hymandd732

Future of skydiving

H2 is a bit inflammable. AFAIK all H2 blimps burned or exploded.

..................................................................................................

Pure marketing propaganda by the metal airplane industry.

The Hindenburg burned because of flammable dope on its fabric skin.

Besides, the biggest threat to hydrogen balloons was always cigarette smoking. Thankfully, smoking in public places has fallen out of fashion.

Helium or hydrogen-based balloons are probably the long-term solution to DZ airlift.

H2 is a bit inflammable. AFAIK all H2 blimps burned or exploded.

..................................................................................................

Pure marketing propaganda by the metal airplane industry.

The Hindenburg burned because of flammable dope on its fabric skin.

Besides, the biggest threat to hydrogen balloons was always cigarette smoking. Thankfully, smoking in public places has fallen out of fashion.

Well, a bunch of H2 filled Zeppelins were destroyed in WWI by British fighters firing incendiary bullets.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When I retire in about 3 to 5 years, I plan to buy a Twin Otter anad a Pac. It will be in Florida dedicated only to experienced jumpers. No tandems, no AFF and no training of any kind. I might have a wind tunnel but it would be just for experienced Skydivers. To jump there you will need an A license and you jumpers will have the option for hop & pops or high altitude.

We will have packers, riggers and food.

I'm not sure if anyone else has that business model but I already did the math and financially it should work. I won't be in it for the money but just need to break even.

If it doesn't, I will just lease the planes to the other DZ's
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

When I retire in about 3 to 5 years, I plan to buy a Twin Otter anad a Pac. It will be in Florida dedicated only to experienced jumpers. No tandems, no AFF and no training of any kind. I might have a wind tunnel but it would be just for experienced Skydivers. To jump there you will need an A license and you jumpers will have the option for hop & pops or high altitude.

I'm not sure if anyone else has that business model but I already did the math and financially it should work. I won't be in it for the money but just need to break even.

BWWAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! It took until December but that's the greatest post of the year on dizzy.com!!!!!!! BWAAAHHHH!!!!:PB|:ph34r::D:D

Hi captain,

We will have packers, riggers, food and boobies.

There, I fixed it for you.

Now where do I get in line for a ticket? ;)

JerryBaumchen

Hi captain,

We will have packers, riggers, food and boobies.

There, I fixed it for you.

Now where do I get in line for a ticket? ;)

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for fixing a very important point. I really didn't want to sound sexist as every time I bring something like that up here I get blasted by the other sex.:)
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I seriously think that business model might work, especially with a goal of only breaking even...I'd even understand & pay a bit more per ticket considering the obvious advantages & available amenities!

Your plan of offering food, booze & boobies with turbines on top, would IMO immediately qualify your place as a premier destination dropzone. . .Just imagine the ready market for an adult ski resort with no bunny hills!

Specialized & target specific programs are working well within the cruise-ship industry.

Heck, in no time at all, you'll be rollin' in greenbacks from the franchise rights alone!!

Take this as official notice that I'm reserving stock option rights for when you go to public offerings! ;)B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I seriously think that business model might work, especially with a goal of only breaking even...I'd even understand & pay a bit more per ticket considering the obvious advantages & available amenities!

Your plan of offering food, booze & boobies with turbines on top, would IMO immediately qualify your place as a premier destination dropzone. . .Just imagine the ready market for an adult ski resort with no bunny hills!

Specialized & target specific programs are working well within the cruise-ship industry.

Heck, in no time at all, you'll be rollin' in greenbacks from the franchise rights alone!!

Take this as official notice that I'm reserving stock option rights for when you go to public offerings! ;)B|

I know my business model will work but with other operators it probably would be too much of a gamble. Combining my 30 years airplane dealer experience in that I will rotate aircraft, the planes won’t have to be amortized like other operators must. This should also insure a very reasonable jump ticket but will probably piss off a lot of DZ operators.
I also have a couple big names in the community who already committed to join me in running the operation.
With about 3 years to go, who knows what will happen by then, but that’s the plan anyway.

Fast forward to the year 2035 ... Skydive Whistler reports even lower fuel consumption the second year of operation with the hybrid gas/electric Cessna 182.

"The first year we could only get Transport Canada's approval to run our electric motor on the way up" reported DZO Mike Smith. " Since the propeller governor will never accept more than 300 horsepower, the electric motor refused to come on line until we climbed above 5,000 feet, but then it helped us maintain a steady climb rate all the way to 12,500 feet, where Vancouver Center told us to quit interfering with airliners. We really would like to be able to climb high enough to show tourists BOTH remaining snow-capped peaks, but rules is rules."

"The first year, we had to add five minutes - of ground time - to every turn-around to allow the batteries to re-charge on the ground, but sometimes when we were really busy, we swapped battery packs. Battery changes go pretty quick with the under-belly battery panniers."
Smith added that one hour of battery power weights about the same as one hour of gasoline, so weight and balance stayed about the same.

"This spring we were able to get all the hybrid functions on line. Initially all we planed to do was use the regenerator .. er propeller as an air-brake ... function, but the big surprise was how steep we could dive with the hybrid turned on. We were getting four minute descents from 12,500 without any risk of over-speeding the airframe or propeller. 'Backing' the propeller has slowed the airplane so much that we have not deployed the wing-mounted air-brakes all year!"
"With the better rate of climb - above 5,000 feet - and the steep descent, we were saving five to seven minutes per load over a stock Cessna 182."
"The much slower air-speeds also helped reduce airflow through the engine compartment, so we were able keep cylinder head temperatures in the green, and have not suffered a cracked cylinder all year." beamed Smith! "In fact we had to route electric motor cooling air past the oil pre-heater to keep bearings warm enough."

"We spent so little time descending that the hybrid battery charger mode never regained a full charge, but we could fly seven or eight loads before having to re-fuel or recharge batteries ... and by that time the packers were so far behind, that they needed a chance to catch up." chuckled Smith.
"Gasoline consumption has dropped so dramatically that the FBO is threatening to charge us double, just to meet his overhead!" chuckled Smith.
"We only had two stoppages and a technician from the Squamish Honda dealer diagnosed and fixed the problem so quickly - over his ITie that the TI didn't even have time to finish his lunch before we were able to go again!" said Smith.
"Next year we are considering shutting off the Continental above 5,000 feet," mused Smith. "But please don't mention it to Transport Canada until we get the engine oil pre-heater software debugged."

Fast forward to the year 2035 ... Skydive Whistler reports even lower fuel consumption the second year of operation with the hybrid gas/electric Cessna 182.

Thanks for a look into the future riggerrob, but lets fast forward a little further to 2055:

Skydive Whistler took delivery of their new Cessna 1255 anti gravity vehicle this weekend. The 1255 can carry 25 skydivers to 15,000 ft in aprox 5 minutes, the last minute devoted to the depressurization cycle.

Though the 1255 can achieve the optimum skydiving altitude in less than a minute, passenger comfort is maintained by keeping the gravitational “G” forces minimized.

Though other commercial vehicles have internal gravity regulators which cancel these “G” forces, the Cessna 1255 was conceived to keep the price reasonable for the small commercial operator and to keep pricing under ten million dollars US.

For this aircraft Cessna chose twin Pratt & Whitney PT15 Superconductor plasma accelerators with altitude cancellation provided by the Podkletnov Magnetic Field Disrupters.

Pokletnov was a pioneer in anti gravity development and is the current manufacturer of the most popular device used to slow down skydivers from freefall speeds for a safe landing. When parachutes were used in the early days of skydiving, there was always a risk that could result in a fatal accident.

To help cover the cost of the new aircraft, jump rates will go up slightly from their current price of $150 to $175 per jump.

Skydive Whistlers current DeHavilland Super Dooper Twin Otter as well as their PAC1500 will be donated to the Toronto National Air & Space Museum so future generations can enjoy these relics of powered flight. :)

Financially and reality are 2 different things.
If you think you can run a dz with just fun jumpers and break even (unless you are running your plane at night running cargo. What ever "cargo" pays the bills) you obviously have never been on the paying end of plane maintenance and fuel costs.

Good luck with that and I'm sure you will change your mind after a few weeks about needing tandems and AFF's

dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

If you think you can run a dz with just fun jumpers and break even (unless you are running your plane at night running cargo. What ever "cargo" pays the bills) you obviously have never been on the paying end of plane maintenance and fuel costs.

Good luck with that and I'm sure you will change your mind after a few weeks about needing tandems and AFF's

dave

Being an airplane dealer for 30 years, I am well aware of the costs associated with operating aircraft and I already figured maintenance expenses.

However I do have the advantage as this occupation gave me the unique situation of operating 2 large Flight Academies while never having to depreciate or amortize the 35 airplanes and helicopters we had.

I would simply purchase them at wholesale with low time, use them to a certain hour range and then sell them at a profit.

There is a certain window of flight hrs where a typical airplane has the same value. If you can work within those perimeters you can make it work, and it did so very well.

dave

Z-Hills - 76 (when I got there) to 81 (when I left) ... might have had 30-40 students total ... that's about 6 a year.....

Your model will work just fine if you create the place people want to go to....

the old z-hills considered you OK (although they would keep an eye on you) if you could fall for 30 seconds by yourself... otherwise... bring your own instructor (that was OK too) ... they just had NO student facilities whatsoever .. and did just fine financially (believe me, I know.) and any late night southern flight profits (if there were any, I certainly could not testify there were) NEVER went back into that drop-zone (I can testify to that), it made money hand over fist, just on jumping... all this student crap is just low hanging fruit ... if you say you NEED that, you don't really care about skydiving, you just want to make a lot of money (nothing wrong there... let's just cut the bull and be honest)

when I hit Perris in 81 and saw the 'student show' I was flabbergasted ... I had no idea a big drop zone had much of anything to do with students at all ...

now, follow out last student in a DC_3 load on the
second pass of 4 passes of 8, freefall past the first pass of students, dump around 15... collapse the front of your main immediately and don't let it up till about 70ft off ground .. and you could cause quite a stir back then ... but I digress ...

I like your business plan ... go for it

Fast forward to the year 2036...;)

"Skydiving Ban Lifted! Well, Sort of."
2036 is shaping out to be a great year for skydivers. The government has determined that skydiving can once again exist....but only on the internet. This is a huge victory for jumpers who lost the ability to actually physically skydive in 2015 when the government decided it knows best and that the only regulation to keep people safe is to not allow it. After socializing healthcare, legalizing every illegal immigrant, and giving people tax money so they dont have to get jobs, the government decided healthcare was just too expensive to allow dangerous activities. This resulted in the "We Know Best Act of 2015" that outlined as well as outlawed risky behavior such as skydiving, driving cars, flying, or frying bacon while naked.
Shortly thereafter even discussing skydiving was made illegal after several injuries were reported resulting from an argument in an online forum. The injuries from this argument included severe dehydration, heart attacks, strokes, and hypertension. Several former skydivers had to be pried away from their computers with one victim shouting at police and medical personnel "NOOO! Someone is WRONG on the internet!"
While today's legislative victory is just a small one for most skydivers it is a huge victory for a small group of jumpers that call themselves dz.commers. When asked about the new resolution one DZ.commer replied "This is great news! I never really enjoyed skydiving anyway and was terrible at it! Now I can just get online and talk about it like I'm an expert!"

Authors Note: This is completely in jest and in fun and is in no way directed at anyone in this particular thread....unless you are reading this, then I am talking to YOU! :P

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Fast forward to the year 2036...;)

"Skydiving Ban Lifted! Well, Sort of."
2036 is shaping out to be a great year for skydivers. The government has determined that skydiving can once again exist....but only on the internet. This is a huge victory for jumpers who lost the ability to actually physically skydive in 2015 when the government decided it knows best and that the only regulation to keep people safe is to not allow it. After socializing healthcare, legalizing every illegal immigrant, and giving people tax money so they dont have to get jobs, the government decided healthcare was just too expensive to allow dangerous activities. This resulted in the "We Know Best Act of 2015" that outlined as well as outlawed risky behavior such as skydiving, driving cars, flying, or frying bacon while naked.
Shortly thereafter even discussing skydiving was made illegal after several injuries were reported resulting from an argument in an online forum. The injuries from this argument included severe dehydration, heart attacks, strokes, and hypertension. Several former skydivers had to be pried away from their computers with one victim shouting at police and medical personnel "NOOO! Someone is WRONG on the internet!"
While today's legislative victory is just a small one for most skydivers it is a huge victory for a small group of jumpers that call themselves dz.commers. When asked about the new resolution one DZ.commer replied "This is great news! I never really enjoyed skydiving anyway and was terrible at it! Now I can just get online and talk about it like I'm an expert!"

Authors Note: This is completely in jest and in fun and is in no way directed at anyone in this particular thread....unless you are reading this, then I am talking to YOU! :P

can you imagine!? with my postnumbers, people will seek coaching from me, i'll get to travel the world on boogie-organisers cost etc.! B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

...with my postnumbers, people will seek coaching from me,

God knows it seems to be your one and only fucking purpose in life. >:(

nope, i also like to annoy people to no end! are you as successful!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Good thing BASE, shark fucking, and landing wingsuits are still legal in the future, prolly in thanks to Red Bull. :P

Actually they're not legal in the future either, but everyone knows base jumpers also fuck sharks and are cowboys and don't care about the law. ;)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

IMHO and as I see it;

Then... We used to waite around for the Cessna to land. We got in about 3-4 jumps a day (buck a thousand). It took 45 minutes to altitude. We played alot of cards, hacky, and volleyball. We did a lot of 2, 3, and 4 ways.

Today... We get in about 5-6 jumps a day. We wait around for tandems while we play cards, hackey, or volleyball. It takes 15 minutes to altitude. We do a lot of 8, 12, and 16 ways. It's more expensive but what isn't.

Bottom line ------Stop bitchin and get in the airplane!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

In your case, posting and annoying people go hand in hand.:ph34r:

In your case, posting and annoying people go hand in hand.:ph34r:

i'm multi-talented AND a multi-tasker! B|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda