firstime

check handles in freefall

A fellow skydiver asked me a question last week.
"do you reach for your handles in freefall" In retrospect I said No. I am constantly doing that on the ground. Well those handles are not in the same spot while in freefall therefore I have just added that to my list of things for the muscle memory.

Just a little food for thought

check under canopy, handles moves a lot.

I check mine under canopy, shortly after opening.

Additional reasons:

Cutaway handle -- It would suck not to realize that your cutaway handle is flopping around, out of its pocket. The potential cutaway, especially at low altitudes, would suck big time.

Think about it: You're under canopy. Your cables are coming out and you don't notice. You're busy checking your spot, fitting into the landing pattern, waving at a friend. The cables slip far enough out. You suddenly find yourself at 500 feet without your main.

Yikes.

Reserve handle -- a reserve handle flopping around isn't good either. Potentially a 2-out scenario.

perfectly understood, but do you reach and touch
during freefall. I never did it but I will do it now. It
only takes a second or 2.
It just seems to be a good EP that should be added
to our (my) procedures.

We all do things different, but if it promotes safety
so be it.

I do a set of handle touches on every single tandem I do, now how about sport jumps?

Well, sometimes. Infact on the hop&swoop I did yesterday I left the plane and touched every single handle on my sport rig. Why? Well, due to the recent weather I'm averaging about 10 jumps a month (tops!) which is way low for me so I'm feeling rusty. Thus I thought it would be a good idea to go through my handles in the air (even though I go through them every time I put my rig on and once in the plane before I leave).

Now, on most sport jumps, there are other things to be concerned about, such as diving to your formation or launching a good stable base, etc. Going through your handles in freefall in a group skydive may annoy the piss out of everyone you jump with since you're doing that instead of doing the skydive.

Under canopy I touch my cutaway and reserve handles after I clear my airspace, collapse my slider and stow it and stretch out my chest strap.

For another opinion and one that would definately matter for where you jump, I'd talk to your S&TA about it. I'm sure he/she would be more then happy to chat with you about it.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

After a day of tandems and the opportunity to go up on the sunset load for a fun jump with my sport rig, I find myself saying, "Don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue..." :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

After a day of tandems and the opportunity to go up on the sunset load for a fun jump with my sport rig, I find myself saying, "Don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue..."

I've done that, I've also left on a solo sunset hop&swoop and just as I leave the step my heart stops because I think I forgot my student! (as if that could actually happen doing tandems out of a 182).:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

perfectly understood, but do you reach and touch
during freefall. I never did it but I will do it now. It
only takes a second or 2.

I have touched them in freefall before, yes. I don't do it on a regular basis though.

I haven't had any high speed mals, but I've had a few chops. I still do practice pulls on just about every ride to altitude. I figure it can't hurt. Sometimes people look at me like I'm being silly, but I don't care.

After a day of tandems and the opportunity to go up on the sunset load for a fun jump with my sport rig, I find myself saying, "Don't throw the drogue, don't throw the drogue..." :D

:P:P:P:P

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Hmm, my handles are in the same spot in free fall as they are on the ground. They are in a very different spot under canopy however. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP