump pilots are a special breed, we should make sure they always feel welcome, jumpers or not.

And I'd advise people do what the can to calmly dis-prove myth, and explain skydiving to those non-skydiving pilots that seem interested.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

There's a site called diverdriver.com for jump pilots. Chris, the guy who runs it posts on here as diverdriver. The site has rescources and forums for pilots, but I'm not sure how it compares to DZ.com as far as the family feel.
I got nuthin

IMO, skydiving pilots are a breed unto their own and as such are just as much a part of our brotherhood as a fellow skydiver - the brotherhood of socially-disconnected misfits.

Regarding your question on pilots in general (assuming non-jump pilots) having their own brotherhood forum...

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXxC8c5Nr0

Spaceland Flight School's first private pilot graduate on a cross-country flight from TE88 (Spaceland) to College Station. Run time is 5 minutes...

Typical freeflyer! Can't get in the air wthout a video camera.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kind of depends. i fly a weight shift E-LSA (trike with hang glider wing). some pilots of 3 axis planes think it is way cool, some think it is "not a real plane" (acording to the FAA and the taxes I pay, it is). PPG flyers snub there noses at me, hang gliders think i make too much noise. i have flown around hot air balloons, and they loved the show. non pilots walk up to it and just smile. so it really just depends on the individual. all i can say is that when i am skimming across the desert at 5' chasing jack rabbits and my shawdow....i dont really care what people think...kind of like when you exit the plane...you just leave it allllll behind.

I've been a pilot since about '95 (never been a jump pilot though). Definite brotherhood of pilots. Especially all of us military guys, it's a close knit group. Much like the divers seem. (I'm a noob)

Have you made a jump yet? We had a commercial pilot and his girlfriend come out for a tandem a week or so ago, they're both hooked .. a few who jump at our place are pilots.

I always make an attenpt to get to know the jump pilots and make sure to thank them when ever I can. I thank the people I jump with and without the pilot we're stuck on the ground so they are key part of the group.

We had two terrific pilots this year, both smooth flyers and both jump. One I jumped with a few times, he just got his B before the end of the season and the other had to go through his first jump course to get hired so he has 1 jump. It's pretty handy having a skydiver as your jump pilot, between the load and the pilot we never had a bad spot .. and, now and again they would slip us an extra 500 ft of altitude.

I started skydiving in the late 80's and in 93 got my pilots licsence. I LOVE SKYDIVING and I LOVE FLYING SKYDIVERS. how many commercial pilots can say their clients buy them a beer when the day is over:) It'll get you a little more altitudeB|

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Have you made a jump yet? We had a commercial pilot and his girlfriend come out for a tandem a week or so ago, they're both hooked .. a few who jump at our place are pilots.

I always make an attenpt to get to know the jump pilots and make sure to thank them when ever I can. I thank the people I jump with and without the pilot we're stuck on the ground so they are key part of the group.

We had two terrific pilots this year, both smooth flyers and both jump. One I jumped with a few times, he just got his B before the end of the season and the other had to go through his first jump course to get hired so he has 1 jump. It's pretty handy having a skydiver as your jump pilot, between the load and the pilot we never had a bad spot .. and, now and again they would slip us an extra 500 ft of altitude.

I finished my a licsense about a month ago. I try to get at least a jump a week. (3 on sat). I'm def hooked. I've been kicking around the idea of getting my single-eng commercial (only have my twin) so I can fly jump planes. I don't need the hours or money though and it would cut into my jumping time!

I don't need the hours or money though and it would cut into my jumping time!

Which was why 25 years back, very few knew I had a ticket...I wanted to be the jumper not the jumper dumper! ;)

And to the OP...I've worked in the air show circuit for over 25 years and can attest that the air show performers have a similar brotherhood to ours...smaller definitely, but maybe ever stronger.

I kind of think because it's smaller it's a tighter community, they all know each other personally. They mourn their loss with beer and stories as 'we' do. They help each other out in ways unimaginable...for example, a top stunt pilot was injured (broken ribs) a few years back, another top performer flew all his routines for 1/2 the season wearing a matching flight-suit and helmet so the injured pilot could keep his sponsor and make his payroll. B|

On the other hand, my wife is an airline pilot...and THAT group can at times, be more of a nit picking gossip circle. ;)

We travel quite a bit and it never ceases to amaze her how anywhere in the world...if we stop at a small airport to talk flying, we're treated cordially, if we stop at a dropzone...we're WELCOMED as family! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I started learning to fly metal birds before i started learning to fly my body.
I've got lots of pilot mates and lots of skydiving buddies and i'd say the cameraderie (sp?) is pretty much the same.
The pilots tend to drink with each other more than with the skydivers and vice versa, but gravitation works like that.

Birds of a feather flock together.