Condums for water landings????

Perry Stevens first jump class in 1968 taught us to keep a couple of condums in the jumpsuit always. If you had an unplanned water landing you could blow em up and maybe survive with the floatation they would provide. He said it would keep you prepared for anything unexpected. Given the wild parties that the Livermore gang had, it seemed like a good idea.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

The only thing few condoms will do if i land in a lake is keep a few fish from getting pregnant.

I weigh 250 pound...I don't see how a few blown up condoms are gonna keep me floating.

My instructor taught us that the container will float, something to do with all the air trapped in the reserve. He did warn us that main will sink once it fills with water, and we should cut it away if that happens. I suppose we should disconnect the RSL before pulling that handle though.

The reserve will float...for a bit, then it'll become a 50lbs sea weight. Get out of the gear, swim to shore. I have a SCR number due to that process not happening a number of years ago.

Atleast in TX, if you land in water, first try to stand up since it's probably just a stock pond and about 4' deep.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Perry Stevens first jump class in 1968 taught us to keep a couple of condums in the jumpsuit always. If you had an unplanned water landing you could blow em up and maybe survive with the floatation they would provide. He said it would keep you prepared for anything unexpected. Given the wild parties that the Livermore gang had, it seemed like a good idea.

Maybe a couple of *ELEPHANT* condoms... human sized one's aren't gonna float shit....sorry dude.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Actually, its true. The reserve will hold air in it even while packed, the coating on the back of the container material helps too. Since the only way for it to spill out air is through the fabric very slowly, or through the needle holes it slowly loses its bouency, once it loses too much air... its nothing more then a weight.

When I used to lifeguard we would toss gym bags filled with clothes in and use those as mock rescue devices to show just how resourceful you can be for water rescues. The bags would only float for a few minutes due to the air trapped inside the folds of the clothes, but sometimes a minute is all you need.

How many little folds are in a reserve packjob? If each one of them only trapped a little bit of air there is still a lot of potential there to be held.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Actually, its true. The reserve will hold air in it even while packed, the coating on the back of the container material helps too. Since the only way for it to spill out air is through the fabric very slowly, or through the needle holes it slowly loses its bouency, once it loses too much air... its nothing more then a weight.

When I used to lifeguard we would toss gym bags filled with clothes in and use those as mock rescue devices to show just how resourceful you can be for water rescues. The bags would only float for a few minutes due to the air trapped inside the folds of the clothes, but sometimes a minute is all you need.

How many little folds are in a reserve packjob? If each one of them only trapped a little bit of air there is still a lot of potential there to be held.

Come on, we all know there is a small amount of air inside a packed reserve. :S

Is it enough to keep you afloat?

Maybe for a minute or two, depending on your body weight and the pack volume of your reserve, but these days everybody wants to have the smallest canopies and the smallest containers to "look cool". Which means less air and it turning into a quick BRICK to the bottom.

The thought of someone having the idea that leaving their container on as floatation device is frightening, and with this forum new skydivers are easily influenced. :|

"IF" you are jumping near any body of water, DO NOT rely on condems or your reserve to keep you afloat! :S

As soon as you realize you are going to have a water landing, carefully remove your chest strap, carefully pay attention to your approach to the water, as it sometimes throws your depth perception off, and flare your canopy as you would on land.
After your in the water, remove your arms from the container and free your legs enough to swim out from under your canopy if it has fallen over your head, then inflate your approved floatation device.

;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I would think you could trap air with a ZP main for floatation. I also think the condom thing would probably work, it doesn't take much to keep a body afloat. If you have a very low bodyfat % you might have trouble, but the rest of us should float with very little assistance.
James

Air trapped in a packed reserve?
Sorry, but that fuckin' funny!

Even if you want to consider that there is "no air" inside a packed reserve, it will still be bouyant, because the density of a packed reserve is less than that of water.

In WWII they made ships out of concrete. We all know that concrete doesn't float, but if you make a concrete hull that displaces enough water volume to outweigh the concrete, then the concrete hull will float. Same thing with a reserve pack.

As it slowly absorbs water, the equation changes...

Under no circumstances substitute condoms for approved flotation devices. I was just commenting that they should be able to provide the necc. bouyancy. Also as bodypilot 1 says get the gear off before useing any of it as flotation.
James

In WWII they made ships out of concrete. We all know that concrete doesn't float, but if you make a concrete hull that displaces enough water volume to outweigh the concrete, then the concrete hull will float. Same thing with a reserve pack.

Or maybe you could just land your WWII round in the water next to the concrete boat? :P

edited to inject more sarcasm. :D

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

A couple well sealed rubbers probably has as much bouyancy as the typical vest. Never tried to seal one up, myself.

Better to be a good enough swimmer in the first place. Use the rubbers to save the rig?

How do the approved vests differ from snorkeling vests? Is it just the CO2 cartridge, or an expensive certification label, or something more tangible?

Ok lets analyze this just a bit.
You are landing over water, far enough out that just a quick swim in is not an option. Even the most experience skydiver is going to have some pucker factor. You are wearing equipment that may or may not help you float (did you use your reserve?). Now your plan of action is to blow up a condom in water you cannot stand in. For our example let’s say there is some wave action going on. Now to blow this thing up you would at the very least have to float on your back (if your still wearing your reserve and it does float, it will want to force you into a face down position), but with waves going on and the fear factor you will probably try to inflate the condom treading water. So you will have to tread water without using your hands long enough to fill 2 condoms and tie them up. How much energy did you just use up trying to create a floatation device? Now I am a pretty good swimmer (former life guard), and swim every week as part of my fitness routine but I would not want to tread water with only my legs for that long. Of course all of this must be done after possibly a hard landing. Somehow I just don’t think this is a good plan. Leave the condom on the bed stand and wear approved life support.

It is one thing to be in the proximity of death, to know more or less what she is, and it is quite another thing to seek her.

— Ernest Hemingway

>Now your plan of action is to blow up a condom in water you cannot stand in.

The original post was a joke. Condoms are not useful flotation devices. I left it up because I thought it might spur a discussion of what _does_ work, and several people have had good suggestions.

But condoms work far better for preventing new skydivers than saving old ones.

Ok now that you have said that and I have re-read it. I get it B|. Some of us are just a little slow on the up beat.

It is one thing to be in the proximity of death, to know more or less what she is, and it is quite another thing to seek her.

— Ernest Hemingway