B1029384756

Want to skydive, having trouble finding DZ

This brings up another excellent point. The reason someone would want to be heavier is to be able to keep up with their heavier friends in freefall (all people do NOT naturally fall at the same speed). At least at my dropzone, regardless of what equipment you had, you would have a very difficult time finding an instructor who could fall fast enough to safely jump with you and help you through your student progression. That doesn't mean there aren't places out there that could accomodate you - I've seen this question come up several times and there are a couple of DZ's that are equipped for it, but expect them to be few and far between. You may have to travel quite a way to get to one. Try searching for "anvil".

I see. Good to know. I found the anvil brothers website. Are most of those people big like me, or are most of them only slightly over the 200 lb entry requirements? I would have suspected the former before making this thread, now I find the latter to be more likely.

Done. So, I gather that I want at least a 280 ft² parachute so that I don't load it at a ratio much higher than 1:1, correct? Also, if I'm reading people's comments correctly, when I manage to do this, I'd be one of the top 10 heaviest skydivers in the country? That's truly astonishing. Honestly, when I first posted this thread, I expected advice from a slew of 300+ lb skydivers who'd tell me where to go. I see that isn't the case now.

Sport skydiving gear is build to a specific standard to earn federal certification. The max weight specified in that standard is 254 lbs.

If you have a problem with this, you need to contact the FAA, have a new certification created, and get a manufacturer to earn approval for equipment under the new certification.

The DZ has no control over this. I'm sorry if feel it's 'unfair', but that's the way it is. Being 6' 4" and 280 lbs, I'm sure you have realized that there are many things in this world that are not made for a guy your size. Skydiving may be one of them.

That is unacceptable. If I'm really forced into it, I'd have to leave the US to go somewhere that it's legal. I don't think it'll come to that, but I'd choose that over abandoning the idea.

Also, how is it that it's a good idea to force manufacturers by law to not make safer parachutes for larger people? This would only seem to encourage us to try to do it with the smaller ones, at a higher risk. That it's illegal and unsafe obviously wouldn't be a bar to some people, otherwise there'd never be prosecutions for illegal BASE jumping.

I realize you were probably being facaetitious with your suggestion of contacting the FAA, but if not, I obviously have no political influence to make such a thing happen, so my words would carry no weight like space shuttles.

Where do you live? There are dropzones that have special gear for heavier jumpers. If you tell us where you live we can refer you to such a dropzone.

I live in NJ and would be willing to travel a reasonable distance. I'd prefer to spend a few hundred dollars or less on gas, though if it's more, then so be it.

Ok, your challenges are going to be mostly gear based.

Most skydiving equipment is not legaly certified to handle your weight.

You have assumed correctly that Tandem equipment is, but it's mot configured for student operations.

This leaves a few options.

1) Buy used tandem gear and pay a master rigger, or the manufacturer to reconfigure it for student operations. Estimated cost for this is between $4000 and $10000 depending on the cost of the gear, and the cost to convert it.

2) Find and travel to a DZ willing to convert some gear for you. Expect a significant extra cost.

3) Find some used military gear certified to a higher standard.

4) Contact manufacturers and see if they have any heavy load options for you. Expect to pay quite a lot for this.

Now assuming you've solved your gear issue, you have the issue of training programs. You've probably heard of AFF, or accelerated freefall. You'll have the challenge of finding instructors that can jump with you safely, and this might be a difficult thing. Your fall rate is going to be very high, and if you go unstable it will be difficult for instructors to catch up and roll you over. I would be unwilling to.

I might recommend static line or IAD, but most aircraft used for S/L are small. You may be asked pay for multiple slots.

The only operation I've personally seen get someone close to your specs into a student program is SkyDance SkyDiving. find them at www.skydance.net This is not to say they are the only ones, just the only ones I've seen.

Good luck.

It is the AFF program that I'd be interested in. What types of terminal velocities would I likely be looking at (roughly, of course)? If an average skydiver hits 120 mph (correct me if I'm mistaken)...something like 170 mph?

Now that I know what weight belts are for, why wouldn't an instructor be able to wear those to fall at the same rate as me? I assume that a 140 lb instructor having to haul his own body weight in iron would be completely unsafe, but are 200lb instructors that would only need a few extra lbs able to work like this? I'd guess that if they could get me around the gear limitations, they'd be able to do the same for themselves with the extra weights.

I'll definitely keep SkyDance in mind, I bookmarked the page. If I don't find anything closer, I'll call them and explain my situation.

You say you lift weights and box occasionally. If you are lifting weights for strength and power you are probably carbo-loading (or not paying attention to nutrition at all). Why don't you go to your boxing gym and get with a trainer and nutritionist. Tell them you want to drop 40 lbs. If you are disciplined enough to follow their coaching you will drop the weight (you might surprise yourself and 220 might not seem that crazy).
Even if you don't lose all the weight you will still feel better.

I'm not a member at any boxing gym (or any gym, as I have plenty of my own equipment) at the present time. The only thing I worry about for nutrition is getting enough protein (I try to eat 300g/day), sometimes creatine if I'm in the mood to train hard. Other than that, I don't really monitor it. It's difficult for someone who can't cook (I set the oven on fire trying to heat a frozen pizza before) to eat right. I know I need to step up the cardio more. Luckily, I live an hour from the ocean, and am either physically conditioned or genetically predisposed to endure extreme cold to be able to swim all year round. I don't really have much of an excuse for not doing that more often, I know I really should.

Thanks for all of the replies, this is great to have all of this information so quickly. Even opposing views are considered, though I can offer no apologies for being unwilling to abandon my plans. Some of you say that it has been done before, so I don't see why I can't do it, and even if it had never been done, there's always a first time for everything.

There are some harnesses that are now being certified up to 300 pounds, but shy of military use there really is not the market for the manufactor to spend tens of thousands of dollars on certifying their design to higher weight limits then that. The gear may hold higher but until it passes the certification process it is not legal to allow someone to excede those limits. Certification involves a lot of paper work with the FAA, expensive testing and retesting. There are less ten a dozen makers of harnesses in the US, there is not really that large of a demand for skydiving gear in general and then at the upper limits there is even less of a demand for items that are outsie that 300 lb certification.

I would not worry about canopy sizes or anything right now, instead I would talk to dropzones to see if they have any harnesses that are rated to the level you need. Take your weight and add roughly 40 pounds to figure out how much they need it certified for. Anything over 300 and you will need to talk to a dropzone that uses ex-military containers or converted tandem rigs. There is one or two DZ's out there that do have this but they don't typically advertise it. I would contact Skydive Deland in Deland FL, a lot of gear manufactors are located there and they can help point you to them if they think there is a good match there.

If a dropzone has a container (harness and container are 1 unit) then they will also have the correct sized canopies to fit into it. Once you get certified then you can work with the instructors to get recommendations for gear, just know that odds are you are looking at needing custom and that will run $5500-8000 depending on how much bling and options you put into it. Skydiving is not cheap for people that can not buy used gear to work for them. [:/]

Do not be surprized if at smaller dropzones you would be charged for 2 slots on the airplane. The reason for this is the aircraft already have limits on it that 4 average size males are pushing, if they have to pull someone off since the total weight with you is over the limit then some places may charge extra to recoup that lost income. Just putting that out there so you know about it.

If you truly want to fly a wingsuit that is great, I've got about 150 wingsuit jumps and I love it. I've jumped with someone that is 265lbs in his wingsuit, it was a lot faster then we normally fly at (85-90 mph for that jump vs 50-60mph) but it was a lot of fun still. To fly a wingsuit you are looking at either 200 jumps in 18 months or 500 jumps for the starting point if you are jumping less frequently.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Here's a few threads with others who have gone through the same issues. You might get in touch with some of the posters on those threads:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3069173
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2406388
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That is unacceptable. If I'm really forced into it, I'd have to leave the US to go somewhere that it's legal. I don't think it'll come to that, but I'd choose that over abandoning the idea.

I doubt you'd have any success going that route. While the FAA may not have jurisdiction anywhere else other countries do actually have their own civil aviation organisations. Other countries also abide by the manufacturers' recommendations on maximum loading; one guy pitched up for my first jump course weighing around 110 kg (240lb); he wasn't allowed to do the course. He had somehow missed the bit where they tell you maximum 100kg. We may not have a litigation-happy society like the US, but that doesn't mean DZs are negligent about safety as a result.

It may surprise you, but some countries actually have stricter requirements on a number of issues (like certain licence or ratings requirements) than the US does, by the way.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

So, I gather that I want at least a 280 ft² parachute so that I don't load it at a ratio much higher than 1:1, correct?

Don't forget to add on another 40 lbs to account for the weight of the gear. So you're looking at AT LEAST a 320 sq ft canopy.

So, I gather that I want at least a 280 ft² parachute so that I don't load it at a ratio much higher than 1:1, correct?

Probably correct in the "intermediate" sense... but for AFF I am jumping a 270 canopy @ 130 exit weight (I weigh 110 - 115). In my 5 jumps I have landed down wind 1.2km off dropzone in somebodies yard into an extreme PLF (jump 2) and on jump 4 I dislocated my shoulder from a hard spinning opening.

Skydiving isn't always smooth, jumping at a 1:1 on your AFF's when you're inexperienced would be very suss IMO, but then again I'm only a new student jumper.

Some of you say that it has been done before, so I don't see why I can't do it, and even if it had never been done, there's always a first time for everything.

Why are you so opposed to losing weight?

I get an "i dont want to change for anybody" vibe from your posts. Just remember you are asking the instructors to jepordise their safety, your safety and their job for you unwilling to try and give some room to work. Its not just as simple as wearing a weight belt and everything being OK.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Also, how is it that it's a good idea to force manufacturers by law to not make safer parachutes for larger people?

Essentially the manufacturers developed the regulations for the FAA.

You want the manufacturers to make heavier gear? Create a market. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to have a new design certified.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My dad graduated AFF last season using a ex-military system called the MC-4 made by Para-Flite. It's rated to 360 lbs (exit weight limit) and has the same size main and reserve. He was 260lbs and a total exit weight after gear was around 310lbs. He is 6'6" tall, so his body style is good. I also had a cypres 1 installed for safety. I'm thinking about selling this one, but I'm not sure yet. There is one for sale in the classifieds for $800 right now, just do a search (I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way). I will say that at the DZ we were jumping, there were a couple ex-military AFF instructors that were willing to work with a student with his weight (fall rate) and the different equipment (DZ is in Washington State, so it's a little far from NJ). I'm sure a lot of DZ's would not.

All said and done, he lost some weight after AFF and said he wished he had done it sooner. He feels better overall and has more strength and flexibility skydiving does require.

Hope this helps.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Yeah, Bigun's been great with information.

My plan is to make my first jump at my current weight simply because I'm anxious to try it, then try to drop a few lbs while I'm getting money together to get a class A license. Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I'll post something to let everyone know how my first jump goes and then I'll proceed from there.

I'm glad to see that BIGUN has gotten you the information you need. It is definitely possible for larger guys to learn to skydive, though you will find challenges. There will be times that you won't be able to jump with others, simply because they can't keep up with you (order a good jump suit designed for your weight). In some aircraft (C182, etc.), you will need to understand that weight and balance in the aircraft directly affects safety. You may occasionally be asked to bump from a particular load due to weight issues.

I was 270 lbs when I made my first jump. Skydiving actually inspired me to lose almost a 100 lbs over the next 6 months. I think that I was in the low 200's when I graduated from the static line program. Unfortunately. I gained all of it back plus some. The last time I went skydiving (1-2 yrs ago), I was over 300 lbs. and exceeding the limits of my particular gear by about 20-30 lbs. I don't recommend that though.

I have recently lost 60 lbs through Weight Watchers and exercise. I highly recommend Weight Watchers. If you will follow the program, it works.

I had quit skydiving for medical reasons related to weight, diabetes and high blood pressure. With my weight loss and the right meds, my doctor has recently released me to fly and skydive, so I'm going to be starting back this month. If you're ever in North Texas, let me know. I'd be glad to jump with you.

Kenny G.

P.S. One important gear issue, that I've learned the hard way. Even gear designed for larger loads such as the military rigs that previous posters have mentioned, can still have weight related issues. I once had a military rig open extremely fast, due to speed, packing, etc. Fast openings translate to "HARD". I separated my ribs from the surrounding tissue, resulting in a hernia. Extremely painful at the time and even more so over the next few months as the hernia did its thing.