npgraphicdesign

Skydiving vs. life priorities

So after 6 jumps into my A license training and I'm absolutely loving it. I know it gets harder and I still have a lot to learn, but I love it. I even dreamt about skydiving last night! :P B|

So my question...where do I place skydiving on my list of priorities? I have a full time job, college loans, various bills, but at the same time...every time I skydive, it puts a smile on my face and gives an unbelievable energy boost. I know it's an expensive sport, but at this point I'm thinking of getting a smaller credit card (2000 or so) and put all my AFF training on it, including some fun jumps and possible some money towards equipment...then worry about paying it off later.

Is it an irrational decision, or have a lot of you put your skydiving expenses on credit cards and just worry about paying it later on? :S:D

For some of us, skydiving IS a life priority.
I have never, nor would I, put anything on credit I can't pay cash for. I hate debt!

Agreed...but most of my cash is going towards bills. I'd rather put something 'fun' on a card and pay it off little by little then immediate expenditures such as bills, bills and bills.

Bills don't go away by not paying them though...and they could go up - A LOT!
Pay off the bills as a life priority, the sky will still be there.
My experience: if I don't do something impulsive I tend to make a much smarter decision in the long run. ;)

Credit cards are going to kill you, especially in this economy and jobs being a bit uncertain. You will end up killing your credit and long term being in a bind.

Pick up a second job (preferrably one at the dropzone packing, working manifest, fueling the plane whatever grunt work needs to get done). Use that money to pay for skydiving. That's how most of us made ends meet without incurring more debt.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Credit cards are going to kill you, especially in this economy and jobs being a bit uncertain. You will end up killing your credit and long term being in a bind.

Pick up a second job (preferrably one at the dropzone packing, working manifest, fueling the plane whatever grunt work needs to get done). Use that money to pay for skydiving. That's how most of us made ends meet without incurring more debt.

Good suggestion...i might need to get a 2nd job closer to home though, as the DZ is 1hr away...and I would have more expenses in gas then anything else....

I have put gear and training on credit cards.

I justify it this way: The season here is 2/3rds of the year. I spend an entire years worth of fun money in that 2/3rds of the year, knowing that I will be spending my winter working off the jumping I did over the summer.

I'm not reccomennding this approach to you, but it did allow me to get used gear, then sell it & get new gear, and make over 400 jumps in 2 seasons. Keep in mind that I gave up my other hobbies (record collecting/DJing and motorcycle touring), and sold off all the stuff that went along with it. I'm also pushing 30 in a career-type job that pays decent and have no kids. I cancelled cable TV and pay less rent than I could afford, as well as driving a paid for 12 year old car.

All in all I think it was worth it for me, as I am now at the point where I am getting over the financial hump can start getting ratings if I want, and the gear is paid for. Skydiving has been very rewarding to me but I really have set aside most everything else for the last 2 1/2 years, including doing anything that costs money in the off season.

If you don't have enough slack in your budget to make serious payments on the card (like no less than double the minimum payment), then I think it would be a mistake. If you live someplace that gets cold in the winter, at this point you would probably do better just saving over the winter and starting in the spring.

I guess my long winded answer to your original question is don't charge up anything that you can't pay back within a year :)

Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

why dont you just learn how to pack? I paid for jumps like twice so far.
I would never have been able to afford this without working at the dropzone.

That's in the works for my A license training, but...honestly? i don't think I'd be comfortable with doing that even if I could do a perfect pack job every single time. :S

So after 6 jumps into my A license training and I'm absolutely loving it. I know it gets harder and I still have a lot to learn, but I love it. I even dreamt about skydiving last night! :PB|

So my question...where do I place skydiving on my list of priorities? I have a full time job, college loans, various bills, but at the same time...every time I skydive, it puts a smile on my face and gives an unbelievable energy boost. I know it's an expensive sport, but at this point I'm thinking of getting a smaller credit card (2000 or so) and put all my AFF training on it, including some fun jumps and possible some money towards equipment...then worry about paying it off later.

Is it an irrational decision, or have a lot of you put your skydiving expenses on credit cards and just worry about paying it later on? :S:D

I am highly anticipating the day that I can jump as much and as often as I want too. However, for now I am single mom raising 3 kids and working full time. Every month, I rob peter to pay paul. I havent jumped since August, mostly becuase I can't afford a baby-sitter and afford to go to the dz. One day skydiving will be a major priority in my life. But as badly as I want it to be right now, its not gonna happen. I have even thought about stopping until I can jump all the time on a consistant basis. One day (God only knows when) Skydiving will be the priority in my life, but until then I have to make the best of my current situation.

Skydiving is expensive enough without incurring debt, I agree with normiss you should do it with out incurring more debt....

The sky will be there, that is why as much as it breaks my heart, one day it will fit nicely in my life....;)

You could fund your skydiving career by packing for me alone! I'm NOT picky!

Hmmm. We should start a program similar to Knights and Squires, and implement it for skydiving.

Think of it, they would pack for you, haul your gear around, manifest you, etc.

Then when the time comes when they're ready, you make them a skydiver.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

For what it is worth, while skydiving is a significant part of my life, if I cannot afford the jump, I don't jump. I spread out my A license jumps. I did let a few other things go, not my bills but less eating out, no movies, hamburger instead of sirloin, that kind of thing. I saved for my gear, though before I had the full amount I found some I wanted. Priority one was paying off that debt.

My advice, PAY AS YOU GO!
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I'll echo what daremrc said. I'm new to the skies as well but this applies to any situation like this.

Rather than incur more debt on top of what you have now (student loans), look first to see what you can change in your life. Coffee at home rather than a $6.00 espresso (or however much they cost - I don't drink coffee), invite your friends over for beer rather than go out for beer, do you really need the full package of cable TV or cable TV at all, etc. Go through all the things in your life that you once thought of as necessities and see if that designation still holds up; really and truly holds up. Do you have car payments? If you do, can you sell the car and buy a used one out-right without losing money?

Like daremrc, I don't have kids, my cars are paid for, I'm not pushing 30 so much as pulling it at this point (I'm 35), I work for myself so I make sure I am paid well and have all the days off I need. I have, however, made the same sorts of 'exchanges' I mention since starting skydiving. I have put other things aside to make room for skydiving so that the balance stays the same.

Not only will it help out now when you're young and still paying for college and working on a career (*gasp* I still hate that word...) and maybe don't have a lot of money - it will help you once you get all of those things sorted out and start making a lot of money. Once you get rich, it will help you stay that way ;)

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Bills don't go away by not paying them though...and they could go up - A LOT!
Pay off the bills as a life priority, the sky will still be there.
My experience: if I don't do something impulsive I tend to make a much smarter decision in the long run. ;)

That's the damn truth. I didn't pay a $780 bill one time and later on it went up to about $3500 due to collections, which I will never ever pay and it's already off my credit after 7 years. That happened to me with a few other bills too.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Careful about the credit card debt, don't run up what you don't have relatively reliable income to pay off.

I did put my AFF training completely on the card, sold my telescope to buy gear, and paid for the 1st season's jumpng out of existing savings. By the end of the 2nd year I had paid off the card, trimmed a few other hobbies back, and was able to jump on existing (and thankfully growing) discretionary income.

I never seriously considered ratings or such only because I have just enough free time to make about 120 to 130 jumps per summer as it is. If I start taking time to "work" at skydiving, that time will have to come out of fun jumping. (Stealing hours from the family or career are very unattractive options).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

You want to avoid situations in the future where you can't skydive as much because you're paying credit card interest or a higher mortgage (because you used your available credit).

The standard answer here is

1) Make more money, preferably by learning to pack parachutes. It pays up to $60/hour with some practice, in cash if the source is individuals.

2) Cut other expenses. 1/3 of a 3-bedroom property with room mates can net you 4 jumps a week compared to a one bedroom apartment. Fast food is much more expensive than sandwiches made from nice deli meats, bakery bread, and fresh sandwich vegies and doesn't taste nearly as good. Biking to work and on errands instead of driving will net you a jump every couple weeks and you won't have to buy new jumpsuits because you got fat. Netflix is half the price of a cable package with something worth watching. Etc.

$1 towards your 401K or IRA in your 20s does as much good as $2 in your 30s or $4 in your 40s without a corporate match. A match may make $1 now go as far as $6 at 40. You want the freedom to stop working full-time and enjoy things like skydiving when you're still young enough to be mobile.

My experience: if I don't do something impulsive I tend to make a much smarter decision in the long run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean like that big, shitty tattoo you have sown your ENTIRE arm?;)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

start a seperate savings account for skydiving, get a second job. put a certain % of every paycheck in it. Jump enough to stay current, and continue to pay off bills. once you have most of your bills paid and your skydiving account full (i.e. next season) go f*cking crazy and jump your balls off.

work hard and get promoted, make more money so you can spend more money :D

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983