Usetawuz

Gold Wing Awards

Just under seven-thousand USPA members have been awarded Gold Wings for having made 1000 skydives since Loy Brydon was awarded GW#1. I think that’s amazing! By any standard that’s 7000 impressive, individual accomplishments.

Maybe it’s true that, on average, it is now taking jumpers less time to reach the 1000 mark than it did in “earlier times”. I don’t know and I don’t think it matters. It still requires stepping out of an ‘aircraft-in-flight’ 1000 times, along with everything else each jump entails.

In my opinion that takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice! What do you think?

Got Gold Wings yet? What’s your GW#; when was it awarded? How long did it take you to reach that milestone? Any stumbling blocks along the way?

Got Gold Wings yet? What’s your GW#; when was it awarded? How long did it take you to reach that milestone? Any stumbling blocks along the way?

Jump ONE Earned 05 14 78
GW 2740 Earned 08 15 87
DW 1382 Earned 10 02 94
DDW ?? Earned 12 23 01 (Video)
4JW 698 Earned 12 27 05

Some kids came along, went to law school and had a spell of romance for a couple of years. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

made my thousandth jump in sept of 1979
just about seven years after my first SL.. always jumped regularly, and frequently...
However I only had an A license at the time...
after kids arrived in '83 and '85, i slowed down some... it took 14 More years to get to D W..
in the mid to late 80's i went ahead and earned my B C and D Lic... and then applied for GW.
i'm # 3176...
I sometimes wonder what my # would be if It was awarded in sept of '79...
jimmy tavino ( 36 hr FF award soon to arrive...;))

My first 3 years were spent at the DZ doing nothing but flying. I did manage to make about 150 in that time. I was at the DZ four days a week. I was able to get going in my forth and fifth year getting my gold in 95(5733). I just got my quadra Diamond at couch freaks boogie on labor day. My number 457. 5000 would be a lot in most places, but on my small DZ, the DZO and DZM both have a lot more. Bob and I did out big one at couch together for my 5 and his 12000. Mary just got he 14000, number 17.

those numbers still bend my mind:S

HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

GW# 6953, just a few months ago. Took 7 1/2 years... got a slow start due to college and a semester down under that took all my money (it was worth it:)
Looking forward to moving south and picking up the pace... need to catch up with my dad, who had a 20+ year headstart, and got his 4DW last year.;)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I made my first 13 jumps in 1966. Didn't jump again until mid-1969 (Viet Nam kept getting in the way). Got my Gold Wings in '74, five years after "re-starting". GW# 763.

DW#243, 12FF#216, etc,

First jump: 06/94
GW# 6584: 07/04
DW# 2655 07/07

Just the record, there are tons of jumpers who never bother with getting the awards. Me, I like the purteee certificates for my wall. Yeah, and the tradition.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

This might just end up in History and Trivia but here is a question for you low-timers...

Who signed your certificate?

Ottley signed mine.

Ottley signed my Gold Wings.
BJ Worth signed my Diamond Wings.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I'm sure there are a 'few', but I doubt many didn't
bother to apply for Gold Wings once they qualified. I don't doubt there are many qualified who don't bother with the subsequent levels. Kinda 'old hat' by then.

I'm not much of a collector either, and never bothered with FF beyond the 12-hour

I find this very interesting as in the 'old days' the jumpers I knew were eager to get their ratings when they earned them although i never got my Free Fall Numbers, I did get the wings.
Gold wings #66(42d civilian) Dec. 66
Diamond Wings # 13 Sept 69
D Diamond Wings # 5 Dec. 71
Made my first sport jump in Feb 62.

Hi Woody,

Well, I go back almost as far:

First jump: Feb '64

GW: #3047; signed by Ottley, with a very nice personal note on the transmittal letter.

Here in the Pacific NW, in those days, if you made 50-75 jumps a year you were doing quite a bit of jumping, as a weekend jumper. I remember when, ~ '68 or so, a guy made 200 jumps his first year. It was considered almost nearly impossible until then.

How was it down in the Carolinas?

JerryBaumchen

PS) One local jumper made the comment one day how it was not possible to get a D license within only 200 jumps. I had about 175 jumps at the time, did a quick analysis of what I needed and got my D at exactly 200 freefalls.

Times have changed. :$

Hi Jerry,
I believe our weather was made for sky diving. Very seldom did we get washed out for the entire weekend.
I was like you, when I got to 175 after 2 years, I decided that I needed to get going and make a few more jumps every weekend as I had a wife, 3 children and a meat packing business to take care of during the week.(She's still with me after 48 1/2 years)
I trained Bobby Frierson in '64 and encouraged him to get his D in a year(911). So, I guess you can say we were blessed to have such good weather.
Talking bout Ottley, he use to come down and jump with some of his buddies that were going to USC in Columbia. We would take him to Fairfax where we were getting tach time rates(Hop and pops for$1 and 7500 for $2.50). He never got over that and wanted to be a member of our Paracuhte Team (Vikings, we were from Denmark,S.C.) Everybody had a nickname so we named him Team Fossil...

woody - have not heard about you in awhile, i'm in Columbia, Burke is still around and Eric Halter is flying to Otter for us at Chester, you should come visit sometime, X-Mas party on the 15th
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.