DeepC

Tracking speed

I know that when I track depending on how aggressive I am that my vertical speed is anywhere from 130 to 150. I cannot find a resource that tells me what my horizontal speed is. Does anyone know how to figure this one out?

I know that when I track depending on how aggressive I am that my vertical speed is anywhere from 130 to 150. I cannot find a resource that tells me what my horizontal speed is. Does anyone know how to figure this one out?

If you're going 130 to 150 while tracking, you need to practice your track. A good flat max track should not have a fall rate much faster than belly-to-earth terminal, if faster at all. Some people can even slow down a bit while tracking.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There isn't one, and you can't. The only way to get an idea of your horizontal speed would be to measure it directly.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I wondered about this as well. I knew what my vertical speed on a tracking dive from my AltiTrack, around 90-95. I finally got a small GPS, a Garmin ForeTrex 201, and know now that my horizontal speed is around 70.
Obviously, I am not a stellar tracker, but it is nice to know the numbers, as well as having pretty much instant feedback to know what improves the numbers and what does not.
As usual, YMMV.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

What Mr. Bigun means is that with a vertical speed that high, you're probably not generating much horizontal speed. In a good track, your vertical speed will probably be not much higher than in a normal flat freefall. There are numerous past posts about how to achieve this.

If you're interested in actually measuring the horizontal component of your track, check the wingsuit forum. There have been a lot of discussions about the use of GPS in freefall to plot ground track vs. time to calculate horizontal (ground) speed.

The key to a good track is: Learn the right technique and practice, practice, practice.;)

Kevin K.

What Mr. Bigun means is that with a vertical speed that high, you're probably not generating much horizontal speed..

This is very wrong... you need vertical speed to generate horizontal speed...
Look at the speeds of "Tracking Derby", vert speed approx 120-130 mph, horizontal speed approx 180-190 mph.
And YES, I am a person who believes that Tracking Derby is NOT "tracking", it's just a contest on what max distance you can get in a delimited timeframe.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Tracking "fast" will not save your life, tracking far will.

I love being able to look between my legs and see people 500 feet below me because they track like rocks. You track down there, I will track up here. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I know that when I track depending on how aggressive I am that my vertical speed is anywhere from 130 to 150.

Maybe you're getting fooled by your instrumentation?

Vertical speed measurement gadgets do have some limitations due to the messy airflow they can be in.

For example, for short breakoff tracking after RW, my Protrack mounted outside my Protec helmet typically shows a big rise in speed up to 150 mph or the like. This is clearly a temporary artifact of changed body position. (When I do long tracks for the whole jump I get sub-80 mph, so I know how to track.)

What Mr. Bigun means is that with a vertical speed that high, you're probably not generating much horizontal speed..

In this instance Bigun is probably right - ok, in tracking derby people intentionally track steeper with body positions tailored to pick up more speed in both vertical and horizontal planes - with students and low exp jumpers though, the high vertical speeds are usually because their tracking poition is crap.

I bet you my low vert speed max track is going faster forwards than the OP's high vert speed student 'track'.

You may be right about the instrumentation. I use a wrist mount Altitrack, and the documentation says certain positions will cause anomalous readings.

The rest of you are right that I need to practice better tracking. I have actually been doing this on purpose because it's fun. I enjoy the feeling of speed, but this type of tracking won't help me for relative work.

Please note: I have been making sure that I fly a 90 to the jump run to stay out of others airspace.

Tracking "fast" will not save your life, tracking far will.

You can track far either slowly or quickly though, which one makes sense depends on the application.

If your descent rate is 120-130 and your forward speed is 180, you're going to go further (discounting upper winds) than if your descent rate is 80 and your forward speed is 95, which is why tracking derby requires a steeper body position.

That said, you can't get up to 180 in the 1000-1500 ft you have after break-off to get away from everyone, so a slower/flatter track is more appropriate.

If your descent rate is 120-130 and your forward speed is 180, you're going to go further (discounting upper winds) than if your descent rate is 80 and your forward speed is 95, which is why tracking derby requires a steeper body position.

No.

Tracking Derby requires a steeper position because it is judged by how far you can go in a certain amount of time, rather than a certain amount of height.

A good flat max track should not have a fall rate much faster than belly-to-earth terminal, if faster at all.

Good flat track is always slower than belly to earth terminal.

Some people can even slow down a bit while tracking.

Some people can actually reduce their vertical speed close to 60% while flat tracking

Look at the speeds of "Tracking Derby", vert speed approx 120-130 mph, horizontal speed approx 180-190 mph.
And YES, I am a person who believes that Tracking Derby is NOT "tracking", it's just a contest on what max distance you can get in a delimited timeframe.

If those speeds you give are correct, that's a lift to drag ratio of 1.5:1, a pretty flat track. The tracking contests I've heard of in the U.S. are judged on maximum distance from a given height, with time not a consideration. This is also the goal when tracking for separation from other jumpers. I know my fall rate slows down when I do a good track. I have no idea what my forward speed is but I do cover some ground. The question now is "Which tracking method has the flattest glide ratio, the fast falling one or the slow falling one?"

My intuition says the slow falling one, but I have no empirical evidence.

Wingsuit jumpers have used the audible-sized Wintec WBT-201 Bluetooth Data Logger GPS.

Get one of these, turn it on in the plane and make sure it's near a window, then just before jumping, slip it in your audible pocket (best results if it's not a covered audible pocket, and you can slip in the audible without taking off the helmet) and do your thing.

When you land, plug (can do either USB or Bluetooth) the tiny Wintec WBT-201 into your laptop computer and view your altitude/distance graph (including both horizontal and vertical speed), or superimpose your tracking tracjectory on Google Earth, etc. A GPS logger essentially logs your XYZ coordinates once a second in all three dimensions and works wonderfully with many wingsuit jumpers. Currently, it is a favourite GPS because of the quality of wingsuit trajectory logging (i.e. proven useful for skydiving -- search the wingsuit forum)

If you get a Garmin branded wrist mounted GPS, get the 301 or later instead of 201 because it is MUCH better: Locks onto a GPS signal much more quickly. In addition, just make sure you get a GPS lock while on the ground before entering the airplane, the warm-start "Reacquire" time is always faster (just wait at jump door for 2 seconds - easily done during an exit count) than the cold-start time (need 30 seconds to initalize)

Of course, GPS is something of more serious interest to serious tracking derby people and wingsuit jumpers, and is overkill if you only have a passing curiousity about your horizontal speed.

[EDIT: Checked, if a wrist mount is used, the best wrist mounted Garmin GPS would be the 205 and 305 because of better GPS 'sensitivity' -- I doublechecked.]

Tracking Derby requires a steeper position because it is judged by how far you can go in a certain amount of time, rather than a certain amount of height.

I'm not familiar with Tracking Derbies. Sounds more like a speed contest than a distance contest. The Lodi tracking competition, as I understand it, is best distance from a given altitude, without time consideration. That would mean the flattest track would win, regardless of speed.

Its not really that easy, since you would need to know the exact winds at different altitudes in order to come up with any conclusions of a efficient track in terms of altitude loss for example..

True, but it's the most accurate known means of measurement and GPS is recommended by www.trackingderby.com -- they have custom software recommendations to analyze this GPS data. It wouldn't be perfect, but would probably be the most accurate method known to skydivers at this time.

I could be wrong, but I think there is additional software (Excel macro?) that even allows you to enter winds and vectors at different altitudes (at 3000ft intervals), and it'll automatically compensate for these during calculations. It would not be perfect, but could even theoretically improve the error margin significantly (i.e. when calculating horizontal airspeed instead of horizontal groundspeed). Anybody who uses this software, who can confirm the existence of such a tracking airspeed calculator?

True, this is only for hardcore derby/wingsuiters -- but GPS appears to have become the best tool!