aresye

Active Military and Parachuting

So I was reading some topics on traveling with a rig, and I don't have too much concern about commercial flights.

Right now my job in the Navy is an aircrewman on the SH-60F Seahawk, and am a part of the HS squadrons. Some squadrons have a policy against high risk recreational activities, and others do not. Ultimately it depends on which squadron I go to.

Has anybody else been in my kind of situation before, and if so, how did you overcome it? I'm hoping to get my coach rating sometime between my 100-200 jumps, in a way to demonstrate to my command that I am profficient in the activity. If it comes down to it, and they don't allow me to do it, then I'll still likely do it, just less often.

Another question I have is regarding oversea duty. Are there any foreign ports, specifically the east coast tour, that have any dropzones nearby? If so, have any of you kept your rig with you on deployment, or just rent from a DZ?

I'm sure somebody has been in a similar situation, with the latter more likely. Any input would be great!
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

If it comes down to it, and they don't allow me to do it, then I'll still likely do it

There you go. Minus the "less often" part. You can always beg for forgiveness, but I bet they won't have a problem with it. My CO in the Army didn't.

Is tooling around the ocean in a helicopter considered "high risk" for the Navy? Do you get any additional pay for that? Just curious.
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

<-- naval aircrewman Marine side of the house. my unit knows but it and has no problem with me participating. on deployment i went out and did 4 jumps, 2 in dubai and 2 in perth and the pilots knew but they didnt let it get to the CO or anything b/c it was strictly prohibited, i told him after he got replaced and coulnt do anything about it =D. you shouldnt have a problem even if the unit "bans" it. just tell them you dont think its a high risk activity if they caatch you and have a problem with it.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Be wary of shit house lawyers offering advice. There is a right and wrong way to go about this. First you need to find out what your Commanders policy is if he even has one on high risk activities. This same topic was brought up about a year or so ago and Slotperfect and I provided resources to the individual so that he could present it to his command in an intelligent manner that was supported by DoD policy. I found the old thread HERE. Give it a read.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for the link, and information!

Currently my command right now is still a training command, but there was no ban on high risk recreational activities, unlike the command for aircrew and rescue swimmer school. Some instructors try to tell me I can't do it, and others back me up by confirming there's no policy against it.

I found the 3058 manual, which covers high risk recreational activities, and includes an overall risk assessment form, and individual ORM sheets for each activity.

Once again, thanks for the replies so far. I don't expect to run into trouble, but I want to be prepared in the event that I do.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I am a HSL Pilot, former Ground Safety Officer. It is navy stance that recreational skydiving is a high risk activity. However, looking at the statisics from the navy safety center it is better than motorcycles. There is a specialized ORM sheet from the safety center that you can acquire. I had it on my geek stick but I think I got fried by the ship and now it is dead. I would recommend sending them an email, fill it out. In the case of any accident it will show that you performed the proper level of ORM and should set you up for success with your command.

SO OTHERS MAY LIVE!

I would suggest not talking about jumping around the squadron too much. Although legal, the safety folks will label you a risk and you'll have to deal with the ORM natzis. See my PM...
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Now this is just me... but if I had to fill out an organizational risk assessment document for skydiving, I'd also include one for going into a hot zone... :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Canadian military perspective here: while serving on board HMCS Athabaskan and HMCS Iroquois, I skydived in several foreign ports (France, Portugal, Puerto Rico, USA, etc.). Norwegian, Danish and British skydivers also invited me to jump with them, but weather interfered.
All I needed was a letter of approval from my ship and a promise to skydive within CSPA guidelines.
After I transferred to an F-18 base in Germany, I routinely skydived in Germany, France, Holland and even one weekend in Austria.

Skydiving was a far lower risk than drinking and debauchery in the red light districts of foreign ports.