skyfiend

Different countries different rules.... Help needed

Most wing-suit manufacturers recommend a minimum of 200 jumps if you do your first wing-suit dive under the supervision of a wing-suit instructor.
They also tell you to wait until 500 jumps if you want to teach yourself.
Teaching yourself is silly.

I had something like 4,000 before wing-suits were invented, but I still eaves-dropped on a few briefings - from wing suit instructors - before I jumped a wing-suit.

Your best option is to call Empuriabrava - or a similar Iberian DZ - and schedule a lesson with one of their wing-suit instructors.

in the SBF (swedish SIM) it says:
a wingsuit with fixed arms and legs you need 500 jumps.
if it does not have fixed arms/legs you need C-license and 300 jumps.

can someone explain the difference?

Prodigy and "that new student suit made by Tony Urugallo" allow you to grab toggles before dis-connecting wings.
Most other suits require you to open zippers or pull cables to release wings before you can grab toggles.

I did a few jumps on a Prodigy 1 last week and enjoyed it way more than the Birdman Classic or Crossbow wing-suits that I jumped before. The older suits felt claustrophobic and were too complicated to assemble/don.

Now I am contemplating buying a Prodigy 2 from Phoenix Fly.

I will not advocate in a public forum breaking the rules. Any rules. They were written in blood,

Not this one.

http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/Detailed/297.shtml
http://www.dropzone.com/fatalities/Detailed/410.shtml

Those two, at least, would have benefited from gaining more experience before donning a wingsuit.

How much more? Four times more? They had 110 jumps and 120 jumps. That's a long way from 500, and does nothing to demonstrate that 500 is neccesary.

Also, note the dates of the incidents. Its likely that the Swedish regs were written before either accident occured, again showing that they weren't written in blood, they were just written.

If you disagree with that, kindly invite me to your planet. It must be a nice place. But a long way from this Earth.

Ah yes, the snide ad hominem. Last resort of the internet safety nazi who actually has no valid argument to back up his excessive knee jerk conservatism.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

dorkzone is such an awesome place for things like that, you know, giving each other shit and calling each other names; that's really super cool! wants to make one skydive more and more and more, just because of the awesomeness of people involved!

:|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Ah yes, the snide ad hominem. Last resort of the internet safety nazi who actually has no valid argument to back up his excessive knee jerk conservatism.

PA deleted. What I think of you is unprintable. I also think you're dangerous.
Johan.
I am. I think.

dorkzone is such an awesome place for things like that, you know, giving each other shit and calling each other names; that's really super cool! wants to make one skydive more and more and more, just because of the awesomeness of people involved!

Ya know, if you don't like the drama, you don't have to log on. You could be sitting alone whining about an X.

What I think of you is unprintable. I also think you're dangerous.

See, nothing but excessive knee-jerk conservatism. You have absolutely no idea about my level of knowledge, experience, skill or the way I approach my jumps, yet you know that I'm dangerous. Why? Simply because I've done something other than demand that the absolute safest and most conservative approach possible be taken.

Take a step back from your ego and actually consider what you've just said, and from what evidence you've been moved to say it and you'll probably start to get quite embarrassed with yourself.

Ya know, if you don't like the drama, you don't have to log on. You could be sitting alone whining about an X.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Yet again another thread ruined by more inane bitching than actually answering or providing feedback to the original query posted. More often than not this is done by persons with post numbers far exceeding or even 10x multiples of their jump numbers.

RE my original post where “Jakee” questioned the wording of the BPA WS guidelines - this was an exact cut/paste from the BPA website. RE my example of the jumper beginning WS training at 350 jumps, now having 100+ WS jumps, receiving WS1 and WS2, yet still being just short of 500 jumps and actively jumping in the UK – it’s not theoretical; it’s me. When did I last jump wingsuit in the UK? 2 days ago and have done so at three differing UK DZs in the last months.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who can and do share a lot of their experience; however we continue to have to wade through much unintelligible banter to find it.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RE my original post where “Jakee” questioned the wording of the BPA WS guidelines - this was an exact cut/paste from the BPA website.

I did not question the wording of the guidelines, I told you they were obsolete. The old wingsuit guidelines have been superceded by the new Ops manual regulations. The new regulations are different fom the old guidelines, if you're unaware of what they are I suggest you look them up. Long story short, your exact cut and paste is irrelevant, since you've cut and pasted the wrong thing.

RE my example of the jumper beginning WS training at 350 jumps, now having 100+ WS jumps, receiving WS1 and WS2, yet still being just short of 500 jumps and actively jumping in the UK – it’s not theoretical; it’s me. When did I last jump wingsuit in the UK? 2 days ago and have done so at three differing UK DZs in the last months.

I didn't say theoretically, I said technically. There is a difference. If you didn't have 200 jumps in 18 months or 500 jumps total then your WS1 and 2 was technically invalid since you had not fulfilled the conditions layed down in the Ops manual. Practically speaking, since it's a very easy requirement to dodge, yes of course you can do it like that; in Spain, the UK or any other country - if you don't mind breaking the rules. You obviously don't, and I've got nothing against that, but it is annoying when people don't know what the rules are in the first place and then spread that disinformation on the web. Makes it much harder to wade through and such, y'know?

.. if you don't mind breaking the rules. You obviously don't,

What do you base that on?

I looked, and I honestly couldn't find anything he wrote in this thread to corroborate that.

and I've got nothing against that ..

No comment.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Yet again another thread ruined by more inane bitching than actually answering or providing feedback to the original query posted. More often than not this is done by persons with post numbers far exceeding or even 10x multiples of their jump numbers.
months.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who can and do share a lot of their experience; however we continue to have to wade through much unintelligible banter to find it.

I do agree with this, i have taken some of these points on board and am talking with the big man over here to find out if my training i have done for wing suiting is good enough other than that ill just have to go to empuria to fly (not that that sucks at all its warm down there)

On the note of these two school children bitching about nothing, you two need to stop this bull sh1t on pages were people are trying to get some help. mabey you could private message each other so i can get some good answers and make the right descision about what to do.

Thanks to all that have helped me out, to those who are bitching GO JUMP AND HAVE SOME FUN!

What do you base that on?

I looked, and I honestly couldn't find anything he wrote in this thread to corroborate that.

I base it on my knowledge of the BPA wingsuit regs. I probably know them a little better than you, just as you probably know more about Dutch rules than I do.

No comment.

Take the case in point. A person with over 400 jumps and 100 wingsuit jumps. My contention is that by the strict letter of the law he should not have been awarded his BPA WS stickers because he hasn't yet met any of the minimum jump number/currency requirements for those stickers and therefore shouldn't be jumping a wingsuit in the UK.

However, if I was in a position to do so would I stop him from doing it? No, I think it would be a ridiculous thing to do to a person who is probably quite safe and competent and is certainly experienced enough by any practical standards. Would you?