Brumby

First Reserve Ride

Not a major incident but though i would post anyway! Exited C182 @ 5000ft AGL. Pulled @ 3000ft and encountered an extremely hard opening. Looked up to see quite a few lines had broke. Cut away and had good reserve above me! Rest of jump went without any further event. Upon viewing the main it appeared 6 of the lines had broke:o

Hi Brumby,

Thanks for sharing. Do you have any indication as to what caused the hard opening. Did you recall forgetting to roll the nose, body position or put the slider up? Or can these things "just happen".

Also I have read about a number of hard openings on this forum but rarely have I heard of lines breaking, let alone 6. Would you be able to mention your wingloading, canopy type/size, age of lines (jumps).

Congrats on your Beer Chop B|

You sound as though you remained quite collected during your EPs. Well done.

Some info on your gear would be appreciated. Do you have any speculation as to how the hard opening occured?

Thanks again and Glad you're alright.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Talking of hard openings: I had a real pisser with a sabre 150 dont know how, but split my finger on left hand wide open, almost knocked me unconcious, and caused me severe back pain for 6 months. Evantualy asked a rigger to check my gear and he said the pilot chute was way too big for the size of the canopy. Had new smaller PC fitted, and never a problem since(touch wood!):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Don't forget to pull your stopping ropes!

I do not believe that a PC could have such a severe effect, especially if it is a kill-line.

For Brumby: Did you happen to notice if your locking stows were broken? Might be that you had bag-dump.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Congratulations! Hope you dont discover later that your back really hurts or something [:/].

Just curious, how did it fly with six lines broken? were you spinning? did it have a wimpy flare? or did you cutaway as soon as you noticed that many broken lines? (not trying to question your judgement, just wondering if it drastically affected the canopy flight or not)

Morgan

Sorry for not getting back to your questions. Been real bust with work and all! The main was a Sabre 210 (also centre kit so the ammount of jumps??????, who knows) Also, the lines??????? who knows but they certainly didnt look the healthest! I didnt pack the rig but one of the regular packers did and the nose was rolled tight! I am unsure of my wing loading but i am 13.5 stone on a 210! This is not the first time i have had a hard opening which leads me to believe the lines clearly weakened previously! The question '' what was it like with so many lines broken?'', Well.............it was all lines on the front so the damn thing was spinning me round all over the place, chucking me up and down etc! (not nice) I have not jumped since(not by choice) Dying to get back in the air but as per usual, its too windy!

Yeah, tough situation. I believe it's the drop zone's responsibility to maintain their equipment because if you're not packing it, the only time you see it is after it opens...

It makes it hard for new jumpers to start taking responsibility for their equipment because they really have no control. Then, when they do get their own, a bad precedent has already been set because you're used to relying on someone else's inspections.

Glad to hear it didn't REALLY hurt you... hope the weather cooperates and you're up again soon!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Glad to hear it didn't REALLY hurt you... hope the weather cooperates and you're up again soon!:)

Well ive been sitting up the DZ all day & typical as it always is, i have had to go to work & it appears the wind has dropped! To make matters even worse i work right next to the DZ so when/if they do start jumping, i will be able to see them :(

...watched a friend land with a bunch of broken lines...DZO walked out and talked with him about why he didn't chop.

...having not yet having a cut-a-way I have no room to talk but you did the right thing. And now you know what it's like and don't have to fear it and that's the best part.

blue ones!
"dude, where's my main?"

I had my first chop this passed weekend at Monroe. The rig was not mine and it was my first jump on the canopy.(Batwing134) I did not pack it and assumed it was going to be OK....first mistake. I had an instant canopy after throwing out, to then discover TWO perfect line overs and the right side risers pinning my head to my shoulder. It was obviously not coming out so I chopped, and got under my reserve after fumbling for my reserve handle for a bit. The raven 150 did its job, but I will be demoing some PD reserves soon because I did not like the way it flew.