BerryBoy

AFF or Another Tandem?

I'm at a point where I am too busy with grad school to safely pursue skydiving as a sport as I would not be able to jump regularly. It has been almost six months since my first (and only) tandem jump and I rarely let one day pass by where I do not read the forums on DZ.com or watch as many videos as I can possibly get my hands on (SkydivingMovies.com). I am stoked by the fact that I've managed to put away a nice chunk of cash to jump start my future AFF training, gear, and jumps to obtain my A license. The only problem is, I'm 18 freaking months away until I will have the time to begin jumping regularly!

I've been interested in skydiving my entire life, but truly obsessed for well over a year now. I don't think I can wait to make another jump before too long...spring is just around the corner! For another 18 months, I'm stuck researching and writing papers just so I can put a Dr. in front of my name. But how can I temporarily satisfy this urge!!!!!

My question is...should I stick with another tandem or do ground school and AFF level 1 as my one jump this spring/summer? I mean, if I'm forking out almost $200 for a tandem, why not add $50 or so more and do a level 1 course to get the most out of my one jump? Yeah, I know I have to redo it when I go to complete the rest of my training a year later, but is this a good or even bad idea? Safety concerns or thoughts anyone....? I'm assuming it would be respectful to notify the DZ and my AFF instructor of my intentions when I go to schedule my level 1....would this then be the DZ's decision or would a DZ typically not care?

I'm not an instructor yadda yadda yada..

Anyway, the most sensible thing to do was to save your money for (after) your AFF course and use it to do a few more jumps in quick succession. his will help your progress.

Hovever, we all know how awful it is if you cannot jump for whatever reason after you've already tried it. So if you decide to go through with the tandem, let the DZ know beforehand that you are definitely going to do AFF later on.
They might hook you up with a tandemmaster who'll teach you a thing or two.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

It is very possible that one or two half days a month, away from those papers, could free your mind, and cause you to be more productive when you return home and have to work.

You say you daily read these forums - and daily watch videos...

Here is my solution.... (I am not a grad student, so check my math)

Monday 20 minutes DZ.com, 20 minutes video.
Tuesday 20 minutes DZ.com, 20 minutes video.
Wednesday 20 minutes DZ.com, 20 minutes video.
Thursday 20 minutes DZ.com, 20 minutes video.
Friday 20 minutes DZ.com, 20 minutes video.

40 minutes * 5 days = 200 minutes
3.3 hours = 1 good jump, or a few good jumps, depending on how hard you push for it.

Solution - spend all week working on papers instead of dropzone.com.

Spend Saturday mornings jumping.

Now, if you can't still find the time... Do a an AFF FJC and level 1, if you want to. Maybe try to get a few levels done...

You can always walk away and come back in 18 months.

You will be "uncurrent" and you will most likely have to redo some training, but truth be told, your knowledge and experience never goes back to zero... Hence, in 18 months you will be pickling up somewhere between zero and complete knowledge of when you left.

It might cost more this way... But, why the heck not do it, especially to reward yourself for finishing a semester or paper or something....

What do you want to do - Tandem or AFF?

I would love to do AFF ground school and the level 1 jump.

I think the AFF would only be valid for 30 days anyway and then after that you'd have to redo it. Maybe one of the more experienced guys can tell you for sure.

Yeah, that's fine by me. I know that I won't be able to jump regularly until quite a while and am willing to repeat everything year later...it's just that I see AFF as a "better value" than a tandem, especially since I most definitely will be pursuing skydiving.

Here is my solution.... (I am not a grad student, so check my math)...

While you have an interesting and good point tdog, I rarely have a weekend that is free where I could run out for a jump or two. As it is, my family rarely sees me and they only live 5 minutes down the road from me. I fly to Florida every couple of months for schooling and vacations are never vacations when I'm sitting on an 80 page paper due while everyone else is relaxing. I really see no way to get fully or even partially into the sport on any level other than a jump during my spring/summer break this year.

It might cost more this way... But, why the heck not do it, especially to reward yourself for finishing a semester or paper or something....

I absolutely love this statement...B|

From what I'm gathering, it seems like I can do whatever...I just have to make the choice that best fits me. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me....but it seems like there is no right or wrong answer here.

I would love to do AFF ground school and the level 1 jump.

Then do it. IMO, currency at your level doesn't matter unless you are trying to complete a student progression.

If you just want a fix then go do the AFF FJC and your level 1. 3/6/9/12 months later (assuming you enjoyed the AFF jump more than the tandem), do another FJC and another level 1.

Repeat until you can stay current and go through the actual training.

Edit to add: The USPA AFF progression is designed so that a first time jumper with no previous experience can jump with instructors and navigate to a safe landing under their own steam. We get people in the class all the time who intend to do one jump and leave it at that.

If you just want to have fun now and start your training later, then do what you want to do.
Owned by Remi #?

From what I'm gathering, it seems like I can do whatever...I just have to make the choice that best fits me. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me....but it seems like there is no right or wrong answer here.

You're right. Also, doing the AFF1 will be more gratifying. You will get more out of it personally. Keep a "log" of the jump, it counts towards the 25 jump requirement to get an A license. (So does that tandem by the way)

AFF is fun and you will have a better idea if you are going to really stick with it once you have the time.

The main reason I think you should do an AFF if you want to though is because, honestly, most people get more out of it in terms of self image and you really can feel like you accomplished something. The only thing I would be worried about is that, if the jump goes poorly and you don't get back on the horse right away and make another one (that same day, to do it right) you may never come back.

Don't try to do the AFF if you can't take one whole day at the dz. You should leave on a high note, not a low one.

I am an AFF instructor and while most people do great, sometimes they don't, I don't like to let the students leave when their last jump sucked, I do my best to talk them into trying again. (with some retraining) :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

From what I'm gathering, it seems like I can do whatever...I just have to make the choice that best fits me.

Yup.
Enjoy AFF.
Let the addiction begin! :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Don't try to do the AFF if you can't take one whole day at the dz. You should leave on a high note, not a low one.

That is great advice.
Though i'm not an instructor, I am a manifestor, and occasionally we get students on our small cessna DZ who think they can show up at twelve, do a jump and leave at four; and bitch to me about it if that illusion is put to rest :)
Seriously though, hanging around the DZ is loads of fun. Talk to the experienced jumpers, ask for their 'good' stories; hang around after sunset and buy the "first jump" case of beer.
That way, you'll get to know many people quickly.
The most important thing, whatever you decide and however often you'll manage to skydive, is to have FUN!

Good luck ;)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Tandem jumps count as an actual jump or does it just count towards your free fall time? I must have misunderstood my instructor. I thought my tandems only counted towards my free fall time.

It counts, but quite a few of the 25 jumps are required to meet requirements, and if you have some fun jumps in between, you're likely to get to 25 anyway. I think I got the last requirement at #31. FF time isn't worth much to the AFF students who get more than enough freefall logged in the process.

I have thought about jumping out of a plane since I was a young kid but never got up the balls to do it until this past Christmas when my stepsister asked if I wanted to go with her to do her first jump (tandem).

I started researching it and two weeks later I was doing my first jump course while she was on vacation overseas ( I still haven't told her).

Anyway, bad weather had me come back to jump the next weekend and I hit the ground ass first, hard. I'm still sore but a week later (yesterday) I did my level two, got good forward movement, stuck the landing like a champ, and have already reworked my budget to put me out at the DZ every weekend from now on (weather permitting).

I think I would have had fun on a tandem but I don't think I would have gotten the same sense of accomplishment as I am getting with AFF. You also don't have an instructor doing everything for you which is probably directly related to the amount of adrenalin you get pumping through you!

AFF all the way.