Amazon

Realization of your own mortality.

For all of those skydivers who have not accepted the very inconvienient fact that you are indeed mortal yet, trust me eventually you will.

I remember a time when I too was invincible.

It was not a sustainable state of affairs.

I think after losing a few friends the reality started to sink in that maybe everyone was not so invicible but that was them but I certainly was.

EVENTUALLY... I realized my mortality!!!!!

This is not about those of us with higher jump numbers baggin on those just starting out who obviously have "mAd SkIlLz" its about trying to keep you as young jumpers out of the "Incidents Forum"

Some people are more blunt on here that you are willing to accept.. but when you screw up in this and many other "eXtReMe SpOrTzzz" you can get DEAD. Hopefully when you do that, you are not going to take someone else with you.

I really do hate opening up the Forums radio button above and seeing a new thread in Incidents.

I wonder if its going to be someone else I know.[:/]

I know... I know.... it can never happen to you........ yeah you...... you know who I am talking to.

so, you're coming to the speedskydiving here or not!? :P

Nope not this year, Work intrudes on my favorite way to play.[:/][:/]

The sky is my playground, it has no speedlimit imposed by man.

There fore I speed.

""Life should NOT be a journey
to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and
well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, Champagne in
one hand - strawberries in the
other, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming
'WOO HOO - What
a Ride!'" "
— Mavis Leyrer

What about those who realize it, then deny it, then realize it again and then don't care about it?

Cool, just dont take anyone with you when you go.... and your passing will doubtfully affect you, just those left behind.

I know what you mean. Last month, we lost two friends in our state on one day. The following weekend, another friend in Texas. This sport seems intent on convincing us of our own mortality.

I don't jump as much as I used to. After reading Incident Reports and such on DZ.com for a few weeks, I'm always amazed when I go to the DZ and don't see dozens of mals, botched landings, and injuries.

I guess the truth is:

1. Our friends will continue to get hurt and killed skydiving, usually from well-known and documented causes.
2. We will never get used to it.
3. If we do not treat every jump as potentially lethal, the next bounce could be us.

Kevin K.

What about those who realize it, then deny it, then realize it again and then don't care about it?

Bounce or Bowl - Take your choice.

They die...we laugh at 'em, steal their shit, fuck their girlfriends and then piss on their graves for being so fucking stupid.

You think I'm KIDDING?!

Next question. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks for this.

A week ago I was compiling a list of the NON-fatal injuries at my DZ in the last couple of years. While we have been fortunate to avoid a fatality recently... we have had many injuries from trivial to permenantly life changing. We have also had non-injury close calls that could have been SOOOO bad. It wasn't until I saw all of them on the page at once that the number of them really hit me...even I knew about each. I always knew this was risky, but I just saw it differently when it was on paper.

Part of the sense of invinincibility may be a failure to fully percieve and understand the information that we have.... I don't mean stupidity, but not appreciating the big picture, like me above.

I suspect that DZs don't keep a injury tally on the bulletin board for various reasons... that is too bad. I suspect that if we did, it might be a bit more real to folks.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

All I hear is ...

"I don't have the physical and mental abilities that you have that allow you to do what you do without getting injured or killed so stop doing what you're doing."

... so I'm just going to ignore it.

PS: Fly farther and pull lower for safety. ;)

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I am glad people take the time to share the losses they have experienced and lessons they have learned, and use it to impart some wisdom to others. Us new-comers simply don't have the information or frame of reference that the old-timers have. It's very valuable when delivered in a rational and caring way.

Similarly, I've seen AFFIs tell students, "go try something else, this just isn't for you" and really appreciate that kind of integrity and life-saving honesty. That said, I am glad it wasn't me they were talking to at the time. ;)

The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

For all of those skydivers who have not accepted the very inconvienient fact that you are indeed mortal yet, trust me eventually you will.

I remember a time when I too was invincible.

It was not a sustainable state of affairs.

I think after losing a few friends the reality started to sink in that maybe everyone was not so invicible but that was them but I certainly was.

EVENTUALLY... I realized my mortality!!!!!

This is not about those of us with higher jump numbers baggin on those just starting out who obviously have "mAd SkIlLz" its about trying to keep you as young jumpers out of the "Incidents Forum"

Some people are more blunt on here that you are willing to accept.. but when you screw up in this and many other "eXtReMe SpOrTzzz" you can get DEAD. Hopefully when you do that, you are not going to take someone else with you.

I really do hate opening up the Forums radio button above and seeing a new thread in Incidents.

I wonder if its going to be someone else I know.[:/]

I know... I know.... it can never happen to you........ yeah you...... you know who I am talking to.

Otherwise known as becoming an adult.....
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

And if skydiving accidents don't make you realize it, just wait until you get older, and friends start dropping like flies around you, from cancer, heart attacks and other various old-age ailments. Then you REALLY get worried about when your time is coming...

It's not just the newer jumpers that act like idiots in the sky. Some of the biggest fuck ups I have ever witnessed came from 1,000+ jump wonders.B|

And every time I see the how safe "Driving vs. Skydiving" analogy threads I want to scream.:S

One of these days I am going to post the names of everyone I have been friends with over the years that has gone in, and describe how it happened and their jump experience. [:/]

Be careful out there and have fun.

Im not trying to sound too much like a dick, But when low number jumpers insist on making little remarks like this when some one with a "little" more experience is trying to open some ones eyes, You are doing nothing but making it harder for your self and other low jumpers to get a chance to make it in the sport with out more pressure and judgment from the experienced jumpers. Basically what im trying to say, is if your joking great, if your not dont bother saying any thing. Im not an "experienced" jumper by any means of the definition. But what I am experienced at is keeping my mouth shut when the time is right ( unlike this very situation)
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

And if skydiving accidents don't make you realize it, just wait until you get older, and friends start dropping like flies around you, from cancer, heart attacks and other various old-age ailments. Then you REALLY get worried about when your time is coming...

I buy and consume champagne and strawberries frequently.

Being old and decrepit sucks.... but it still beats the shit out of a dirt nap.:ph34r:

Well as inevitable as it is, Im not too sure spending that time "worrying" is such a way I would like to spend my time.
After all worrying is like a rocking chair, Gives you something to do, But doesnt get you any where
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

Well as inevitable as it is, Im not too sure spending that time "worrying" is such a way I would like to spend my time.
After all worrying is like a rocking chair, Gives you something to do, But doesnt get you any where

Nope... I don't spend much time on it at all.. at least for myself... but it sucks when its those around you.

I definitely fit the quote I put above:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Next time someone at your DZ bounces, go to the morgue with the body and console the guy's family. Tell them how you don't care about death because you're such a badass. I'm sure they'll appreciate your point of view.

Or you can just grow the fuck up and realize it's not all about you.

- Dan G