NotBond

Exit question

I've been watching a lot of videos and they all seem to have one thing in common - the exit count seems to be two, not three. Is this correct? If so, why? Just curious......
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Not sure what type of videos your watching so I can not make a educated guess.

But I will make a SWAG guess.;)

Your probably seeing videos where the count is some thing like "OK, ready, set go!"

OK = just getting all in the jumps attention and means "OK, count is next"

Ready = is 1
Set = 2

Go = 3 and your leaving on "GO" it is a simultanious action/verbalisation.

So it may look like a "2" count and your not seeing the "OK" and "GO!" parts, but it may actually be "4" count when you add those two parts.

Make sense?

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Not sure what type of videos your watching so I can not make a educated guess.

But I will make a SWAG guess.;)

Your probably seeing videos where the count is some thing like "OK, ready, set go!"

OK = just getting all in the jumps attention and means "OK, count is next"

Ready = is 1
Set = 2

Go = 3 and your leaving on "GO" it is a simultanious action/verbalisation.

So it may look like a "2" count and your not seeing the "OK" and "GO!" parts, but it may actually be "4" count when you add those two parts.

Make sense?

Matt

Yes and no - it seems mainly on Tandems. Lean back, lean forward (1), back, forward and exit (2). Even shows on my tandem vid.

Is this so the passenger doesn't freeze on "three"?

OK now I know the context.

Tandem I's and the Videoagraphers they work with usually work out an exit count that is easy for the two of them and some times missed by the new jumper when watching videos.

The "OK" may be some small signal that you might be missing, it could be as suttle as eye contact. For me and the ladies and gents I work with they look at the pair of us (Student and Instructor) as soon as they are set. As soon as I am ready I then look them in the eye and that is my "OK", but I still yell it too!

The "3" is the "GO" and it is usually, as you stated, a simultanious event.

This count is kind of universal with maybe a word change here and there.

For example a very succesful RW team uses a physical count (as most do now) but whe nverbalising it use these words "OK, Ready, Set, Place", the place is "GO" but it also reminds them to "Place" themsleves in the air for the first formation.

Do I have you completely confused?:)
Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yes and no - it seems mainly on Tandems. Lean back, lean forward (1), back, forward and exit (2). Even shows on my tandem vid.

Is this so the passenger doesn't freeze on "three"?

Not sure about the first lean back, maybe just getting adjusted in the door, but think of the forward as 1, the back as 2, and the forward and exit as 3.

I've been watching a lot of videos and they all seem to have one thing in common - the exit count seems to be two, not three. Is this correct? If so, why? Just curious......

I'm pretty sure that's me in your picture. After we get in position in the door I make eye contact with the cameraman to make sure he is ready and to let him know we're ready. Then I rock forward (ready), rock back (set), and launch out the door (go). I'm also yelling "ready, set, go" out loud.

I'm pretty sure that's me in your picture. After we get in position in the door I make eye contact with the cameraman to make sure he is ready and to let him know we're ready. Then I rock forward (ready), rock back (set), and launch out the door (go). I'm also yelling "ready, set, go" out loud.

Yeah Brian, it sure is! Ok, that makes sense, and it's kinda what I suspected. From an outsider viewpoint, you don't see the initial "ready".

And if you were yelling, it's news to me! I was a pretty poor passenger that time - sorry!

We jump a king air at west point and students use a check in, check out, up, down, arch(off) as our jump count. I don't know if it is universally done like that but it seems to work as well as anything else.
"If piloting an airplane is flying, then driving a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, you have to get out of the vehicle"

Not sure about the first lean back, maybe just getting adjusted in the door, but think of the forward as 1, the back as 2, and the forward and exit as 3.

this is exactly what i've seen the whole season as a cam-flyer on tandems ...

step 3 is the go ... that's all
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Remember Lethal Weapon 2? They had a five minute discussion on what a 3-count was. Is it 1, 2, 3 THEN go? Or is it 1, 2, 3 (go on three).
All the skydivers I know go ON 3.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Remember Lethal Weapon 2? They had a five minute discussion on what a 3-count was. Is it 1, 2, 3 THEN go? Or is it 1, 2, 3 (go on three).
All the skydivers I know go ON 3.

I was wondering if there was some phycology (sp)involved here ;) If the passenger/student KNOWS you're going to leap on three, they might grab the bar or door frame, so if we exit on TWO, it catches them by surprise.....

If the passenger/student KNOWS you're going to leap on three, they might grab the bar or door frame, so if we exit on TWO, it catches them by surprise.....

I've been known to "no count" a tandem if I have a "grabby" student. Eye contact with the video guy/gal, nod and leave. Then again, I've done a good number of tandem jumps with the video guys at my DZ.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've been known to "no count" a tandem if I have a "grabby" student. Eye contact with the video guy/gal, nod and leave. Then again, I've done a good number of tandem jumps with the video guys at my DZ.;)

When I started doing video, the TI did a terrible job at giving a count. I never knew if he was actually going to leave on go or if he would stop and repostion himself, then go. I started watching for his left shoulder to come forward so I knew he was actually leaving.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

depending on the angle of the camera it can be hard to see "ready" or 1. which is usually an outward swing of the arm, head or leg, after the jumper in the group have made eye contact, nodded, or shaken each other to let the person giving the count know they are ready. then "set" or 2 is a swing back toward the plane. and "go" or 3 is a swing away from the plane pretty much simultanious with the jumpers leaving.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

depending on the angle of the camera it can be hard to see "ready" or 1. which is usually an outward swing of the arm, head or leg, after the jumper in the group have made eye contact, nodded, or shaken each other to let the person giving the count know they are ready. then "set" or 2 is a swing back toward the plane. and "go" or 3 is a swing away from the plane pretty much simultanious with the jumpers leaving.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

We jump a king air at west point and students use a check in, check out, up, down, arch(off) as our jump count. I don't know if it is universally done like that but it seems to work as well as anything else.

that sounds like the count for lower level AFF, i did that in levels 1-3 but now its more of a solo exit but you still check in then ready, set, go (and go on go) so yeah its like a 1, 2, GO!

Hell, lots of folks have said better what I'm saying, so ignore this if you want.

That bothered me, too. I've done one of these Cat B dive exits with two instructors and was instructed after watching lots of videos that had me confused.

It really is a three count (the way I learned it), but I think you don't see the first one.

The first one would be "out" (because the third one is "out," for real) but I'm already out the door and scared to go further out. I'm saying and thinking "ready" or some such thing, but I don't really move much except a little and enough for the instructors to feel me doing it (they are attached to you at this point). I kind of leaned my legs forward to let them know I was aware I was initiating all this action. This was not an upper-body thing you'd see on film. I'm sure my instructors felt it and knew I was doing something.

I'm leading the exit. They simply have to know what I'm about to do and follow. I don't need to make dramatic movements. I know, and they know, what I'm going to do; they just need to feel the rhythm, know it's predictable in its cadence. Nobody is doing this visually. It's all by feel.

The second count of "set" is rocking back, and that's more noticable to everyone. I'm preparing to launch myself, so I move back more noticably to do that AND to make it really clear to the instructors that I'm really going. I'm also going back inside the plane, and that's comforting.

The third is "Go" or "Arch" or whatever, and it's just launching out, or stepping out (from our plane).

I THINK that's what you're seeing because I was looking for that, too. Believe me, it looks counter-intuitive on videos, but in the door, it goes as you'd expect: check in, check out, forward, back, out (ready, set, go, or 1,2 3).

Hello? Hello? Ready, Set, Go!

Tandem was a little different because you can't move as well with the two of you yoked together, and the instructor on your back is heavy! And if you're as clutzy as me, you're facing a long spot and are in a hurry (you're not, but the TI is). I remember that as being a more two-count just because all movement was difficult. He just wanted a kind of In-then-Launch thing.

I went to a DZ once that did it like this:

The student faces the instructor and holds up his right hand (like a policeman stopping traffic) and the instructor holds up his left so you touch palms. You both move forward, the student turning right after passing the instructor and the instructor goes left after going under the student’s raised arms. You end up facing the same direction at the door. Then step to the right and step to the left twice, step and hop on one foot and kick the other across (or a small step forward on your right foot and back on the left), or holding your instructor’s left hand just step forward and back. It’s a swaying movement, forward and back, holding inside hands with your instructor. Then you change places, with the instructor going under your raised arms, then turn to face each other still holding hands. This means that you swap places and end up facing back the way you started, facing each other, or facing the other waiting jumpers, depending. Walk to the door and jump out.

I went to a DZ once that did it like this:

The student faces the instructor and holds up his right hand (like a policeman stopping traffic) and the instructor holds up his left so you touch palms. You both move forward, the student turning right after passing the instructor and the instructor goes left after going under the student’s raised arms. You end up facing the same direction at the door. Then step to the right and step to the left twice, step and hop on one foot and kick the other across (or a small step forward on your right foot and back on the left), or holding your instructor’s left hand just step forward and back. It’s a swaying movement, forward and back, holding inside hands with your instructor. Then you change places, with the instructor going under your raised arms, then turn to face each other still holding hands. This means that you swap places and end up facing back the way you started, facing each other, or facing the other waiting jumpers, depending. Walk to the door and jump out.

So this would be the Skydive Square Dance?