triguyjoe

The Great Leap, Michel Fournier attempts jump from 130,000ft on Sunday

I just pasted the first part of this story. The rest can be found on newyorktimes.com. The link is at the bottom of this post. He will attempt the highest jump from a ballon on Sunday. The link has pictures of Michel and his jump suit. Check it out.

He has spent two decades and nearly $20 million in a quest to fly to the upper reaches of the atmosphere with a helium balloon, just so he can jump back to earth again. Now, Michel Fournier says, he is ready at last.

Depending on the weather, Fournier, a 64-year-old retired French army officer, will attempt what he is calling Le Grand Saut (The Great Leap) on Sunday from the plains of northern Saskatchewan.

He intends to climb into the pressurized gondola of the 650-foot balloon, which resembles a giant jellyfish, and make a two-hour journey to 130,000 feet. At that altitude, almost 25 miles up, Fournier will see both the blackness of space and the curvature of the earth. He will experience weightlessness.

Then he plans to step out of the capsule, wearing only a special space suit and a parachute, and plunge down in a mere 15 minutes.

If successful, Fournier will fall longer, farther and faster than anyone in history. Along the way, he can accomplish other firsts, by breaking the sound barrier and records that have stood for nearly 50 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/sports/othersports/24jump.html?pagewanted=1&8dpc&_r=1

>He intends to climb into the pressurized gondola of the 650-foot balloon,
>which resembles a giant jellyfish, and make a two-hour journey to 130,000
>feet. At that altitude, almost 25 miles up, Fournier will see both the
>blackness of space and the curvature of the earth. He will experience
>weightlessness.

Not until he exits!

Good luck to him! And I'll back up the post regarding weightlessness. Not until he exits. Looks like he will also be wearing a partial pressure suit (from the look of it in the video) v. a full. There are several areas of the body that are not protected when wearing a partial. bummer.....

If i had $20 mil I would spend every dime on doing something like this. Pure awesomeness. Good luck to him and cheers to the Canadian gov for letting him do it. Can't wait to see the footage. If it's a success he should get some buddies and do a 4 way from that altitude.

>There are several areas of the body that are not protected when wearing a partial.

But then again, chicks dig bruises.

Glory last forever....:ph34r:

But seriously, dropping 20 mil on this and I would drop a 100K on a full p-suit. MUCH safer and it's relatively easy to manage.

I think he needs to work on his flips. Also, that guy is old! Hope his alzheimers doesn't kick in after exit.

If he is doing that jump with a partial-pressure suit, I'd say it has already kicked in.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

45 minutes remaining, he must be already suited up. Best of luck man!

What part of the world are you in? ;) This news report says it doesn't happen until tomorrow morning. :Dhttp://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/local/story.html?id=9374aca1-d564-4b20-a254-8bd79d50bb76

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Good luck to him! And I'll back up the post regarding weightlessness. Not until he exits. Looks like he will also be wearing a partial pressure suit (from the look of it in the video) v. a full. There are several areas of the body that are not protected when wearing a partial. bummer....

Water, and blood, boil at body temp, 98.6 F, at any altitude above 62,000 feet. He'll need a full pressure suit.

That weightless thing was funny. News reporters don't often know much science. :)

No sorry I was confused, it is happening tonight. I hope he is using F111 fabric on his chutes, Going from almost zero psi to 14.7 is going to try to push air into the pack, I wonder if zero P is going to not let it in fast enough, and compress it down a bunch. At least on the way up he has 2 hours to vent the air out. If he has done his homework, he will have pressure cycled the rig though.