ChrisL

Skydiving marriage proposal

I have a couple whuffo friends that have decided they want to do a tandem.

He wants to propose to his girlfriend as part of their first jumps.

I agreed to try and help arrange things.

We were thinking of opening up a very large sign made of sheets on the landing field that his girlfriend could see from the air.

Arranging to have him be out first so that he can be on the ground, unhooked, and in the general vicinity of where she lands so that he can be on bended knee with ring in hand after she touches down.

I'm sure this has been done, just looking for some ideas, variations, and advice on how to best pull it off.

Cheers!
__

My mighty steed

How you described it is about the easiest way I've seen to do it.

Get video of it too.

Yep. plan to :)

Was also thinking of having him ham up in freefall fumbling with the (fake) ring and losing it :)

I'm wondering how big a sign like that should be to be easily visible?
__

My mighty steed

You won't see it in freefall, at 1000 feet under canopy 2-3 sheets is plenty to see as along and its spelled out clearly. I'd go with a simple "Marry Me?" instead of trying to get fancy and have to make smaller letters to get a message on the fabric.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I saw a group who bought about 80 sheets of florescent pink poster board and spelled it out. I was doing an AFF jump. When I looked down to check the spot @ 10000' or so, I saw the pink. When I was tracking @ 4 I could read the sign. By far the most visible I've ever seen.

I've also seen "Marry Me" with two big circles, one "Yes" and one "no" made with flour. Make sure the askee is with an accurate instructor, though.

I have a couple whuffo friends that have decided they want to do a tandem.

He wants to propose to his girlfriend as part of their first jumps.

I agreed to try and help arrange things.

We were thinking of opening up a very large sign made of sheets on the landing field that his girlfriend could see from the air.

Arranging to have him be out first so that he can be on the ground, unhooked, and in the general vicinity of where she lands so that he can be on bended knee with ring in hand after she touches down.

I'm sure this has been done, just looking for some ideas, variations, and advice on how to best pull it off.

Cheers!

Dude, be a real friend and talk him out of it!!!! ;):PB|
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

We haad a guy propose down in Flora recently. We had the Caravan from Start Skydiving that has straddle benches. They made sure they were the last pair out so they would be straight across from each other in the front of the plane. We had the rest of the load scoot down early so I could turn around in the center of the isle, then after they were hooked up the tandem masters turned them towards each other. He proposed, she said yes, they gave the ring to the pilot to hold, we jumped, I landed 2 miles away because of a very bad spot, someone else videoed the landing.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

If your TM's can pull it off, we had a few marriage proposals under canopy B|

Otherwise the sheet thing works, last one I filmed was made of a airplane tow (whaddayacallems), see attachments. Make sure you put it in the right direction and in a good spot for the videoflyer to film, and maybe warn other jumpers to stay a bit away from it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've also seen "Marry Me" with two big circles, one "Yes" and one "no" made with flour. Make sure the askee is with an accurate instructor, though.

Naw, just make the no circle impossibly small, and the rest of the field is the Yes area. B|

Naw, just make the no circle impossibly small, and the rest of the field is the Yes area. B|

Or vise versa! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I did one of those many years ago. We started walking the load to the Otter a bit early, but the guy "couldn't find his goggles," so we went back to get a new pair, which gave him a chance to quickly put a tuxedo on under his jumpsuit. The guy and women both made tandems, with the guy going first and opening lower, the women opened just a bit higher. That gave the guy time to get his jumpsuit off right after landing, and be on one knee with the ring when his girl frield landed. It was terrific. The women landed and was so lost in her own world that for about 30 seconds she couldn't make sense of the guy on his knee with an engagement. Then she said yes and started crying. It was very cool.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I've seen the bedsheet thing done before and it worked well. Though if there are any other couples on that load someone else may think its for them! HAHA
Heard of that happening to someone who saw a "Marry Me, Bec" written with a skywriter... it was for a different Bec in the area!

At our DZ, we waited until the tandem took off in the plane then we wrote it in the grass with flour. The Tandem master knew to keep her busy once under canopy until they got closer.

You know on the ride up they don't look out the window and down, during free fall they are "pre occupied" so it is all up to the tandem master to point it out at the proper time.