steve1

How do I retire and still skydive?

Go where the money is.

Rob banks.

That is so old school.. what you need to do is goto columbia nd pick up a package then tandem in a remote area that is where the retirement is:D

Coffee can't be THAT hard to get! :$

Good coffee is these days i hear. That is why you have to disguise it as cocaine
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Go where the money is.

Rob banks.

That is so old school.. what you need to do is goto columbia nd pick up a package then tandem in a remote area that is where the retirement is:D

Good coffee is these days i hear. That is why you have to disguise it as cocaine

That's right...now I remember, if ya pack the coffee in cocaine it throws the dogs off! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Go where the money is.

Rob banks.

That's right...now I remember, if ya pack the coffee in cocaine it throws the dogs off! :)

thats how starbucks has made its millions. I wonder if the tandem harness was made based on this analogy:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Move to Hawaii, live in a big tent, it rains twice a day so a big tarp hung in the trees will help keep your living area dry, make money selling photos of the girls in grass skirts on the windy days, drive the TDM pick up van they have for an hourly rate and tips, grow pocololo to sell to the jumpers and eat free if you fish, it's a short walk accross the street even for a lazy old fart like you......:P:D:DB|;)

You guys really have some great ideas. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get enough money to get to Hawaii and buy a tent.....

Sell your car for a plane ticket, if you book one in the off season you should have enough left over for a tent and a tarp, the rest of the camping shit you'll need you can find cheap @ the surplus store or get the "grunts" to give to you free and that stuff you paid for with tax dollars already. Or you could just use the old WW2 bunkers on the inland side of the airfield, good thing about Hawaii is there are no snakes, only spiders and other critters so the clean up won't be to bad.....;)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I dont think anyone has yet suggested becoming a hustler in the bus station mens room.

But first he has to become a politician, and he may not want to stoop that low.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I may be an immoral bastard, but I do have limits.....I think the lowest I ever stooped was when I pencil packed my reserve and got caught at Lost Prairie a couple years ago, after having a Cypress fire. I probably should have been escourted off the drop zone for all that. But hell, I've been "born again" since then, and I no longer do shit like that!.........

I can see it now. STEVE the 40 lb overweight, balding WAD. You could just buy a camper and park it at the DZ and steal Warrens job of cutting the grass, or you could do what I do and bring scores of tandems over for Hod and get free jumps for them.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Just help Baker repo cars...;)

Baker is a lot rougher and tougher than I could ever be! He's a foot taller and he's built like a brick outhouse...He's also an ex-marine who likes to scrap. I always wanted to be like all that, but it never happened.:(

Maybe he could hire me to do some of his light work though.:)
Retirement may not be all that much fun at all!.....If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have planned ahead![:/].....

If you have your TDM rating and are use to hauling the midwest land whales, you be happy as a pig in shit and take two of those Japanese at the same time and double your income and tips.:)
William Moriarty (sp) used to live in the trees with his 16 year old boy for a long time.

hmmmm just make sure to get video of you with the two japanese tourists

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

You could just buy a camper and park it at the DZ and steal Warrens job of cutting the grass.

Clint,
Thanks for trying to help me out of my retirement delima. I'm not sure if I would want Warren's job. Think of all the pressure and responsibility you would have. One day my lawn mower might quit, and then what would I do. Then there's all those damn sprinklers to worry about. And then if I cut the grass too short Hod and Tina might be pissed at me. I don't know if I could handle a high pressure job like that!

Come to think of it Tina may already be pissed at me. Pulling low, several jumps in a row, might have been what did it. At any rate she had a real disappointed look in her eye last time I saw her. Hod didn't seem to mind though.

I've given it a lot of thought, and what I think I'd really like to do....is to help manage the dancing girls at Shotgun Willy's in Laurel. I figure I could give the girls advice on how to look a little more sleezy in those cute little outfits they wear. Or I could show them how to swing around that pole a little faster without getting hurt. Or maybe I could show them how to do those undulating movements a little more appropriately. I'd also like to change the name from Shotgun Willy's to the Laurel Ballet Club. It just sounds a little more classy that way. What do you think???

I think that would be a great retirement job for you. I'll support your position there. The name may change the clientel that comes in though. I've seen that disappointed look before too. But it was when Sean was doing hook turn landings with the 206.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

11/2/07
Well, sir,
that's an honest question.
Having almost retired from the
'real' world myself, this is what
has worked for me.
Jumping and shooting video & 35mm
of tandems is not only a lot of
fun but also keeps your flying
skills sharp. With 800 jumps under
your belt, you should have a friend
that does video and I have not known
one cameraman that will not go out
of his way to share the knowledge he
has learned to help another cameraman.
By doing this, you get a jump paid for,
make some money, but most important
of all, you will give someone a DVD of
their tandem jump that will give them
great pleasure and smiles when it's
shown again and again. Don't tell the
pilot that pays me, but I'd almost do
that for 'free' because of the enjoyment
I get for being able to share what I love
with someone that probably will only
make one skydive in their life.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Please remember, that all of the good
cameramen (and girls too) started out
shooting poor videos and stuck with it
and became good.
grace, peace & blue skies
sep

It's been almost two years since I retired. I'm fortunate in that I can still work part time (when I feel like it :P) making pretty good money, plus I have full health coverage thanks to my previous employer. I think it would be very difficult at this stage, for reasons others have pointed out, to make a living out of skydiving.

Nevertheless, you shouldn't find it too difficult to make yourself useful enough at almost any DZ so that you can at least break even. I hang out at a very small DZ and my jumping has very little effect on my budget because I have a coach rating, a rigger ticket, and I'm a photographer. Those three skills are enough to keep me very busy JUMPING at my tiny DZ.