BMFin

Hypoxia video

It's been posted before here and from what I understand it's NOT an act, I fail to see what so fucking funny about pushing out a jumper who is not in their "right mind" and can't even stand up to exit.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It's been posted before here and from what I understand it's NOT an act, I fail to see what so fucking funny about pushing out a jumper who is not in their "right mind" and can't even stand up to exit.

I was trying to figure out - if it is an act the person on their back sure didn't seem to be paying attention to protecting their rig/reserve on exit.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Hypoxia will make you stupid. I remember the first time this was posted. I am pretty certain this was not an act and was real. Yeah that is how stupid you and anyone in that situation can get due to hypoxia. Those people were lucky to live through it.

If it was so obvious to us watching, why didn't the vidiot say anything? That guy should have been stopped and is just plain lucky.

Because we're not hypoxic. They were (vidiot included). Read the other thread (linked above and also bumped for easy access) for a discussion of the effects of hypoxia. Good stuff in there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not a joke. Here's the link to the previous discussion.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2670064;

That's a great thread!

I don't deal well with high altitudes myself... I feel myself breathing deeper and slower on normal jump runs at 12.5k; and yet I still didn't really consider "what happens on a high altitude run when the O2 system malfunctions".

Scariest of all is how it effects everyone on the load...

I'll be taking a trip to the chamber long before I consider any high altitude jumps.

Has anyone ever seen those little units that measure blood oxygen content at the hospital? I wonder how expensive it would be to have a similar unit for high altitude jumps? I'm sure someone more medically educated could provide some expertise in this area.

-Michael

> I wonder how expensive it would be to have a similar unit for high altitude jumps?

I've done that for regular altitude jumps:

===============
last jump of the day
Ground 98%
6K 95%
9K 90%
13.5K 80%
13.5K after moving around a lot 78% (start of fuzziness)

Morning load
Ground 97%
6K 96%
9K 90%
12.5K 86%
12.5K after moving around a lot 80% (no fuzziness)

Very next load
Ground 98%
6K 95%
9K 91%
12.5K 82%
12.5K after moving around a lot 81%
12.5K after deep breathing 89%
===============

We also did it in Thailand (26,000 feet) and on ~2lpm O2 people's O2 sats were in the 90's.

You can get a Pulse Oxygen monitor for under $150 on sale for some medical supply websites.

Even far less than that if you are willing to accept an older technology, i.e., LED display with shorter battery life, versus LCD display.

A quick note about pulse oximeters. POxes shows the percentage of hemoglobin that is saturated. It is not specific to what the hemoglobin has attached, and will therefore show "false" highs for people that has inhaled carbon monoxide or other gases that can bond to hemoglobin. Except from this the pOx will seldom or never show false highs due to insensitivity in measurement, but it is prone to showing false lows, mainly due to bad adaptation and bad peripheral perfusion. In the case of billvons test I would suspect that some of the data is false lows.

/Martin