Guru312

Your brain is different...

Recent research seems to indicate that people loving novelty and new experiences have brains wired differently than those other folks. As skydivers we certainly seem to fall into that group...no pun intended.

Here is a link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20081201/sc_livescience/somebrainsarewiredforchange;_ylt=AkkVqFN2UP5pqUZuf_D4xUus0NUE

Most of the folks hanging on DZ.com and the two sister sites for rock climbing and BASE jumping probably have this wiring.

I wrote an article about the D4DR gene which seems to play a part in our perspectives on life. Novelty and thrill seeking seem to be very similar. I included links to some of the websites I used for research. If you haven't seen it, you can here:
http://www.aicommand.com/D4DR.htm

Recent posts here to this forum indicate that lots of us are pushing the envelope of novelty. Maybe night 20-man, tandem RW competition from 727s will be next.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I was reading some stuff not long ago on child development that included info on how much hard wiring went on in the brain all the way thru the teenage years as a possible explanation of why teens are the way they are. The wiring isn't complete until well after reaching legal adulthood - an interesting paradox.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

... explanation of why teens are the way they are. ...

What has always fascinated me is why jumpers are the way we are. What could possibly motivate someone to jump out of an airplane? Tens of millions of people are afraid to even get into an airplane. Their numbers exceed ours by quite a bit.

Until a few years ago I never realized what we do has a genetic connection of sorts. The really interesting thing to consider is what evolutionary advantage thrill-seeking could possibly have.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Until a few years ago I never realized what we do has a genetic connection of sorts. The really interesting thing to consider is what evolutionary advantage thrill-seeking could possibly have.

Perhaps short term risk yielding long term gain?
Nature can be very generous with indiviual risk as long as the odds are favorable in the long run.
Lots of Polynesians died crossing the Pacific, but enough made it to populate most of the habitable islands in the South Pacific.
If there wasn't a "risk taking" gene, we'd probably still be up in the trees.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>The really interesting thing to consider is what evolutionary
>advantage thrill-seeking could possibly have.

It's a population advantage, which is selected for in organisms that live in communities. (Same with altruism.) A few risk-takers among a large population will find new ways to hunt, new food to eat and new places to live.

There's also something of an individual benefit. Some forms of risk-taking increase the likelihood of passing on your genome. (i.e. Genghis Khan.)

The really interesting thing to consider is what evolutionary advantage thrill-seeking could possibly have.

Possibly the ability to remain cool, calm, and collected when the shit hits the fan and all those around you panic.

I've never been one to panic; but that characteristic is even more pronounced now. My mantra, as printed in bold letters on The Good Book:

DON'T PANIC.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

There's also something of an individual benefit. Some forms of risk-taking increase the likelihood of passing on your genome. (i.e. Genghis Khan.)

Translation: this is why nerds have trouble getting laid (until they start making serious money).

The requirement for a genetic tendency to be passed on is that it does not reduce the chance for reproduction. I would imagine that having the balls to go up to a girl and say "hey, wanna screw" increases the chance for reproduction. That advantage is probably offset by having the balls to say "hey, hold my beer and watch this".
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Translation: this is why nerds have trouble getting laid (until they start making serious money).

Funny.

I always tell kids they should learn to get along with, or at least learn to work with the nerds; because chances are they will have one for a boss, or at least have a few that will exert considerable influence over their career; if not their life in general.

Never thought about the sex-life angle. Best leave it alone for now though.

Funny.

I always tell kids they should learn to get along with, or at least learn to work with the nerds; because chances are they will have one for a boss, or at least have a few that will exert considerable influence over their career; if not their life in general.

Never thought about the sex-life angle. Best leave it alone for now though.

Well, it works like this: Once upon a time, there was nerdy, dateless Bill Gates. Now, there's the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

There was a show on the Discovery Channel about all different types of extreme sports. They were trying to show that people who choose to participate in extreme sports have a very high arousal level, which means it takes more excitement to get their blood flowing. People with low arousal levels don't need much to get going, reading a novel is a good example :D. The experts also mentioned that a high arousal level is why some people fall into crime in bad areas. They don't have any other outlet other then crime to participate in.

I don't think it has anything to do with genetics.

I start taking classes for my two majors next semester, philosophy & psychology. I'll try to relate what I learn to skydiving.

Oh, but it does! Google "D4DR" and you will see. Read the article I wrote in the OP, above, click on some of the links I provided at the end of it.

When I was told that there was a genetic connection to thrill seeking I thought the psychologist who told me was joking. She wasn't.

For what it's worth, DZ.com used to be owned by a company called "D4DR Media". Or something like that.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I've never been one to panic; but that characteristic is even more pronounced now. My mantra, as printed in bold letters on The Good Book:

DON'T PANIC.

AHHHHH THE GOOOOOD BOOK!
H G T T G...

Thumbs up for the non panicky individuals.
Wonder if we can jump from one of those lifts?????

Hitch hikers Guide to the galaxy for the uninnitiated

Wonder if we can jump from one of those lifts?????

From a Vogon Construction Ship?

Huge doors, mega altitude; gonna need an O2 bottle though.

Oh, but it does! Google "D4DR" and you will see. Read the article I wrote in the OP, above, click on some of the links I provided at the end of it.

When I was told that there was a genetic connection to thrill seeking I thought the psychologist who told me was joking. She wasn't.

For what it's worth, DZ.com used to be owned by a company called "D4DR Media". Or something like that.

You are right, when I was thinking genetics, for whatever reason I only thought about inheriting genes from my parents. They are completely different then I am. As a matter of fact, I am the only person in my current family tree that probably has the D4DR gene.

You are right, when I was thinking genetics, for whatever reason I only thought about inheriting genes from my parents. They are completely different then I am. As a matter of fact, I am the only person in my current family tree that probably has the D4DR gene.

So you're saying you have DNA sequence in you that did not come from either of your parents? You see where this is going, don't you? :p
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

... I am the only person in my current family tree that probably has the D4DR gene.

So you're saying you have DNA sequence in you that did not come from either of your parents? You see where this is going, don't you? :p

Ah...in your "current family tree"??!!

Ever since finding out that there seems to be this genetic connection with thrill seeking I've read dozens of articles because I find the subject so fascinating. [And, because of my fascination, I started this thread.]

So, FlyingJ, please tell us what you mean by your "family tree" post. The only thing I can think of is that you are adopted...or part alien.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

So, FlyingJ, please tell us what you mean by your "family tree" post. The only thing I can think of is that you are adopted...or part alien.

It just that people don't quite understand how DNA works... everyone has D4DR gene. DNA is like a blueprint for different molecules our body can produce, like different proteins. Gene is a part of DNA with an instructions (or blueprint) for one specific protein (or group of them). The difference between us is how this gene is expressed, that is whether our body will manufacture the protein said gene encodes or not. If D4DR is expressed more (compared to non-thrill seeking individual) that results in increased production of Dopamine receptor D4. Now dopamine is a funny little beast, this is what wiki has to say about it:

"Dopamine has many functions in the brain, including important roles in behavior and cognition, motor activity, motivation and reward, inhibition of prolactin production (involved in lactation), sleep, mood, attention, and learning."

To put it simple: More dopamine receptors you have, more you will enjoy feeling you get from dopamine bursts, which are most intense during most challenging activities. We enjoy the fact that we jump out of a plane with a nylon cloth to save our ass from gravity. This (according to wiki) gives us a great sense of achievement, or to put more scientifically to "reward prediction error".

To put this one simple (:)
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne