tommythevegan

Pie Skippers

Pie rules are as follows:

If you reach the 100,000 mark then its a pie armada of every jumper in the US when they see you. It won't end for at least a full 6 months of pie slinging.:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know of more than one skydiver at the home DZ who have recently passed the vaulted 100 mark, and think they have gotten by without getting the treatment.

Any suggestions on how to correct this grievous oversight?

Just a thought, but you could, um, pie them.

Do what I did. 11 years ago, a friend had made his 100th a while back, but hadn't been pied. I asked manifest to page him to come to manifest (he had his tent and packing tarp outside). I waited just inside the hangar door for him. He never knew what was coming. SLAP!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

CRAP!

Here I am, approaching 100, hoping to get away with it ;)

Embrace it! I was pied for my 200th in the US and it was awesome, looking forward to my 1000th, so long as they let me get my gear off! :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Some people are lower keyed and really don't like the attention. Some are not in need of or desiring acknowledgement. Not all humans are loud, partying, looking-for-attention type people.

I've just made 700; that and one previous 00 jump (I think it was 300) are the only ones I even let people know were such.

Shit, there are very few people in my life who even know my birthday. Drives a few people at work nuts because I won't be on the birthday list and be a part of the "hoopla."

Respect your more reserved friends and honor their desire to enjoy their moments their own quiet way.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Some people are lower keyed and really don't like the attention. Some are not in need of or desiring acknowledgement. Not all humans are loud, partying, looking-for-attention type people.

I've just made 700; that and one previous 00 jump (I think it was 300) are the only ones I even let people know were such.

Shit, there are very few people in my life who even know my birthday. Drives a few people at work nuts because I won't be on the birthday list and be a part of the "hoopla."

Respect your more reserved friends and honor their desire to enjoy their moments their own quiet way.

I feel the exact same way. I think I told the person who organized my 400th that it had been my 400th after we landed (in an oh by the way will you sign my logbook kind of way), and I told one of the people who was on my 100th a couple of weeks later. I think I've only done one "00"th that I realized was an "00"th before the jump. It's not a big deal to me, and I definitely prefer if others respect my decision to not make it into a big deal (I'm with you on the birthday thing too). It makes it much more special if I can enjoy it in my own way.

I am very straightforward, yet also quite reserved. One of my things is a disdain for the long, and usually awkward goodbye. With my wife, I have to get her started on the goodbye process about an hour before I actually want to get moving. With me it's "It's been a gas jumping with you, take care, see you next time. G-bye and G-night" while barely slowing down for a handslap.

True story. Went to a 10-year reunion of my college radio station friends. (I was the Rock n' Roll Pirana). Near the end of the evening, still about 20 or 30 people around; but I was tired and done, having had my fun. The thought of working thru the crowd and all the awkward goodbyes (why are people so awkward when saying goodbye when they think they will not see the person for a long time or maybe forever?) was more than I wanted to deal with.

So I went out on the balcony, had a smoke, then using the drain pipe and railings from the lower balconies shimmied down 4 floors to the ground level. Nice and quiet, and actually good fun.

Turns out my under-the-radar exit backfired because I ran into one of the folks several years later and there was quite the discussion about where I went and why after I left. It turned into a big running joke about being a failed super-hero.

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Hi the,
Sorry to hear that you are upset about your troops "missing out." Oh well. Check the archives for other pie threads... too much fun!! One thing about Pie Rules is that there are really NO RULES!!!! just "JUNGLE RULES!!" so beware!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi the,
Sorry to hear that you are upset about your troops "missing out." Oh well. Check the archives for other pie threads... too much fun!! One thing about Pie Rules is that there are really NO RULES!!!! just "JUNGLE RULES!!" so beware!!

If they are truly jungle rules, then anybody who pies me has no grounds to bitch when I then proceed to go roll around on their rig.

CRAP!

Here I am, approaching 100, hoping to get away with it ;)

Ask bodypilot1 what happens to those who try to skip it.

Or peanut4040! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi pi,
You got it!! "Jungle rules!" pretain to everything! In getting or doing pie, "Anyone can pie or get pied for anything.. or nothing for that matter!" (See previous pie posts) There can also be side issues too.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I've gotta agree with the others who are posting re: 'Jungle Rules' - in my experience, a pieing happens whenever a licensed skydiver deems it is necessary.

For instance, a friend of mine was on a 5-day 'cleansing fast' on the day she got her A license. Which meant we couldn't get her sloppy drunk out next to the bonfire (in accordance with tradition).

So she got a pie instead.

Generally (at my home DZ), it tended to happen on every 100th jump until 1000, then it went to every 100th jumps. But that was a DZ that lived (and died) by the pie.

The only other thing to add - where I'm from, if someone tries to sneak out on their pie, the pieing only gets worse. And the longer the delay, the worse the pieing.

I've seen someone who went some 400-ish jumps without a pie party being handcuffed to a picnic table, then having to sit as every person on the DZ came by and hit him with a plate full of whipped cream. The 'Pie Brigade' was an event I've never quite seen equalled... :)

Signatures are the new black.

you mean this.........120 mini-pies after the 120-way record dives.

:DI remember that!

Doh........not to say that I threw any pies:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey