NWFlyer

Blue Skies Magazine

Are you a subscriber yet? B|

It's going to be really cool to have another independent voice in skydiving publishing - this one looks to be a lot of fun!

http://blueskiesmag.com/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yep, we're shooting for a July issue, then monthly thereafter, with either a December/January combined issue or a June/July issue - so 11 total per year. Sorry to have left that off the site, I'll put up a note explaining that now.

Let us know if there's anything else missing, wrong or that you want to know about. And thanks for the shout-out, Krisanne!

Is Lara no longer working for USPA then?

Lara has resigned from the rose-colored world of USPA.
You might find some reasons here.

Starting a print publication is extremely difficult. (Been there - done that.)
Lara, if USPA rejects or declines your ad in Parachutist, call Truffer and me. We both have stories about how our ads were declined and the extraordinary things we had to do in order to get the ad published.

USPA has had 3 staff members, Rhonda, Lambert and Lara, leave in the past year and a half. Shortly before that, Michelle left.
All of these people are great workers with lots of energy and ideas. I think the 'Stifle yourself!' attitude at HQ became unbearable and they decided to move on.

Good Luck with the mag. I also have many stories to tell.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

As a long-time "Skydiving" subscriber, I was going to subscribe to Blue Skies, but then I saw the "World Standard" price, and uh-oh, no-oh.

I live in Canada, less than 50 miles from the US border, and I have to pay almost three times as much? What gives? Funny that there is no premium for Hawaii and Alaska...

To whoever is running this - please include a reasonable Canadian subscription price. Surely a $10 premium for a little extra postage is ok, but not a $35 premium...

I guess I'll be checking this thing out in the US whenever I'm down there (once a year or so).
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

Actually I've been really happy at USPA and am very sad to go. There's a lot of interest and support growing for the social media and transparency things I've been working on and lots of potential for new programs that I'd love to be a part of. The reason I am leaving is that we saw this opportunity, now, to do a new magazine and I know I will kick myself in ten years if I don't give it a shot with Kolla and Pierre. Yeah, Parachutist is a lot tamer than what we're planning to do, but it has to be. I personally voted in favor of a lot of the taming down decisions as a member of the magazine staff, because it's a family-friendly publication; it has to be and it should be.

I'd actually like to throw out a huge thank you to everyone at USPA - HQ and the board - for being more supportive than I had ever hoped for. They all seem genuinely excited for me and for this new adventure.

Anyway, I know this is kind of an odd situation for people to grasp, but I don't really have any agenda for or against USPA. It's been a great place to work and I'll miss it and everyone there a lot.

-Lara
Blue Skies Mag

I just sent in a subscription. SKYDIVING has left a huge hole. I hope Blue Skies can grow to fill it.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

... the extraordinary things we had to do in order to get the ad published

I don't know what you had to do, but in the case of Skydiving, Bill Ottley, then executive director, was opposed. I was then chair of the USPA Publications Committee (which no longer exists). If I recall approximately correctly, the committee heard a request from Mike Truffer and either directed that his ads be printed or had the BOD make the directive.

HW

Kevin - there will be, and we are actually looking for a name for that section! (known as "Maybe you've heard" in Skydiving).
If you guys have any good suggestions, by all means pass them on!

Joanne - I'm in the process of wrangling a PO Box from the post office in DeLand. Once we have the PO Box number, we will post the proper address on the website. In the meantime, I've sent you a PM with my address and all that good stuff.

On a personal note, I want to thank everyone for the amazing positive and constructive response we have had already - and we haven't even formally launched yet!
It's at the same time really humbling and really awesome to get this vote of confidence from people like Krisanne, Skymama and many other good folks.
And Jan - yes, publishing is hard friggin work! I had a vague idea before entering into this, but I already need more hours in the day, and I have this nagging feeling that I 'aint seen nuttin yet'.... :o

We will of course report on all things skydiving, but also plan to explore related fringe sports such as BASE jumping, ground launching/speed riding, paragliding etc. Should be fun - always good to learn something new :)

Lara, Pierre and I are completely committed to growing Blue Skies Magazine into a fun and informative magazine for skydivers from all around the world (rated "M" for mature content - and kids, you definitely have to be *this* tall to ride this ride....).

So, ladies and gentlemen, fasten those seat belts and grab a hold of the "oh shit" handle - the journey is about to begin!

~ Kolla
www.blueskiesmag.com

Blue Skies Magazine

I hope there will be a news section like "Skydiving" had.B|

I just hope that they don't print BS news like some skydiver getting a DWI or something that has no business being there.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I would love to subscribe to a new skydiving magazine :)
However as Deci pointed out the cost for an non US resident is quite high, considering there are no promises of a full 12 issues or a refund....

At the current exchange rate I would have to commit $67 CAD to a new mag which may or may not send me a issue...

Kolla you have addressed several peoples posts but have not addressed Deci's post...

Again...I would love to subscribe and help out a up and coming publication.

Blues
Den

Hi Den,

- sorry about that, refer back to my point of "not enough hours in the day" for an explanation to that omission ;)

That is definitely something we will be looking into - to see if we can swing better rates on printing & postage for people outside the US, as we mature. Thing is that the postman doesn't care if you live near the border or clear across Canada, our rates stay the same.

In the early stages we must do what we can to make sure that we are covering our costs and hopefully putting a little something in the bank continue to grow and expand the mag - and hopefully have enough left over for modest paychecks for the 3 of us.

We definitely envision a solid refund policy for the future, and it is our goal to be to that point by the time the 3rd issue rolls around - and sooner if things start exceeding our wildest dreams.
We are cautiously optimistic, but realize in these times nothing can be taken for granted - and thus we do not want to make promises we may not be able to come good on.
I can give you my word though, that we will do everything we can to fairly refund what remains of prepaid subscriptions, in the even that the magazine should for any reason close its doors (which is absolutely not on the agenda).

I can definitely understand your hesitation, so for now you can start with checking out our website. You still have a few weeks to mull things over and a lot of things can happen in a short time.
But, I would definitely encourage you to try to get your hands on the 1st issue (which we can sell as individual copies when the time comes) as that is pretty likely to make it big on eBay some day down the road B|

So - there you have it. We want to be open and honest with our subscribers and keep the lines of communication wide open, so please feel free to keep the questions coming. We will drop in here on a regular basis, but if you want to be sure to get a hold of us, our individual e-mails can be found on the Blue Skies Mag website (www.blueskiesmag.com) - and there you can also comment and ask questions :)

Thanks again - and lets keep fingers crossed that we can get this price down a little (and for the international subscribers that have already signed up, should we get a better rate, we will absolutely pass that on to you, likely in the form of extended subscription).

Blue Skies!
~Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

Thank you Ian and Den!!

International mag it is - you know it can't be any other way with a combo of an Icelander, South African with connections into Canada and an American/Hawaiian on board :)

And Ian... what list?? I know nothing of a list, no idea what you are talking about, not even a little bit :)

Blue Skies Magazine