spindlee

Wearing two Alti's

I wear 2 (1 Analogue and the other Digital) on my left arm.
Like you, I use the Analogue in freefall and the Digi under canopy (I also have an audible).

I've not had a problem with this setup and no one has mention it as a safety problem.... One good point, when a mate got on the a/c without his alti, I could loan him my spare:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I took the four screws out of the backing plate on a Galaxy Extreme and replaced them with longer screws so I could bolt the altimeter to the Bonehead mudflap mount, but instead of using the strap, I had my rigger install two Chicago screws through the mudflap into the Bone head mount. Works great.

My first question to you is why do you not like the digital altimeter in freefall?

I can relate, for different reasons...

I've always felt that the dial of an analog is more intuitive... it's a quick visual reference that doesn't require mental arithmetic to translate. It seems (disclaimer: I've not actually used a digital) that the digital would require more thought in an emergency situation.

It's an individual preference thing too; I prefer analog watches, speedometers, tachometers, fuel gages... in those cases I have used digital and find it does feel like it takes longer to translate. Numbers are more abstract, less intuitive, to me. Others may diagree completely, hence neither has come to dominate the sport!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

My first question to you is why do you not like the digital altimeter in freefall?

I can relate, for different reasons...

I've always felt that the dial of an analog is more intuitive... it's a quick visual reference that doesn't require mental arithmetic to translate. It seems (disclaimer: I've not actually used a digital) that the digital would require more thought in an emergency situation.

It's an individual preference thing too; I prefer analog watches, speedometers, tachometers, fuel gages... in those cases I have used digital and find it does feel like it takes longer to translate. Numbers are more abstract, less intuitive, to me. Others may diagree completely, hence neither has come to dominate the sport!

These are my thoughts too. You don't actually have to read an anologue alti, you can just glance at where the needle is and know roughly how far along you are in the skydive. With a digital, you have to actually read the numbers.

You don't actually have to read an anologue alti, you can just glance at where the needle is and know roughly how far along you are in the skydive.

For me that's done by using my eyes in reference to the ground. The altimeter is used as we get closer to break off altitude and then under canopy for an accurate pattern to get to my point of maneuver in the appropriate altitude window.

And that, my friends, is why there is more than one product on the market.
;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For me that's done by using my eyes in reference to the ground. The altimeter is used as we get closer to break off altitude and then under canopy for an accurate pattern to get to my point of maneuver in the appropriate altitude window.

Fair enough. At my level of skill though, my eyeballs are only calibrated to recognise three altitudes: up high, getting low and oh fuck. :D

And that, my friends, is why there is more than one product on the market.
;)

Yup. :)

I use my mudflap mounted Neptune mostly due to flying wingsuit almost exclusively now. The nice thing with a mudflap mount with a Neptune, it is more low profile than a mechanical sticking out. When I do get my hands out in front of my face I put a Alti Galaxy on my left hand. I also have an audible. I rarely use an altimeter under canopy, mainly because I don't swoop, and I have found my approaches go better when I am relying on feel rather than distinct altitudes. As far as having a backup, the only backup I need is my noggin. As they teach everyone in FJC's if you are unsure of your altitude, pull.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Sigh....

I guess I am still old school....

I have the same Altimaster I bought when I was teenager (I had to save up for it) I usually don't look at it until after I open the main and I am in the saddle, airspace cleared, slider cocked and brakes released.

When I was a student you were not allowed to have an altimeter until you were off student status which was usually 25 to 30 jumps.

You had to first prove you could count and maintain altitude awareness, if you could not do that then no altimeter until you were ready for it.

We were allowed to have a stop watch to help you with the count.

Time and altitude, time and altitude, that was the drill. Build up that mental clock and learn how to read the horizon. Don't trust gadgets!

I still have my trusty old altimeter and on camera jumps or big ways I have an audible. They are there to remind me I still know where I am at.
Onward and Upward!

I too made my first freefall jumps with no altimeter. I got REALLY good at estimating altitude by looking at cars. I counted out loud as taught and it worked well. It was funny back then, an altimeter was something you had to earn the right to use by demonstrating that you didn't really need one. My first altimeter was pulled from a wrecked airplane. It was big, heavy and probably would have taken out all my front teeth if I had a really hard opening.

I collect unusual skydiving altimeters and always jump with at least two. A sarcastic jumper once asked when I was wearing three (two wrist, one chest pillow): "if they disagree which one is right". "The low one" was my reply.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I can see wearing two visual altis if you're using one for freefall and one for setting up a swooping approach. Beyond that, I think a person can pay too much attention to those altis when they should be paying attention to eyeball perception of the landscape below and whatever's going on with the skydive.

Personally, I wear an anolog on the back of one hand and a Pro-Dytter inside my helmet. I favor the simple clock face of an anolog. But I'm a non-swooping belly flier. I use my audible especially for bigger forty way type dives, where there are assigned breakoff and pull altitudes.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I would highly suggest you have MONKYCNDO make you his custom mudflap altimeter mount. I have been using it for a little while and I love it. I wear two analog altimeters and an audible. The mudflap alti is great for sitfly and when tracking off. I believe it is a much better choice than the Bonehead because its not ridiculously hard carbon fiber (so it will give if you bump someone or crash in a landing). Its also very easy to remove and put back on.