RALFFERS

If you can't stand, can you pack??

If you can't stand, is it possible to pack?!?! [:/] I've been looking for a job for MONTHS and am only coming up with diddally squat! I've done it all, sent out resumes everywhere, networked through friends & family, followed [very good] advice (thank you) given here and still nothing...

I'm very frustrated at this point and am not sure how much more of this I could take. Figured, the best way to earn some extra cash is to learn how to pack. 1 problem - as most everyone here knows I walk/stand with the aid of forearm crutches; the only way I could stand on my own is if I lean up against something. Nonetheless, is there a technique I could adapt to be able to pack?

Thanks much!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Just sit down, scrunch it all up, and throw it in the bag. :D

As perfect of an opportunity as that is to scare the crap out of people and get a laugh or 2, I much rather learn something, work hard, but make money.

Flat pack ! ! :P

A buddy of mine mentioned this the other night - now I just gotta find someone to teach me.

Look for me at Hinckley. I'll be one of the few people you'll see packing that way. :D
Now I'm wondering if we've met... :S

In any case, I'll be there on safety day,and am hard to miss. :D

hook it. some packers are vertically challenged and have built a hook stand for tandem rigs. this way you hook the lines at the canopy, do your checks, folds and raps. lay it down and put it in the bag. walaa. done. better than flat packing because you won't have to crawl around on the polished floors you will find at most dz's.
if you have any nurse or doctor friends, have them bring home an IV drip stand with wheels.hope this helps

Just sit down, scrunch it all up, and throw it in the bag. :D

Scrunch is not a real skydiving word.

Yes, but there is not real word for some of the packing methods used by skydivers.

IOW their methods will never appear in a manual written by Abbott, Booth, Coe, Douris, Eiff, Fradet, Galloway, Handbury, Jalbert, Knacke, Luker, McGowan, Osterminchner, Poynter, Quilter, Reid, Sherman, Thomas, Uragallo, West, Yarbanet, Zahar, etc.

I flat pack, tiring as hell I must add, to pack 3 or more chutes in a row.[:/]
and I cant stand at all...
paralyzed.I plan to pack @ my DZ to jump :ph34r:

edit: spelling

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Pack on a hook while sitting on a stool, maybe?

By "pack on a hook" I mean having the canopy hang off a hook that comes down from the ceiling instead of having it hang over your shoulder. Don't know if they still do, but they used to teach this method at Perris. You could place the hook at whatever height would allow you to sit on a barstool and have the canopy at the same place it would be if it were over your shoulder.

You'd still have to get it from the hook onto the ground, but I'm sure you could figure out a way to do that.

edit - I just noticed that kosanke suggested the same method...

I've seen many people use those hooks in Hinckley, I suppose I could do the same.

The season opens April 5th I believe - and if it was anything like last year it'll be too cold/crappy to do anything but sit around and shoot the breeze; I could therefore start learning then and there.

On a side note: there's good news on the job front; my interview is tomorrow. Hopefully it'll go well and I could get back on track in affording everything I need (mainly tunnel time) to get in the air - not to mention getting the rest of my financial life in order. :)

Edited to add: thank you all for the advice and input, I really do appreciate it!