pirana

Whistle While You Fall?

So I'm watching Point Break a couple evenings ago; I think the 3rd time I've seen it. Never noticed before the low volume whistling projectile noise in the background during the skydiving scenes.

Seems a bit corny, but I'll give a listen next time up just to make sure it isn't there and I just didn't notice. I know, hardly worth a thought, but how about this:

Has anyone ever taped a whistle to their feet or helmet or whatever to see how it sounded in freefall? Sounds like a neat little experiment.

Maybe a harmonica? Or 3 or 4 different whistles of different tone. Taped to different places on your foot so that as you changed position of your foot you'd get different notes.

Don't give me that nothing-worse-than-a-bored-skydiver BS either. This is some serious science.:P
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I was thinking a trombone strapped to one side, sax on the other, French Horn tucked up in the crotch, a cymbal on the inside of each knee, clarinet under the chest strap, and a dozen or so morracas and other various small noisemakers taped all over the place.

What could possibly go wrong?

But seriously ;) I want to try the whistles.

I've also got this humongous (about 5' tall) plush carnival prize I want to take out of a plane. Of all things, it is a monkey. I told the kids what I wanted to do with it. They were cool with watching it bounce at the end of freefall, but do not like the idea of putting it on the bonfire at the end of the evening.

You gotta make sacrifices sometimes in the name of science.

" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I was thinking a trombone strapped to one side, sax on the other, French Horn tucked up in the crotch, a cymbal on the inside of each knee, clarinet under the chest strap, and a dozen or so morracas and other various small noisemakers taped all over the place..

So wait - that WAS a french horn in your crotch, and you in fact WEREN'T happy to see me??

This is some serious science.:P

Right up there with Intelligent Design. Oh, wait a minute it's actually AHEAD of ID because it's testable.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I was thinking a trombone strapped to one side, sax on the other, French Horn tucked up in the crotch, a cymbal on the inside of each knee, clarinet under the chest strap, and a dozen or so morracas and other various small noisemakers taped all over the place.

Almost sounds like a description of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JAFppD_cGY
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Has anyone ever taped a whistle to their feet or helmet or whatever to see how it sounded in freefall? Sounds like a neat little experiment.

You got me curious, so I did a "whistle jump" this weekend. The attached photo shows the whistle I used for the experiment. It's the one I carry in my gear bag for night jumps, in case I land off and get injured.

On the climb to altitude in the Otter, I held the whistle out the open door of the plane, and heard nothing. Tilting it in various directions to the relative wind didn't change that. So my hopes for a freefall whistle were not good. (I sure got a lot of funny looks from the rest of the passengers...)

In freefall I held the whistle downward into the wind, in front of my face, and heard nothing. Again, changing the angle in various directions didn't help. Gripping the whistle in different manners to change the airflow around my hand, didn't help. The experiment seemed a dud.

I was thinking that the high speed air flowing past the exit hole might be negating the effect of the high speed air in the inlet. Normally, a whistle has only high speed air blowing in, and still air around the exit.

By the way, how fast is the air blown by a human mouth into a whistle? Surely it can't be as fast as 120 mph freefall. So freefall should produce a sound that is louder than a regular blown whistle, and continuous.

I finally held the whistle right up against my ear, and by gosh, it was actually whistling!

So, it DOES whistle in freefall.

The problem is that the wind blast noise in your ears from your freefall speed is so loud, that it drowns out the whistle. The whistle just can't compete. It was whistling all along, but I just couldn't hear it when it was more than a few inches away from my ear.

That'll be $22, please.

But since I stole your thumbnail image, I suppose I'll let this one go for free. :)

Very cool. Now I am left with just my monkey to play with.