falxori

What is this?

take a look at the attached picture.
now please tell me (if you can), what are the lines marked with the red arrow doing there, instead of going straight through the slider?

the only thing i can think of is a line over, but afaik, that wasn't the case.
any ideas?
thanks
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Are you sure all of you lines go through the slider?

could some lines NOT go through the slider?
i dont remember seeing a canopy with lines that don't go through the slider...

O

I've gotta go with Hook on this one. That line is definitely snagged / knotted on something. It looks like it's hung on the stabilizer. Sometimes it clears, other times it's a cutaway.

Your canopy's color pattern looks like PD's stock pattern 0, and all the sport (non-tandem) PD canopies I know of have all their lines run through the slider.

In fact, looking at the pic again, I can kind of see where the line angles back and hits the slider again after the snag.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

That looks similar to my first tandem chop, although for me it was the control lines and a couple of D-lines...aka, a whicked tension knot.

Those are fun, huh?

So did the jumper (or you if it was you) pop the lines and get it to clear or was it totally done?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That looks a lot like my sabre2 when it needs a reline. Canopy fabric sometimes gets caught in the slider grommets (due to some lines being shorter than others). The lines that are close to orginal length have a lot of slack in them and bow out below the slider and flap around above the slider. The lines that bow out do not look like they go through the slider like those in the picture.

Next time yoy pack and suspend the canopy over your shoulder check where the slider stops when you slide it into place, If you have fabric coming out of the grommet, get your rigger to check the line length.

Blue skies,

Jim

could some lines NOT go through the slider?

Sure. They are supposed to go through the slider, but I have seen lines accidently not routed throught a slider grommet.

Derek

Reminds me of a cutaway I had.....:P spin!>

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

looks to me like a video capture from interlaced video.

The line was there at some point in time,. Video captures sometimes show some wierd things.

Yup, agreed! To the OP: Go get the original DV material and use VirtualDub to discard one field of the video frame (or use Gunnars Smooth Deinterlace filter).

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

To the OP: Go get the original DV material ...

its not my video and all i have is that pic, but i've seen several other still captures with a similar effect, so i tend to agree that its normal (either a temporary line thing or a simple video mirage)

thanks for your input
O

Looking more carefully at the picture, you can see the line go above the slider and then bend back toward the slider grommet. The line definitely goes through the grommet.

Also note how the right tail of the canopy is almost pinched at the grommet.

Something has hung the slider and some of the lines at or near the grommet, but the other three corners appear to be ok.

It is a tension knot or the slider stuck either on a line or the corner of the canopy.

Just to make sure, examine the lines and make sure there are no wear points, pull points on the line (bumps where line material has pulled up), burrs on the grommet. If the lines are ok, check the line length to see if shrinkage has occurred.

If you don't find anything, it must have been a tension knot.

Blue skies,

Jim

Just looks like one line snagged a poker chip while opening.

that's what i was thinking....:o
..If you mean the pieces sewn inside the canopy to serve as a stop for the slider grommets when pulling UP against the canopy during packing...
Could a line have double wrapped one of those 'chips' ? [:/] maybe...
It might have held on just long enough for this visual....and then cleared....??:|
I second the suggestion by GravityGirl.. that's what it lookes like to me... Can anyone verify where those stops.. might be.... in the design of this canopy????:|

A friend had a similar thing happen to him on a Katana 107 (and has pics which I will ask him to post here).

As I recall, the picture was somewhat similar to the one that started this thread. Basically one line from more or less the middle of the parachute went first to the stabilizer, then through the slider to the riser.

The only way he was able to re-create it on the ground was to have a line wrap around one of the "poker chips".

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

your packer is NOT your mom bro. your responsible for maintaining your gear not a packer! its alot easier to miss than you are thinking. careful about saying something judgmental with very little expierience or time in the sport. trust me better skydivers than you and me have made bigger mistakes. it happens. stick around you'll see.
>

whether the packer caught it or not isnt relevant. who's responcible for their gear? not some guy getting paid 5 bucks. you think 5 bucks buys you the same care and concern for your life as you should have? maybe in some utopian society, but this is the real world. so having 20 jumps and blaming that on packers is not the attitude to have. thats my point. ive seen mains hooked up backwards by riggers, an altimeter closed in the container, risers hooked up incorrectly . all by skydivers that are heads up but slipped for just one second. thats all it takes. the same pattern that causes you to lock your keys in the car, it happens. dont pin. come on bro, its your gear, and YOU should know that.
>