DustyP

Colored Lines...??

Yes, the lines are out there for Skydiving Canopies as well. Flight Concepts Inc puts black, red and white on various Demo Team canopies and I am sure could do it for other canopies they make as well.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Hey Ben - Did you buy your Nitron with the green lines on it, or was that a reline with a custom color? I remember seeing those last weekend out at Quincy and thought they were pretty spiffy looking.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I seen a base rig one-time with black lines on it. Just wondering where to get them...

Why do you want black lines?

You shouldn't want black lines just to be different or cool. You should want lines that will make your canopy perform correctly and reliably. Color is probably the least important attribute for canopy lines. Don't ignore all those other factors just for the sake of being different. If you want black lines, make sure that they're correct for your canopy, and won't introduce some new undesired behaviors.

Hey Ben - Did you buy your Nitron with the green lines on it, or was that a reline with a custom color? I remember seeing those last weekend out at Quincy and thought they were pretty spiffy looking.

They were on the canopy when I bought it. I have no info to share on the lines, other than I have them... sorry. :P

Don't some canopies have colored lines because of a special coating on them to prevent UV damage? I know one of the up jumpers at my DZ has them, I think they're green, or blue. And don't CRW canopies have colored lines? or at least certain lines, like 'A' lines or steering lines or something?
PULL!! or DIE!!

>Don't some canopies have colored lines because of a special coating on them to prevent UV damage?

I've heard that, but I question the utility of doing that. Lines wear out from wear far faster than they are damaged by UV. They look pretty cool though.

You shouldn't want black lines just to be different or cool. You should want lines that will make your canopy perform correctly and reliably. Color is probably the least important attribute for canopy lines. Don't ignore all those other factors just for the sake of being different. If you want black lines, make sure that they're correct for your canopy, and won't introduce some new undesired behaviors.

Don't CRW [tend to] have a couple of different coloured lines? Possibly the ones used for the docker to slide down (?).

Also, it can be helpful to have the different line groups different colours - to aide packing perhaps.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Why do you want black lines?

You shouldn't want black lines just to be different or cool.

Didn't you choose your canopy colors? Jumpsuit colors? Why not line colors? Obviously the lineset must be correctly sized. Performance is virtually the same for all lines outside of the competition arena, durability and shrinkage are the only real differences and definitely must be taken into account by the user.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Didn't you choose your canopy colors? Jumpsuit colors? Why not line colors? Obviously the lineset must be correctly sized. Performance is virtually the same for all lines outside of the competition arena, durability and shrinkage are the only real differences and definitely must be taken into account by the user.

In order of importance, priority factors are safety, durability and performance.

Color choice is dead last.

If a color I wanted compromised the higher priority items, I wouldn't get it.

I'm not saying that black lines don't meet all those criteria. I'm just saying that you shouldn't just order them because they're "cool". You should also ensure that the other factors are also suitable for your canopy and flying style.

In order of importance, priority factors are safety, durability and performance.

Color choice is dead last.

If a color I wanted compromised the higher priority items, I wouldn't get it.

I'm not saying that black lines don't meet all those criteria. I'm just saying that you shouldn't just order them because they're "cool". You should also ensure that the other factors are also suitable for your canopy and flying style.

Look around the dropzone next time you are around. How many of those rigs/canopies/jumpsuits you see were bought with "color is dead last" attitude ?

many rigs out there are worth more than a decent used car - you better believe that color is important. Just not from the safety standpoint :)

yeah....

I agree with Johnrich. At 90 jumps, line color is not as important as wing loading, or a dozen other things.

I choose custom colors when I can, but with safety in mind. My main is royal with yellow stripes, a stock pattern, not custom, but chosen for visibility. My jumpsuit colors are chosen with visibility in mind too.

I'm not saying everything has to be international orange, but someone who jumps all gray, all tan, or all green, is more likely to have a collision, IMHO. Same goes for main canopy color choices. Now if the guy wants black lines, whatever, but I wouldn't waste my time and money on new lines just for the right color.

Are all your canopies blue or black, then? They are the most durable (UV-resistant) colors.

Is that right? I would have thought dark colors absorbed more radiation, increasing the damage. White would tend to reflect it, wouldn't it? I really don't know, since I'm not a rigger, just an armchair physics phan.

Look around the dropzone next time you are around. How many of those rigs/canopies/jumpsuits you see were bought with "color is dead last" attitude ?

I wasn't speaking for everyone else, just myself.
Fashion and "looking cool" are often treated with more importance than safety in this sport.
And I don't agree with that idea.

All modern linesets are made of safe materials. Durability is a tradeoff between longevity (Spectra) and trim issues (Spectra) or shorter life (Vectran, HMA) and zero shrinkage (Vectran, HMA).

The real reason I'm even bothering with this discussion is that a main point is missing: skydiving is supposed to be FUN! If someones fun factor is increased by choosing colored gear then whooppee! Probably hard to find incidents related to color choice. Incidentally the only canopy I've owned that several people went out of their way to tell me was very hard to see was solid red. Who'da thunk it.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

>Is that right? I would have thought dark colors absorbed more radiation,
>increasing the damage.

They do - but the dyes absorb the light and protect the fabric beneath them. Humans do this to protect their skin from the sun (they get darker.)

>White would tend to reflect it, wouldn't it?

Not really. Take a piece of white F111 or ZP and hold it up to the light; you'll notice a lot of light gets through. That's light that can damage the fabric at any point in its journey through the fabric. If it was more of a 'mirror finish' that reflected most of the light it would work, but the one silver fabric I've seen didn't work well. (no longer offered.)