heidihagen

tipping for tandems?

It may surprise you, but some "tippees" spend that money on beer or pizza to share with other dz employees; even personally delivering the goods.

Doesn't surprise me. There was one Tandem JM that did that when I was an office manager at a DZ. One out of all of them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

When I did my 1st tandem I didn't tip. Went back that nite and did a tandem with the same instructor. That next Sat did a s/l.

I do feel guilty about not tipping, but now 5 months later not much I can do about it.

I did buy my container from that tandem instructor and he was also the pilot when I had a major freak out at the door early on. The jm with his help got me out the door.

I have told him that thanks to him and the wonderful tandem I had with him that he started my skydiving career. I have also asked him if he would be on my graduation jump. (Hopefully only 6 more jumps)

Don't know what to do to make up for the not tipping now. I guess it's probably a little to late. So I do my best and try to learn everything I can to make him proud.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you want to tip, tip. I am sure it will be appreciated. I also think sometimes that maybe the biggest tip is going from a once in a lifetime jump to a lifetime of jumping because of a great tandem instructor.

But still wish I could do something for him.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

But still wish I could do something for him.

You can. :)
Show him that you are a safe and competent skydiver.
Watch out for fellow jumpers and have true concern that they too stay safe.
Do the best you can to learn from him and teach as you have been taught.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You still can. My JM in the early 80's was the same one when I came back into the sport in the 90's. I've done mucho to thank him for helping me both times, but never did the first time.

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I did not tip my instructors. But... when I finished my AFF course I gave a drink in the local bar... much more fun :). But our club is not huge, so I gave away free drinks that evening to everybody present.
It was fun B|...

In Belgium, the instructors are volunteers that took a AFF-instructor-course. The receive an etra-ticket to jump with a student which they ca use whenever they want I get along very well with them and sometimes when I ak them to learn me somthing, they say I only have to use a tiket for myself. That means that they do not make a personal benefit when doing something together... but in the evening of course I pay them a drink and we have lots of fun. I have the impression that they appreciate a person that is eager to learn and willing to do some more jumps...
-------------------------------------------------

No dive, like skydive... wanna bet on it?

Never expected, always appreciated. Not for the money but for the acknowledgement it conveys.

Having said that, it's very sporadically $15-20 bucks here and where. One time, a passenger very discreetly put a bill in my hand: when I opened it, there was a $100 denomination.

Our DZ has a similar sign. I get tips from maybe 20% of my passengers, $10-$20. Helps pay the bills and buy beer. I certainly don't expect it, and enjoy it most from those that look like they have a lot of bank to spare. I have gotten tips from young kids, like late teens to very early twenties, but I remember being young and broke and trying to skydive, so I almost wanted to tell them to save it for their next jump.

You meet a lot of great people in this sport, especially doing tandems.

If you are ever in Australia its not something you have to worry about. Tipping is hardly done in Australia, and when it is its usually confined to hospitality jobs, but even then its never expected unlike in the states. I'm sure the tandem master wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't give it too much thought here.

I second this. I like going to the same places (cafes etc..) because I like the service and hence tip often, but everyone looks at me strange. Mind you I do get better service, because its uncommon to get tipped here.

In the case of Tipping at the dropzone. I would not even think about tipping a TM or JM, as its not the sort of profession I see myself tipping. Most do it for the love of the sport and its not like you are giving loose change from the final bill.

Since my dropzone is so small, I show my appriciation by staying back and helping pack away the equipment or put my hand up to be ground crew on a demo. I have made a website for my DZ (not up yet) and regularly do odd jobs where possible. I also regularly offer to pay for peoples (who help, train, talk to me) slots or offer beer at the pub, or not accept their money when buying lunch. Ekkk reading this I realise I am a sucker ;) But with small DZs it is your place too and you are giving something that gives to everyone.

I also try to give by being a model student and not think I know it all, be as safe as I can, help out other students etc.. Of course I make mistakes all the time, I still suck at canopy and free fall but I am getting there, and I definately do not try to train the students (since I am still one), but help them walk in the canopy from the LZ, show how to flake it, talk to tandems if they are just hanging around by themselves etc.. Also I bring in a few people to do AFF or Tandems which also helps the JM/TM and DZ.

Also when you are trained up, you are another person in the sky. Which is in my books would be a very rewarding thing to a JM, or I could be wrong.

So if you think about it, if you hang out at the one DZ for long enough you do give alot back. And definately it might not be appropriate for all DZs, but there are always ways that will show you appriciated their help.

I am not an instructor or staff member at a drop zone,(so don't flame me, this is just a suggestion:)Wes

Waitresses are the only people I tip at restaurants. It is their responsibility to tip out their bartenders, cooks, dishwashers, bussers, sommelier, etc at the end of their shift.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was raised to tip when good service is given. When I did my first tandem, I truly had in my mind that it was something I wanted to try and that was it. My TI did a great job and I tipped him $20. He tried to refuse, but I insisted. After the first tandem, I couldn't get the experience out of my head. I went back for a 2nd tandem and requested the same TI. Once again I threw him a $20. Later on when I was doing AFF I went for tunnel training and the same TI coached me in the tunnel. He drove about an hour on his day off to coach me in the tunnel. That time I threw him $70. As for the AFF training, I didn't tip during that as I was ofcourse planning to buy everyone beer when it was complete.

I say, do what feels right to you.

Chris