JohnnyMarko

Where would you go?

So I'm torn between two DZ's to continue with my coach jumps and solo jumps before doing my A license check dive...

My original DZ (dropzone 'x') where I've made my first 11 jumps this winter is a small little mom and pop DZ and I love the people there. They have a 182 and a 206 and I really like the student rig they have me using.

The other, dropzone 'z', is a bigger operation with a 182, a 206, and a King Air. The people are awesome there too but since I've only made 3 jumps there I haven't really gotten to know them. Their student rig is a lil different than the other DZ and I'm not use to it yet. The big upside to this DZ is the price.

The thing that really gets me is the money. I love my "home" dropzone but it costs me twice as much as dropzone 'z'. And since Im a broke college student, paying for skydiving is hard enough as it is.

So the question is, do I stick with my original family and shell out the little extra money? Or go to the other place, save some green, jump from a King Air, and just deal with the people and gear for now?

My opinion is, as long as you like it and it is safe, go to the cheaper DZ...which in this case is the larger one. You have to think long term...

Either go the more expensive DZ that you like more and in the long run jump less due to limited $$$ or go the cheaper DZ that is still good to go with cool people and jump more cause you have more $$$ to spend on tickets, gear, beer, etc...

How much more expensive is it? Only you can make that choice. Keep your interest in mind, not the DZO's or your buddies'.

Well I know where I would be going for my jumps. 39 or 76. 39 and i bet if you know how to pack you'll get 5 or 6 off that.

Oh and if your a poor college school kid and want to stay in the sport you need to 1. learn to pack 2. cut grass, take out trash and any other jobs you can do to earn jump money around the dz. 3. start a college club at your school if there is not one already and take a lot of people to your dz, most will give xx amount a head or a free jump for each tandem or FJC student you bring in.

You can make a damn good amount of cash by being good at packing, tandems pay 10 to 12 per rig and student/sports rigs pay 5 to 6 plus tips if your good and people like your work, I've known a number of college kids who got their A license with nothing out of pocket and even took money home after a good weekend.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Here is a novel approach:

Tell the operators of the "comfy" DZ your story. It is entirely possible they they may have wiggle room in those prices. I would take a friendly approach rather than confrontational (remember that you are builing a long term relationship). I would probably say something like:

"I really like jumping here. Y'all treat me well And I am fond of the student rig. However, y'all are simply too expensive compared to xyz dropzone. is there a way we could work something out?"

key to this approach working is to ensure that you are having this discussion with the person who can make this decision.

No matter how this works out… welcome to the sky!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My 20 second delay jumps for working on my turns this past weekend at the bigger DZ were $39 compared to $76

$76 for a 20 second delay? Just to be clear, this is a solo freefall from a Cessna with a jumpmaster watching you from the plane, right?

If that's the case, that is very steep, and on high end of what you'll pay at any DZ. Just as a mattter of economics, you should jump at the less expensive place.

I know the issue of 'home dz' has come up, but you can't be expected to subsidize their high prices so they can stay in business. If the difference were closer, within $20, I'd say stick with your home DZ, but those prices are way off, and nobody should be surprised that you're not willing to pay one of the highest prices I've ever heard for a 20 second delay, especially when there's a more reasonbly priced DZ across town.

Go and get your license at the cheaper place, and then you can return to the other DZ to spend some money on fun jumps. What do they charge for a fun jump anyway?

Tell the operators of the "comfy" DZ your story. It is entirely possible they they may have wiggle room in those prices. I would take a friendly approach rather than confrontational (remember that you are building a long term relationship). I would probably say something like:

"I really like jumping here. Y'all treat me well And I am fond of the student rig. However, y'all are simply too expensive compared to xyz dropzone. is there a way we could work something out?"

key to this approach working is to ensure that you are having this discussion with the person who can make this decision.

:S

Yeeeaaah... or no matter how the OP approaches that, they could get a harsh lesson in Drop Zone Politics.

Anyway, my .02 to the OP. Which ever DZ you choose, get your A-License and get your own rig. Do the math on continuing to rent a rig post A-License and see how quickly you'll have paid for a rig renting, you just don't own it... you're in college, simple arithmetic should be easy.

Once you have an A-License and a rig, you're free to jump where you want, but consider what Bytch said too.

Good luck. Welcome aboard.

There's a simple solution... Jump at both DZ's! Spend a little more $$$. Make twice as many friends and end up with two Home Drop Zones, not to mention, twice as many people to jump with at Boogies. B|

Sorry, but this one is a "NO BRAINER". :P

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Would you like that small family dz - what you call your "home" dz - to still be there next year?

If the small family DZ wants to stay in business, I would suggest they start charging a price that is closer to the competition. It's no different than any other business. Charge to much and people will go somewhere else for their goods and services.

My 20 second delay jumps for working on my turns this past weekend at the bigger DZ were $39 compared to $76

$76 for a 20 second delay? Just to be clear, this is a solo freefall from a Cessna with a jumpmaster watching you from the plane, right?

If that's the case, that is very steep, and on high end of what you'll pay at any DZ. Just as a mattter of economics, you should jump at the less expensive place.

I know the issue of 'home dz' has come up, but you can't be expected to subsidize their high prices so they can stay in business. If the difference were closer, within $20, I'd say stick with your home DZ, but those prices are way off, and nobody should be surprised that you're not willing to pay one of the highest prices I've ever heard for a 20 second delay, especially when there's a more reasonbly priced DZ across town.

Go and get your license at the cheaper place, and then you can return to the other DZ to spend some money on fun jumps. What do they charge for a fun jump anyway?

Who watches a 20 second delay from a plane?! That's just not possible to give decent accurate feedback.

I would worry if that were the case and spend the extra money so you have someone teaching you and in the air with you.

My guess is the $39.00 is about $20.00 for rig rental, $5 to the S/L I and $14 for the lift? That sounds ridiculously cheap. I just need to know what you are getting for that $39.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Well it's supposed to be $49 but I bought a 3 jump package at $39 each. And my instructor did not watch me from the plane, he jumped with me. I'm sure your all going to laugh at me but I get an overall better vibe from the more expensive place and will continue to go there for my coach jumps...

Well it's supposed to be $49 but I bought a 3 jump package at $39 each. And my instructor did not watch me from the plane, he jumped with me. I'm sure your all going to laugh at me but I get an overall better vibe from the more expensive place and will continue to go there for my coach jumps...

Nothing to laugh at.

Go where you are most comfortable.

Period.

Keep in mind the potential consequences for inadequate instruction in this sport (Note: I am not implying that the cheaper place is not offering adequate instruction)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Who watches a 20 second delay from a plane?! That's just not possible to give decent accurate feedback.

Off topic, I know... but the USPA only suggests that the instructor leave the plane with the student to observe. It's not required. I laughed when I read that part of the IRM for my IAD course.

Dave

>Who watches a 20 second delay from a plane?! That's just not possible
>to give decent accurate feedback.

You can see the first 10 seconds or so and give pretty good feedback for that time. Usually it's not an issue; you drop the first two students from lower then go to altitude with the higher students. Rarely you'll have two more advanced students on the same load, in which case you drop the lower one first (so you can see more of what he/she does.)

My 20 second delay jumps for working on my turns this past weekend at the bigger DZ were $39 compared to $76...so yea its a huge difference in price.

i say finish your training at the cheaper dz, then jump at both when you get certified. if someone takes it personal calmly explain the money situation, everyone understands that.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."