mik

Number of times you had to retake AFF jumps

From another post

'AFF is a breeze to pass it. I only know a few people who actually had to repeate a level or two.'

I would be interested to know whether this is typical.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

From another post

'AFF is a breeze to pass it. I only know a few people who actually had to repeate a level or two.'

Most people have to repeat a level or two. I would say at least half.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I know few people that have donw the same jump few times...

I'm glad that I was stable and would listen to everything that my instructors would tell me... and not just tell them..:" yeah, I got it"...
I always asked lots of questions and saw lots of videos, and read too... so I kept myself focused and didn't have a problem.:)

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

I passed levels 1-3 no problem. Did 15 minutes of tunnel time and breezed through 4 and 5. Had problems with tracking and had to repeat 6 2 times. Tunnel is great, but you can't practice tracking, and I had a problem with a turn in my track that I fixed by doing a toe touch to get both legs at the same level.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

From another post

I think it has to do with taking into account different drop zones having different standards for passing each aspect of all of the AFF levels along with the coach having a different standard. On top of that, different people respond in different ways to different tasks. That can get pretty complex.

I was having a problem not staying on heading while doing one of my unstable maneuvers. I was turning 90 degrees, and the AFFI wouldn't pass me. I tried twice, failed twice. When I came out the next weekend, I was still turning 90 degrees but this AFFI said that the point was to get unstable and stable again, 90 degrees wasn't a huge deal to pass AFF (the on heading was actually for the A license). And I'm sure that's just a single example.

I redid my level 6, as 'twas my first solo exit in which I proceeded to flip backwards and had a heck of a time getting stable. Eventually did and did the other necessary maneuvers, but my AFFI and I decided to redo that level.

Though sometimes it is worth repeating a level even if you don't actually NEED to, as at the dropzone where I did my AFF, if you bought the full A-license package they offer, the package includes up to 3 AFF repeats. That's basically three extra coach jumps, so not a whole lot of reason NOT to repeat a level or two or three.

i had to redo level 8 ... this jump my lock on altitude was lowered to 5000ft (previously was 6000ft) and my pull time was lowered to 4500ft (previously 5500ft) ...during the jump i apparently wasnt checking my altimeter enough and around 4000ft my instructor had to give me a pull signal ...i probably wouldnt have noticed til 3800ft or something so i had to relevel ...i thought it was appropriate to relevel, id rather be at the learning position i am supposed to be at and altitude awareness is really important obviously. I redid the jump and all went well and havent had to redo anything since...theres nothing wrong with my freefalls i mean i stabalize easily and do maneuvers correctly, it was just that i didnt follow the planned pull time and thats a major reason to relevel at my dropzone
I talked to other students there and theyve had to relevel too, i forget for wat reason but theyre all amounting to good skydivers so releveling really isnt a big deal it just to keep u at the pace u should be, it doesnt mean ur incapable watsoever

My experience:

1) Repeated some early S/L jumps.
2) Switched to AFF and wound up doing a hybrid AFF/Static Line program
3) Repeated more jumps, did extra jumps, etc.
4) Took 37 jumps to get my A license.

Yeah, it costs more but it's not a race. And of the 3 people in my FJC who went on to get A license (both of whom were faster/better students than me) I'm the only one still skydiving 5 years later. Just got my D license and coach rating. I'm still far from the world's greatest skydiver but I figured out a thing or two along the way, and I'm looking forward to working with students now, especially those who may be down on themselves because someone told them "you shouldn't ever have to repeat a jump." I figure I can relate to their experience pretty well.B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had to re-do level 2. There was so much sensory input that my brain just shut down. I can only recall flashes of the skydive. The re-take two weeks later was a completly different experience; like someone had flipped a switch in my head. I was suddenly 'aware' of myself and my surroundings. The rest of AFF was a breeze after that.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

I repeated none... ( my training was 2 tandems followed by 5 affs) But I also had over 2 hours of tunnel time and had been studying the SIM for months before my first tandem.

Pulled fine on the tandems and had to be reminded once on level 3... other than that the only things that weren't god were landings... B| I did a tandem landing on level 3 with almost no flare. Perfect downwind PLF on level 4. 5 and 6 were decent slides and finally stood up on my graduation dive.

i repeated levels 2 and 4, and would have happily repeated more if i had to.

IMO it's not a race to the finish line, nor is my progress something that i would compare with another's. my goal has been and will be to learn how to be safe up there, as well as have fun and learn new skills.

and now that i'm finished with AFF, and have new goals, i have the same mindset. however long it takes is however long it takes.
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

i repeated levels 2 and 4, and would have happily repeated more if i had to.

IMO it's not a race to the finish line, nore is my progress something that i would compare with another's. my goal has and is to learn how to be safe up there, as well as have fun and learn new skills.

and now that i'm finished with AFF, and have new goals, i have the same mindset. however long it takes is however long it takes.

Very well put!:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

never did AFF. Did some SL rounds and then some tunnel time and went off the ramp with an instructor who didn't take docks. Our radios weren't even on or in a position to be used to talk us down. Landings were kind of "self critiquing"... ;)

"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

None but it wouldn't have bothered me if I had to redo a level. I actually like being a student and having the structure of AFF. Maybe I'm weird because I'm in no rush. Although I'm done with AFF, I'm just enjoying my time as a student. As the saying goes....Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. (Greg Anderson)

Well I had to repeat AFF Cat B twice. First time I lost altitude awareness, second time I froze completely...I saw instructors giving me hand signals, etc...but I just froze. Finally 'came to' and pulled at 4500. Third time I passed...the irony was that my radio was checked in the plane, and it was fine. After I opened, i was waiting for it to kick in while I played around...about a mile or so from the landing area :ph34r: Ended up landing almost a mile away...but passed the jump. :P Found out later the radio battery was completely dead...

Had to repeat my Cat E dive once. Started spinning, couldn't stop it..the JM tried to come in to stop me, but I was spinning too fast..so she just backed off and i THINK she waved 'bye bye' to me. :D I pulled on time...with about 4 feet worth of line/riser twists. Fun times...