JohnRich

Banning swooping? (was: Fatality Canopy Piloting World Cup)

:D:D:D:D

Wait till Jeb barely lives through his wingsuit landing on the special ramp and everyone starts trying to imitate.

That'll take the heat off the swoopers and then they'll start bitching about people attemping landings in wingsuits taking them out.

:P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The reason we made the damn thing easy enough for ya to cake walk through is because we did the math, between the booze the drugs and the gutter sluts we were gang bangin' after hours out in the peas.
...we figured the Skydiving version of generation next would either be sporting too many fingers or too little brains to keep 'our' sport alive, you better thank GOD we took the time to it dumb it up, because I'm here to tell ya ~ ~ though clearly much has changed around here, it ain't the gloves!

Gawd I hope there's enough room in the sig line for that. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Some of us do recognize that we have less than 7 full years in the sport and aren't truly qualified to make authoritative commentary on trends in the sport over a decade ago.

Once you're past seven full years you're qualified to comment on anything you damn well please. :P

...and WTF...??..Cake walk through AFF???:o:S

WTF is right. People had better cake walk through AFF... They have people holding them stable.

You kids can't even go IN right!

There are almost too many sig lines in this post to choose from but this one caught my eye.

I take it as a compliment.;)

You do have a few good points scattered through and the rest is quite entertaining.

Thanks for the levity.
:D
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

If I could make this one fit on my sigline...

the hardcore dayz...back when men were men, the acid was pure and the bambulance never left in a big hurry, with those freakin' blinky lights on

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

jeezzz dammm I can't resist this one...

I'v read some stuff about 'low pull contests were fairy tales' ... it's just they were rarely planned .. i watched 1 over Perris ... 13 way on Fri 13th, we all understood we open at 13 ... tracking off I am going in to pull at 14 and notice Dylan and Mark Sechler tracking side by side and looking at each other ... and still going ... planned ? no ... they rarely were .. but they kept tracking ... i didn't notice who won... first hard pull EVER on my hip mount hand deploy ... it came on second try ... but I was not giving it anymore... was headed for reserve next

point is... the 'Intentional' low pullers knew where they were... knew the odds ... knew the best solution to a problem ... (if your real low... just pull the reserve..)

that is the exact argument being used by the 'SWOOP MAFIA' .. we KNOW what we are doing, we know the odds ... the thing is, no one makes money off you pulling low... people make money off of parachutes .. therefore, what you do with a parachute is out of bounds... no regulation allowed

sorry ... but if you take last 30 years of skydiving
(hell take last 40 and include Casa Grande where the dufi tried and died) and add up ALL the 'Intentional' low puller frappes ... and it will not equal a SINGLE year of people dying under supposedly perfectly operational 'parachutes' ....

not even close ...

screw banning swooping... ban square parachutes ... you'll immediately save a minimum of 15 people a year ... I bet Cypres can't claim that ...

oh, wait, that's right .... people make BIG bucks off those square pieces of crap... well, I guess we better just forget that then ...

...planned ? no ... they rarely were .. but they kept tracking ...

This was my experience in 99 and the beginning of the new millennium as well. I saw an experienced jumper at our dz in '99 pull low after a 4-way. He was really jazzed on landing and told me he and his team mate did this sometimes but this was unusually intense. Then his team mate walked over with huge eyes and said "Did you see that?! I had a hard pull and thought I wasn't going to get it!" My friend got pale after he realized he was having a low pull contest with someone experiencing a malfunction.

I have always tried to remember what I learned that day about perception and reality.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

And I guess you think you are cool and on the edge?

Alright Moses, i've had just about enough of your old fuddy duddy attitude. Why can't you be like Twardo? He makes me laugh and is old school cool. Albeit i suspect hes a jew. Not only can he land his canopy on a penny but he has his own variation on a swoop and chug. The swoop and coin pocket i think they call it.

We have 2 kinds of skydivers, those who when first jumping out a plane were pushing their personal limits so once they get their A they dont really progress so fast. Just falling is enough for them. Then the GoFast drinkers, the pot smokers and ones who listen to music far too loud; who cake walk AFF (me) and get into cool and edgy shit (me again) and progress in leaps and bounces.

I suspect that back when it was a "sport" that you were in the first group i described. Now you see us young rock stars coming up you think your voice is the most relevant? Humbug i say, humbug.

Listen to your elders? Fuck that, listen to anyone with common sense and that person can be a 200 jump wonder (like me again! ME ME ME) or a 200 year old round jumper.

Was it you that made that T-shirt i hate so much? "Most sports take one ball, mine takes both!" Reeks of cheese, like this thread.

Edit: SO YES I BLOODY WELL DO THINK THAT. AND THE WHUFFOS ARE IMPRESSED WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Infact im doing way more for this sport than anyone, USPA medal for me i say for public relations.

...and it's just such whippersnapper attitudes that exemplify the pussification of the sport we 'old timers' loved, and miss so much!

Gone are the days that yes, ya could surely die dramatically doing something gloriously dumb in the sky, but gettin' 'hurt' meant a nasty cut from one of those sharp beer can tabs that were always laying all over the place.

Can't believe how these days beer runs are replaced by roadtrips for band-aids and blow-up casts.

You kids can't even go IN right!

We did have like you said 'two kinds of skydivers' back then ~ living and dead.

Oh yeah junior that's right, the hardcore dayz...back when men were men, the acid was pure and the bambulance never left in a big hurry, with those freakin' blinky lights on.

These days can't swing a dead cat without hitting 2 or 3 guys limping around the packin' area while spitting out 'poor me' tales that always include something about 720's and corner digging...boofuckingwho!

Back in the day...'dive loops' were the side strings on the bottom half of some blond bimbo's bikini.
~Took me damn near 20 minutes to figure out what the fuck some punk rocker on crutches with a red 'Go Fast' got milk mustache was talkin' about! :S well no shit pinhead...what say next time stay ya off the front risers there Hop-a-Long! :ph34r:

Just land the gawdang thing in a way so's ya can do it again, hopefully stay out the hospital and Hell, who knows... maybe pay some taxes! >:(

...and WTF...??..Cake walk through AFF???:o:S

Why if you board short wearin', spike hair gellin', pink gear jumpin' spoiled lil' brats ever got more than elbow deep into the asshole of the beast, you'd be Sumo slammed into the realization that the path was blazed and black-topped for your comfort & ease by a generation of jumpers firmly believing there's no such thing as 'automatic openers' or TOO MUCH VELCRO.

The reason we made the damn thing easy enough for ya to cake walk through is because we did the math, between the booze the drugs and the gutter sluts we were gang bangin' after hours out in the peas.
...we figured the Skydiving version of generation next would either be sporting too many fingers or too little brains to keep 'our' sport alive, you better thank GOD we took the time to it dumb it up, because I'm here to tell ya ~ ~ though clearly much has changed around here, it ain't the gloves!

So go ahead Skippy, shun the wisdom and choose not to follow the path of righteousness and safe travel...instead blindly continue to toggle whip your ever decreasing numbers, natural selection will as always prevail.

With age comes experience, knowledge and understanding, we can see now where we went wrong...we watch feigning interest, - and with few real expectations, we wait.

We know eventually all the ponds will be drained, the snot-rag sized canopies will go the way of the T-bow and the sport's evolution will take still a different direction.

Next time we won't make it so easy for the N00bs, that way maybe they'll live a little longer...or at least lose the limp! :P

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Wow, this has to be the single greatest post in the history of dropzone.com. I am speachless. You are a GOD among men(and children)

Done with true Airtwardo style. You have done your self proud again Jim. I hope you still make him laugh. :P

Sparky

not to offend anyone, knowing andy, i think he's the least to get his knickers in a knot; i dont know if you do, but i'm sure 'twardo understood the meaning of that post - well played, jim! :D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Next time we won't make it so easy for the N00bs, that way maybe they'll live a little longer...or at least lose the limp!

Jim Jim Jim, the next generation are fucked as i get to handle them. :ph34r:

I plan on making peoples first jumps EXACTLY like point break with AFF speed stars and 1000ft pulls.

FLY LIKE AN EAGLE JOHNNY

Im way too hung over from being a rockstar, im gonna fetch me an enegy drink.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Jim Jim Jim, the next generation are fucked as i get to handle them.

I plan on making peoples first jumps EXACTLY like point break with AFF speed stars and 1000ft pulls.

Given the Vegas odds on your longevity, I wouldn't bet the ranch on you handlin' anything but gooey tadpoles when it cums to the 'next' generation! :ph34r::PB|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'v read some stuff about 'low pull contests were fairy tales' ... it's just they were rarely planned .. i watched 1 over Perris ... 13 way on Fri 13th, we all understood we open at 13 ... tracking off I am going in to pull at 14 and notice Dylan and Mark Sechler tracking side by side and looking at each other ... and still going ... planned ? no ... they rarely were .. but they kept tracking ... i didn't notice who won... first hard pull EVER on my hip mount hand deploy ... it came on second try ... but I was not giving it anymore... was headed for reserve next

point is... the 'Intentional' low pullers knew where they were... knew the odds ... knew the best solution to a problem ... (if your real low... just pull the reserve..)

:)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I second Krisanne. Snarf.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Given the Vegas odds on your longevity, I wouldn't bet the ranch on you handlin' anything but gooey tadpoles when it cums to the 'next' generation! :ph34r::PB|

But thats what makes it all the more exciting really isn't it? :)

One of these days Skippy Doodle, remind me to clean off your rose colored glasses and wipe the snot from yer nose.

Then ~ if I can fit your favorite rubber nursing nipple to a green bottle of premium brew & maybe get ya to toss the Red Bull for awhile...I'll sit on my knee so to speak, and do some old-school mentoring, good ole real world imparting of the necessary survival knowledge about some basic skills you obviously lack and sorely need.

A friendly edumacation with a focus on the proper definition & usage of the word 'exciting' and the practical application in regard to this little past-time you somehow blindly stumbled into.

I see the problem as...ya got a few wires crossed and somehow confuse 'exciting' with excruciating...'splains why when you talk about swooping you sit there all googoo eyed, mouth hangin' open...slapping your hands together like a dime-store wind-up monkey bangin' brass symbols.

I bettin' we can have ya back into being a belly-flying, French boot & Bell helmet wearin' cool kid. . . .that's shit hammerin' the dead-center disk with easy and regularity ~ in next no time at all.

Somebody should have taken the time to teach ya 'shortbus style' & clear it up long ago, but no worries shortstick...unlike low-hooking, '~it's better late than never' !! :D

And hey, knowin' the problems ya face attention span wise...go ahead I won't laugh, take some notes.

Don't even have to thank me, heck I like ya kid, for YOU just this one time...all @ no cost!

It's the least I can do~
...considering my lifelong world travelin' lifestyle & the ole, 'free-lancing pharmaceuticals' induced memory blackouts I'll probably never patch together...it's truly not a stretch to wonder if we maybe share some DNA from times 'back in the day', when I and lotsa other 'hard-core' jumpers sometimes defined 'exciting' in a way paternity suits has ruined forever!

:P:ph34r:B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Earlier you said about JR

particularly if one does not apparently grasp the current fundamentals and goals of that area.

I would say there is a big difference between NOT GRASPING THE CURRENT FUNDAMENTALS AND GOALS, and NOT AGREEING WITH THE CURRENT FUNDAMENTALS AND GOALS of that area.....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

One of these days Skippy Doodle, remind me to clean off your rose colored glasses and wipe the snot from yer nose.

Then ~ if I can fit your favorite rubber nursing nipple to a green bottle of premium brew & maybe get ya to toss the Red Bull for awhile...I'll sit on my knee so to speak, and do some old-school mentoring, good ole real world imparting of the necessary survival knowledge about some basic skills you obviously lack and sorely need.

A friendly edumacation with a focus on the proper definition & usage of the word 'exciting' and the practical application in regard to this little past-time you somehow blindly stumbled into.

I see the problem as...ya got a few wires crossed and somehow confuse 'exciting' with excruciating...'splains why when you talk about swooping you sit there all googoo eyed, mouth hangin' open...slapping your hands together like a dime-store wind-up monkey bangin' brass symbols.

I bettin' we can have ya back into being a belly-flying, French boot & Bell helmet wearin' cool kid. . . .that's shit hammerin' the dead-center disk with easy and regularity ~ in next no time at all.

Somebody should have taken the time to teach ya 'shortbus style' & clear it up long ago, but no worries shortstick...unlike low-hooking, '~it's better late than never' !! :D

And hey, knowin' the problems ya face attention span wise...go ahead I won't laugh, take some notes.

Don't even have to thank me, heck I like ya kid, for YOU just this one time...all @ no cost!

It's the least I can do~
...considering my lifelong world travelin' lifestyle & the ole, 'free-lancing pharmaceuticals' induced memory blackouts I'll probably never patch together...it's truly not a stretch to wonder if we maybe share some DNA from times 'back in the day', when I and lotsa other 'hard-core' jumpers sometimes defined 'exciting' in a way paternity suits has ruined forever!

:P:ph34r:B|

Im glad this thread was bumped or i'd have missed it!

Firstly

'splains why when you talk about swooping you sit there all googoo eyed, mouth hangin' open...slapping your hands together like a dime-store wind-up monkey bangin' brass symbols.

Fucking brilliant :D:D

Secondly

.that's shit hammerin' the dead-center disk with easy and regularity ~ in next no time at all.

No need, im accurate. People look at me strange being less than 400 years old and dropping a canopy down in deep brakes on the verge of fully collapsing. S turns to bleed altitude are gay.

Thirdly

I like a bit of RW, i don't favour one discipline over any other. But fuck bell bottoms

Fourthly

Im gonna be around a while i think, if im not i want you leading my ashdive in your 1696 skydiving attire.

You miss the good old days dont ya? :P

:)

I reattached the cartoon from your next post ... since it was relevant to this

we used to laugh that Mark Sechler liked to do 1 jump a month .... because inevitably would get a 30 day grounding within a day or 2 of being cleared from his last ....

had Mark smoked it on down on his last jump, he'd probably be alive ....
because he would have been on the ground instead of at the same spot, 400ft up, as the guy he entangled with ....

LOW PULLS SAVE LIVES !!!!