mgregory

Swooping or BASE?

I see what you are saying with the open canopy i just dont agree. In base an opening malfunction is pretty much going to be a rigging error. That's why we have better technology and a better understanding of how it works than most skydivers.

I never said that it was a regular occurence, but the fact is that malfunctions do happen regardless of who you are, or what you know.

If you aksed me which was safer after deployment, I would say BASE for sure. The equipment selection is well suited to the purpose, and the intent is just to get down safe, but that's not the question at hand, and a deployment is a part of, and adds risk to, every BASE jump.

I bet they were just hating on eachother because A) they were to scared to try it themselves or B) they just weren't interested.

It was probably just friendly ribbing between two friends who have spent a lot of time of time together on the DZ, way before you showed up. To get proficient at either sport demands a lot of time, effort and money. Very few people have the resources to do both to a high level.

BASE jumping is both more dangerous and more expensive. The gear gets hammered quickly and you can spend a lot on petrol for just one jump. Also, the last funeral I went to (BASE wingsuit) before I quit BASE cost me a lot - I wish it was only money.

Now I'm learning to swoop - with some education, the right tools and a bit of planning you can manage the risks.

I bet they were just hating on eachother because A) they were to scared to try it themselves or B) they just weren't interested.

It was probably just friendly ribbing between two friends who have spent a lot of time of time together on the DZ, way before you showed up. To get proficient at either sport demands a lot of time, effort and money. Very few people have the resources to do both to a high level.

BASE jumping is both more dangerous and more expensive. The gear gets hammered quickly and you can spend a lot on petrol for just one jump. Also, the last funeral I went to (BASE wingsuit) before I quit BASE cost me a lot - I wish it was only money.

Now I'm learning to swoop - with some education, the right tools and a bit of planning you can manage the risks.

I think you're right them messing with eachother. I believe BASE more dangerous also. I just wanted to get a discussion going. It's interesting. Plus I'm interested in eventually trying both out.
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

IMHO you can become a good BASE jumper sooner than someone can become a good swooper.

Swooping takes a lot of time, a lot of dedicated jumps and some luck not eating it in the corner as you are learning before you become an accomplished swooper. But once you get to a certain stage in your swooping career it is kind of like mathematics. If you do this and do that then the result will be known. For the accomplished swooper some of the bigger dangers are dealing with other canopy traffic and dealing with possible gear malfunctions.

At least in my experience BASE is far less predictable. The problem with both disciplines is that as you get better as you get more experienced you start doing more difficult jumps.

The dangers of BASE can be managed and reduced by doing safer things like going belly to earth hand held off of your favorite 400 cliff. But add some aerials on a stowed jump off of the same cliff and the unknowns of BASE are compounded.

I view a BASE canopy opening like mathematics, but I don't view a BASE jump like math.

PS: Sorry to use the math analogy on you, but you know what they say "Mathematics is Reality".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

+1 Good post.

I agree BASE is more dangerous than swooping. Both are dangerous, but both can be managed with good preparation and training.

Of course whatever activity the person takes part of (if its just one of the two) usually seems to be the "safer" of the two. I dont have many skydives, so when I see people laying down monster swoops, I'm always thinking "stab!" "stab!", whereas a swooper watching a base jump is probably going "Pull!" "Pull!"

If Davelepka put a gun to my head and made me do a 450 on his velo from whatever altitude he does them, something bad would probably happen.

If I put a gun to daves head and made him freefall a sub300 ft urban building, something bad would probably happen.

Chances are something bad will happen someday no matter what , I just need to make it till 2012. Then it will all be over anyway.
BASE 1384

Can't argue with Nick! As far as my swooping and BASE goals go... I think they are reasonable. I'm not looking to make either one my ''thing''. I'd like to be able to do some basic swooping. As far as BASE goes... I just want to jump around where I live (Michigan) with my friends... Some free standers, bellu to earth, pilot chute in hand.

The biggest similarity is that there are plenty of people doing both that have no business trying it. Swooping once you realize youre fucked, you usually have a chance to correct it enough to live, and maybe be completely uninjured. Base jumping once you realize youre fucked, you might just be fucked.

Can't argue with Nick! As far as my swooping and BASE goals go... I think they are reasonable. I'm not looking to make either one my ''thing''. I'd like to be able to do some basic swooping. As far as BASE goes... I just want to jump around where I live (Michigan) with my friends... Some free standers, bellu to earth, pilot chute in hand.

And that where the problem is as I see it. Neither activity is something that should be done on a causal part time basis. Both take very specific skills that need to be learned slowly and kept honed. Skydiving on the other hand you can get a little sloppy and usually get away with it. If it wasn’t so the fatality rate would be close to triple digits every year.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And that where the problem is as I see it. Neither activity is something that should be done on a causal part time basis. Both take very specific skills that need to be learned slowly and kept honed. Skydiving on the other hand you can get a little sloppy and usually get away with it. If it wasnt so the fatality rate would be close to triple digits every year.
Sparky

It's not that I want to do it on a casual/ part time basis. I just want to keep the swooping to a basic swoop and want to keep the BASE jumping simple jumps with out flips and stuff. I'd like to do both on a regular basis.

Do you think swooping or BASE jumping is more dangerous?

Being an idiot is most dangerous!;)

I figured someone beat me to this comment.

Some idiot with an ego will make either sport dangerous (you know who they are).

Whereas someone with good training and a plan can do either pretty safely

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants