chuckakers

USPA & Skyride

As I understand it, USPA settled with Skyride under undisclosed terms. Through the grapevine I hear the settlement involved USPA getting out the membership checkbook.

Without getting into the case itself (which has been pretty much beat to death on the forums), I wonder how USPA will be able to omit the payoff..uh, I mean settlement, from the organization's annual financial report, which is available (by law, I believe) to all members.

Just curious.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There's insurance for everything.

Agreed, but still curious. Besides, even if insurance covered it, making a claim on the policy could certainly jack up rates or place USPA into a higher risk category. Hence, the membership checkbook comment still applies.

Too many situations like that one and USPA may not even be eligible for such coverage.

Besides, I bet most folks would like to know just how badly Skyride tore USPA (or their insurer) up from a damages point of view.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I bet most folks would like to know just how badly Skyride tore USPA (or their insurer) up from a damages point of view.

nah, if we knew, then we'd have to set up a PayPal account for tar and feathers[:/]

Can't you just put it on your expense account? :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I bet most folks would like to know just how badly Skyride tore USPA (or their insurer) up from a damages point of view.

nah, if we knew, then we'd have to set up a PayPal account for tar and feathers[:/]

Yeah, if he wants to maintain the amount his company gives him every month... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, if he wants to maintain the amount his company gives him every month... ;)

Hell...if he SKIPPED a meal, he could pay off the 'settlement'! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Besides, I bet most folks would like to know just how badly Skyride tore USPA (or their insurer) up from a damages point of view.

Isn't that one's right, as a dues paying member (owner)?

I don't post much here, but this issue really pisses me off and I had a multi paragraphed soapbox typed in this reply. However, I decided to delete it. Just pointless, probably. Kinda like bitching about income or property tax. At least I can choose to opt out of the USPA...

...and I did several years ago, so it's not like I have a dog in this fight anyway.

C Ya,
Mikey

only thing that bothers me is that is was a 'secret deal' like many settlements. I think USPA should not have entered into such a deal, given that we are membership based non-profit org.

It should be assumed that any deals need to be made fully disclosed to the membership. period.

TK

At least I can choose to opt out of the USPA...

...and I did several years ago, so it's not like I have a dog in this fight anyway.

I would urge you NOT to do that. If you really do feel strongly about this, Please.. Remain a Member of the USPA and VOTE in the next BOD elections.

We have members of the BOD and Executive Committee that are Direct Business associates of Skyride. Find out which ones are and Vote accordingly.

To those that think they dont have Dog in this fight, PLEASE open your eyes. If you skydive anywhere in the US, You DO have a dog in this fight. Skyride is using the Money they are siphoning from YOUR local DZ to buy up other DZ`s. Pretty soon they will be in your backyard too.

So few USPA Members in the past actually vote, every single vote counts. If everyone that is upset about the decision to settle this lawsuit quits, There will be no one left to Vote in a Board that will stand up for what is Right.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I had a problem with the SKYRIDE settlement also. So I wrote a Nation Director (Mike Mullins). In Mike's usual "no nonsense" manner, he said he had strong opinions on the subject, but is prohibited from any statement by terms of the lawsuit. I appreciate his directness & forthright answer.
I then wrote the new Exec Director, Scott. I got pretty much the same answer, except he added there was a possibility that the lawsuit "could have" go badly against USPA in court, and the safest course of action was to settle. I thank both of them for a quick answer.
I agree this does leave a lot of questions open, and I don't think USPA has done a good job of letting the membership know what happened. After all, WE are paying the bill, whether directly or through higher insurance premiums.
If we got "beat down" or "out lawyered", then that is what happened. We just want to know.

If we got "beat down" or "out lawyered", then that is what happened. We just want to know.

Do you need to hear them say it to know that this is exactly what happened.

Seems like a no brainer.

If not releasing details of the settlement was part of the settlement and settling was the best they could have done at the time... What you are asking them to do can get them into even more shit than they were accused of being in the first time.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson