DeepC

Tracking speed

Look at the speeds of "Tracking Derby", vert speed approx 120-130 mph, horizontal speed approx 180-190 mph.

Note that tracking in the Tracking Derby is downwind (often? always?).

And YES, I am a person who believes that Tracking Derby is NOT "tracking", it's just a contest on what max distance you can get in a delimited timeframe.

Very true. True tracking is about max horizontal distance in a limited vertical distance.

If your descent rate is 120-130 and your forward speed is 180, you're going to go further (discounting upper winds) than if your descent rate is 80 and your forward speed is 95, which is why tracking derby requires a steeper body position.

No.

Tracking Derby requires a steeper position because it is judged by how far you can go in a certain amount of time, rather than a certain amount of height.

All I was trying to get across was that slowest descent rate doesn't always mean highest glide ratio, just like with canopy flight. I didn't mean for that to get wrapped up with the rules of tracking derby which, admittedly, I'm not that familiar with. I was just going with the numbers someone else posted.