ailithir

what's the AFF beer deal?

I had my first "solo" jump last Sunday (my AFF 1) so I'm bringing a case of something (Heineken, Blue Moon Harvest, Corona or Yuengling) to my DZ tomorrow. They're the brands that are apparently popular at my DZ - I asked around. ;)

I got a call from the DZ this morning saying that AFF is cancelled for tomorrow due to the hurricane/tropical storm weather going on around here. So, since people will still be at the DZ, I'm bring over a deli tray for lunch....... and the beer I owe from last Sunday. I guess I'll just hang out tomorrow, eat, drink, try to learn something, maybe crash there if I have too many.

When is it appropriate to break out the beer? That's something I do not know yet. There won't be anyone jumping tomorrow, so is the beer light on all day? I just don't know that etiquette yet!!

:P

Always be kinder than you feel.

I take it that your son might not yet be of legal age to buy beer.

It's only important that they pull up a chair somewhere with their beer in tow. Don't just stack it up on the sacrificial altar and run away. In exchange for their beer, they should expect to get at least one story or piece of advice from someone who is willing to sit with them and welcome them into the family.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I was told a first anything once you graduate AFF, so my "first multiple jump in one day" on AFF levels 3 and 4 did not require a beer. However, once you graduate, there can be A LOT of firsts. First time riding the plane with someone less experienced...first staged flairing...first hop and pop...first time without a jumpsuit...first time jumping on a Wednesday after calling in sick for work while wearing mismatched socks and listening to a Madonna song on his Ipod and in need of a haircut...hell, just tell him to bring a case each time for quite a while.

Seriously?

No...not seriously. Did it come off that I was being serious? I have to correct that.

There re several reasonable beer lists to be found on the intertubes. As a general guide, beer-worthy events are usually:

- significant firsts (eg. first cutaway, first 100-way formation, first 4-stack)
- milestones (eg. every 100th/1000th jump)
- licences and ratings (eg. A, B, C, D, Coach, AFFI, Tandem)
- screw ups (eg. busting the beer line on landing);)

I thought it was champagne for your 1000th jump?

When is it appropriate to break out the beer? That's something I do not know yet. There won't be anyone jumping tomorrow, so is the beer light on all day? I just don't know that etiquette yet!!

At most places the DZO will call the beer light. Plus, you never know, the weather might improve.:)

Denete said:

I take it that your son might not yet be of legal age to buy beer.

In which caser a case of any beverage to share will be wonderful.

It's only important that they pull up a chair somewhere with their beer in tow. Don't just stack it up on the sacrificial altar and run away. In exchange for their beer, they should expect to get at least one story or piece of advice from someone who is willing to sit with them and welcome them into the family.

And there's the kicker. The beer is traditional. The reasoning behind it is as David explains...it's to share with your mentors and advisors, not with the beer hounds hovering around the DZ fridge waiting for the poor sucker that leaves beer unattended. Every DZ has at least one Beer Burglar who takes and never offers anything in return.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've only bought beer once. A single bottle at the Christmas party for one of my "most flown" AFF instructors.

I've gotten away with a lot, including my 100th jump with no pie in the face.

Suckas. :ph34r:

I hope you don't drink everyone else's beer then![:/]

I agree with what was said about not bringing beer, dropping it and running. The whole point is to work on friendships and learn more about the sport. At my dz for the most part we don't bag on students to buy beer. As a student the only beer worthy offense is dropping a ripcord or failure to hold on to it (most of us AFFIs catch them) at/after deployment.

We even ask in our A License oral, "What do you do anytime you do something for the first time?" and explain the reasons behind the tradition. I really hate when people are bitchy about it just for the sake of some free beer.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka