arl120384

Night Jumps

Getting my first opportunity to do night jumps this Friday and looking into what people have used for lights etc. I see the SIM doesn't specify any type or model of light, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what types of lights seem to satisfy the SIM and are easily attachable. Also, where do most attach the lights, rig, chest strap, legs arms?

Thanks all!

ARL***

your gonna get 100 different replys with 100 different opinions and light configurations. I have alittle over 20 night jumps and this is what I've done for lighting....1 chem light on my wrist near my altimeter, one attached in the front either on my helmet or chest strap and 1 on the back of my leg and lastly I have a Radio Shack joggers strobe light that I have attached to my hip/leg strap junction facing behind me that I turn on under canopy.

your gonna get 100 different replys with 100 different opinions and light configurations. I have alittle over 20 night jumps and this is what I've done for lighting....1 chem light on my wrist near my altimeter, one attached in the front either on my helmet or chest strap and 1 on the back of my leg and lastly I have a Radio Shack joggers strobe light that I have attached to my hip/leg strap junction facing behind me that I turn on under canopy.

Here's answer #99...;)

I have 100+ night jumps, on the ones not requiring pyro...:S

I also use one of those small chem-lights scotch taped right on the face of my altimeter...
(I have a 'lighted' altimeter but it's big and a pain in the ass to use, so I don't.)

I attach a strobe to the back of my helmet, and a small but bright white led on the front like a 'miners helmet' to be able to check the canopy and see the ground for landing.

I made a Velcro wrist 'holster' for a 2AA mag-lite that i don't usually turn on unless i need to see something 'better'...if the sky is gonna be crowded, I take it off my wrist, put it on a rear riser pointing up and it lights up the whole canopy...hard to miss.

It's a good idea to keep the use of any white light to a minimum on the front of you, where it could effect your night vision.

okay who's got reply number 98? :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Glowsticks are tons of fun. Taped them to my jumpsuit with clear tape. And the requisite visibility strobe so others could see me.

I used a bright LED headlamp attached to my helmet for visibility, switched on only under canopy (and as a precautionary for an out landing). I didn't want it on my hand or elsewhere, since it would have blinded my night vision...

My altimeter was a non-glow, so I turned a glowstick into a braclet and taped it to the front of my alti. (Now I have an Altitrack, which has a built-in light.)

Here's answer #99...;)

#98 A tiffany lamp screwed to the top of my FF2, but had to take it off, it was so 70ish, actually two chem lights-helmet and leg strap-sorry for the smartass comment it just felt like the thing to say. Actually I DID SURVIVE THE SEVENTIES. does that count?
CYA,
Deegs

I have 100+ night jumps, on the ones not requiring pyro...:S

I also use one of those small chem-lights scotch taped right on the face of my altimeter...
(I have a 'lighted' altimeter but it's big and a pain in the ass to use, so I don't.)

I attach a strobe to the back of my helmet, and a small but bright white led on the front like a 'miners helmet' to be able to check the canopy and see the ground for landing.

I made a Velcro wrist 'holster' for a 2AA mag-lite that i don't usually turn on unless i need to see something 'better'...if the sky is gonna be crowded, I take it off my wrist, put it on a rear riser pointing up and it lights up the whole canopy...hard to miss.

It's a good idea to keep the use of any white light to a minimum on the front of you, where it could effect your night vision.

okay who's got reply number 98? :)

It is possible to get all A's in school and still flunk life~Percy Walker

The legal requirement is to display a light visible for 3 miles while under canopy, no light required for the freefall portion. I've gone with a chem lite on the back of my frap hat and a glow in the dark altimeter. Maybe a bit too minimalist?:)

http://uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#979

I had to check...could have sworn it was a requirement to have a strobe going under canopy, but the SIM concurs with you.

That's what I get for doubting a 'Fed'! ;)

Another good point in the SIM...bring along yer whistle! :)

Answer number 97 . . .

I've got over 50 nights jumps (not counting BASE) and I've always found all that duct tape messy and a pain in the butt. So I just stick a chem light in my teeth. I wear a wrist mount alti so when I look at it lights right up. And it works with a chest mount too. Under canopy I hold the chem light in my hand. If I see or sense someone to my left I put it in my left hand or the opposite way when needed. I can even wave it around if necessary.

The only thing you can't do is drop it. That just scares the hell out of everyone on the ground . . .

NickD :)

What's the pros and cons of packing up a chem light in the tail of a canopy? I've seen this done and it was pretty cool looking. My biggest concern is leakage, but I really like the idea of a light in my canopy if I cut away.... Anyone?
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

A fellow Perecy Walker fan. Way cool reading.

Are you him?

I think you (or he) is still alive.

Running to Wiki.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My favorite is the light-up suits worn by the flying Elvi for the movie honeymoon in vegas; now thats cool night jumping !

If you tape enough of the long skinny light stix to your suit, the effect is very similar.

Windy City Novelties sells them in bulk very cheap.

I love the night jump; wish they did them more often at the home DZ.

I really like airtwardo's flashlight-on-the-riser-to-light-up-the-canopy idea. Safe, pretty, and shouldn't blind anybody. The light stick in the teeth is a great idea too.

Course you could just break a couple open and smear them all over yourself.:)
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Getting my first opportunity to do night jumps this Friday and looking into what people have used for lights etc. I see the SIM doesn't specify any type or model of light, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what types of lights seem to satisfy the SIM and are easily attachable. Also, where do most attach the lights, rig, chest strap, legs arms?

I use this marine safety strobe that is designed to be clipped to life jackets. It's compact, bright, and easily attached to my harness with no tape. It's also Coast Guard certified, so if for some reason the FAA shows up you can pull that out as "proof". I think ParaGear sells them these days, but I got mine much cheaper at my local sporting goods store.

What's the pros and cons of packing up a chem light in the tail of a canopy? I've seen this done and it was pretty cool looking. My biggest concern is leakage, but I really like the idea of a light in my canopy if I cut away.... Anyone?

I used one once per the dz's requirement, but haven't since. No problems with it.
Another thing I do to preserve night vision is to wear sunglasses after gearing up until the door opens in the plane. Inevitably, someone turns on their bright white strobe on the ride to altitude. Of course, now I have to mention that you should remove the sunglasses before exiting.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I used one once per the dz's requirement, but haven't since. No problems with it.
Another thing I do to preserve night vision is to wear sunglasses after gearing up until the door opens in the plane. Inevitably, someone turns on their bright white strobe on the ride to altitude. Of course, now I have to mention that you should remove the sunglasses before exiting.

Easier than the tail is to use some electrical tape and put one on the riser, break it when ya get ready to board the AC.

I made this mistake once. Small Cesna DZ and I stuck four chemlights into the bottom (rear) of the cells and packed it up. I figured it would glow very nicely and not be a problem at all. Of course we wore chem lights on our jumpsuits for freefall as well.

When I opened, my glow sticks rolled out the nose (I did not tape them in place) and continued the freefall.

The DZO >:( on the ground watched 4 glow sticks fall to the earth thinking that a whole team had gone in. He was rather pissed when he found out it was just me not securing the glow sticks.B|

John
Arizona Hiking Trails

defensedevices.com = $16.95
http://www.defensedevices.com/emergency-strobe1.html

para-gear.com = $20.00
http://www.para-gear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=339

Yeah, skydiving gear is found cheaper at other sources sometimes.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ah yes, an old observing trick. Try red lens goggles instead of sunglasses. They work even better.

About 45 minutes before I plan to use the scope, I put on the red goggles. Another trick is to simply wear a patch over one eye. Don't let any white light get to that eye, and remove the patch only when ready to observe (or skydive).

But do the red goggles thing if you are not comfortable moving around using only vision from one eye. Some people find it disorienting.

A fellow Perecy Walker fan. Way cool reading.

Are you him?

I think you (or he) is still alive.

Running to Wiki.

Hell I think Im still alive, not sure about our friend tho.
Did you find anything out?

Well now I feel silly. You quoted Percy Walker, and I was thinking Walker Percy; author of Lost in the Cosmos, subtitled The Last Self Help Book.

Mr. Percy, to my surprise, died way back in 1990.

Mr. Walker however, died even longer ago, back in 1880.

Mr. Percy is an author I recommend very often on the topic of identifying and owning up to who we are. We being any specific individual, not a group of us, or we in a literal sense.

I am most relieved to find you are still alive.