davidlayne

Red Face For Red Devils

LONDON (Reuters) - The start of the Championship (second division) match between Burnley and Ipswich Town was delayed in bizarre circumstances on Saturday after a parachutist became stuck on the roof of the stadium.

Burnley's first game of the season at home ground Turf Moor was to be marked by seven parachutists landing on the field to deliver the match ball.

Six members of the Red Devils parachute team arrived safely on the field but one landed on the roof of the Cricket Field Stand with the Fire Brigade being called to rescue the stranded man causing a delay of more than 25 minutes to play.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

No one was injured? Why is an off landing in the Incidents forum?

in·ci·dent (ns-dnt)
n.
1. A definite and separate occurrence; an event. See Synonyms at occurrence.
2. A usually minor event or condition that is subordinate to another.
3. Something contingent on or related to something else.
4. An occurrence or event that interrupts normal procedure or precipitates a crisis: an international incident.
adj.
1. Tending to arise or occur as a result or accompaniment: "There is a professional melancholy . . . incident to the occupation of a tailor" Charles Lamb.
2. Related to or dependent on another thing.
3. Physics Falling upon or striking a surface: incident radiation.

source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/incident
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Instead of digging for that definition, you can simply go to the sticky at the top of the page of the Incident Forum to get what the owner of the site wants posted in that forum.

As posted by BillVon

First off, this forum is for discussion of major incidents, ones that caused (or could have caused) serious injury or death. Small incidents like your run of the mill lineover should go on safety and training.

So it got moved to the appropriate forum.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You can say this could go either way, but in light of recent events such as the "band bowling" I think if that roof hadn't been there this guy would have been into the crowd. And then Bill's axiom >>(or could have caused) serious injury
The lesson not to be lost is not realizing soon enough it was going south and turning off for an alternate LZ. And if the incidents forum is to educate and prevent accidents than I think this definitely belongs there. The crowd erupting in laughter sort of disarms the whole situation, and they can be forgiven for that reaction. What's more scary is some of you here think it's not that serious either. It's deadly serious.

Once you get yourself into a place where you're not 100 percent sure you are going to make it, than do something else. That's the difference between a Pro and a Bozo.

A respected demo jumper once taught me, "Nick, you have to start your final approach to the target in the airplane." But as we get further away from general spotting ability and steep accuracy type approaches as an art form, we are in for more and more incidents of this type. So, yes, as an object lesson, I think this "incident" does belong here.

Demos need to be conducted the same way you handle hand grenades . . .

NickD :)

The lesson not to be lost is not realizing soon enough it was going south and turning off for an alternate LZ.

And that my friend is the conundrum with these types of demos/teams...it's the nature of the beast.

First off let me preface my mini-rant by truthfully stating that I have nothing but respect for the military demo teams.

I've worked enough venues with... and formed friendships with, a lotta Kinghts & Frogs over the years.

I'm sure many things are the same with the Devils.

Hard working and motivated, well trained demo jumpers.

But ya gotta understand, in a Ma & Pa Kettle / white picket fence kinda world...these boyz ain't RIGHT!

It takes a certain kinda short circuit in the ole brain pan just to look at skydiving / parachute jumping and say ~Hey I can do that...there's some name for that personality type...

Then add to that, the gene that makes someone say ~screw it gimme a pack and a rifle so the neighbors can sleep...

As well as... What the heck, long as I'm skydiving might as well do it over big cities and into tight places.

Ya have a real world, Can-DO attitude that is priceless in battle...but can at times "Leave Ya Hangin'" when doing demonstration jumps. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

These guys do A LOT of demos and ya rarely hear about the uneventful ones.

One thing though~ :)

I'm bettin' that, sometimes even on the 'uneventful' ones, somebody 'got away with one' so to speak...

~ya realize it but subconsciously chalk it up as a win...unfortunately that shaves your safety margin a bit.

This time as the result shows, the margin pushed back, it can happen.

'The Teams' ride these guys pretty hard, probably not as hard as they push themselves.

It's happened before - it'll happen again...like I said, the nature of the beast. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm bettin' that, sometimes even on the 'uneventful' ones, somebody 'got away with one' so to speak...

Somebody "got away with one" all right. Maybe he did this and I couldn't tell from the video but when landing on a building aren't you suppose to disconnect your RSL and cutaway? And how do you cutaway a flag that's attached to your foot?
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Somebody "got away with one" all right. Maybe he did this and I couldn't tell from the video but when landing on a building aren't you suppose to disconnect your RSL and cutaway? And how do you cutaway a flag that's attached to your foot?

*** Yes, you are supposed to disconnect RSL and cutaway. As for the flag, there is generally a cut-away similar to the one on your rig.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

***ones that caused (or could have caused) serious injury or death.

Had he landed in the stands or on someone and caused injury or death (or could have caused) seems like an incident to me.

Or at the very least...given the sport a Black Eye! :ph34r:

>Or at the very least...given the sport a Black Eye!

But it only happens once in a blue moon, although it did leave the other skydivers watching green with envy (some purple with rage.)

Still and all...his 'night' wasn't Golden!