BaronVonBoll

My Daughter wants to jump

I have read a couple of threads on here about kids wanting to jump. My Daughter 16 almopst 17 wants to jumnp. Soooo,,,,, instead of just saying no I made this agreement with her! her GPA must be 3.7 or higher before each jump. She has had to go to the DZ with me on my last ten jumps and I paid one of the riggers/packers to teach her how to pack chutes. She has studdied the sims with me and gone over the requirements with the TI. What do you guys think to much or should we do more?

How about buy her a tandem for Christmas and if she wants to do it more figure it out later..... If she actually wants to pack and has nothing to do on your jump day, pay her $5 each pack. Once other people see that you aren't having malfunctions, she might be able to pack for them as well. Don't force her into reading all of this info, if she doesn't really care then she won't bother remembering it. Also, don't force her to go to the dz. She should want to be there, not required just so she can "learn some respect for the sport" before she is allowed to jump for the first time.

It could be a great educational experience:-

Skydiving is a fantastic way of getting self esteem. Financially, it's a big present, so find some way to teach her the value of money - maybe she can help towards it by packing your rig or helping around the house

Finally : Buy her some pepper spray for Christmas and let here take the class.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

3.5 GPA buy her the first jump as the loving parent. let her earn the money for the rest working at the DZ dont forget to pay her to pack your rig too. Great that she has done some reading but I'd get the first jump in the bag and see if it is something she even wants to continue before overloading her with things. JMHO.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Hmmm. Having your 16-year-old daughter alone on the ground at the dz with a bunch of male skydivers while you're jumping. That can ruin a father's concentration. Introduce her to an older woman there to befriend her.

Depending on the older woman that could be equally dangerous.

id say if shes up to it do the first AFF class or a tandem to see if she wants to do it, and i can tell your like my parents only i had to get a 4.0 for a year before i could jump and then it had to be with my money, and if you do that she will learn the value of a dollar real quick like i did

Ive already told her she had to pay for her own jumps with the exeption of the first. According to the dz she has to be eighteen to do a tandem but can do the IAD now. Ill pay for the ground school and first two jumps then she can earn more by packing chutes or getting a pt job. I have always beeen of the oppinion that something given or unearned has no value! (Robert Heinline) I have to set the standard high because her younger brothers want to go to. As for dragging her to the dz she gets pissed when I dont take her with me. I have just gotten past the point where everyone at the dz conciders me a newbie and not worth talking to. everyione looks out for each other there not to concerned for her saftey. Aside from the fact the DZ owner has kind of taken her under his wing so to speak.

id say if shes up to it do the first AFF class or a tandem to see if she wants to do it, and i can tell your like my parents only i had to get a 4.0 for a year before i could jump and then it had to be with my money, and if you do that she will learn the value of a dollar real quick like i did

i think thats kinda lame i always hated when my mom tryed to say "i have to do good in something to do something that i want to do" i'm lucky she was really never like that! i would hate to think what my life would be like if she were. no matter how i was doing in school she as always at me to have fun and try new things if you have brought her up right you should never need to set the bar like that.

but she is your kid do what you feel is best but don't make her not want to do something she wants to do by setting rules B|

(in no way am i saying you don't know how to bring up your kid or kids this is just how i feel on the matter)
live and let live

this is an opportunity to share something with your daughter....need i say more???? most kids at that age think their parents are idiots...sounds like she has seen what you do and is impressed by it. Take it and run with it.........she could be taken away tomorrow in a car accident or walking across the street...at least by doing this she is doing something that she loves.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Ive already told her she had to pay for her own jumps with the exeption of the first. According to the dz she has to be eighteen to do a tandem but can do the IAD now. Ill pay for the ground school and first two jumps then she can earn more by packing chutes or getting a pt job. I have always beeen of the oppinion that something given or unearned has no value! (Robert Heinline) I have to set the standard high because her younger brothers want to go to. As for dragging her to the dz she gets pissed when I dont take her with me. I have just gotten past the point where everyone at the dz conciders me a newbie and not worth talking to. everyione looks out for each other there not to concerned for her saftey. Aside from the fact the DZ owner has kind of taken her under his wing so to speak.

My 11 year-old is already like that. Very free-spirited kid and recognizes that at the DZ and people there. (It's like pulling teeth trying to get her out of there when it gets to be adults-only time).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

The only time I ever get nervous in an airplane ride to altitude is when one of my kids is on the plane. That's something you'll have to deal with! Otherwise, when they turn 18, they will notneed your permission. In fact, at age 16 they should have the tools to make most of these decisions by themselves. That is, of course, if you've been a good parent so far.

Time to let go and see what happens. Unfortunately, not everything will be good and you'll have to sit back quietely and watch them make some mistakes.

Keep us posted...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Personally, I agree with your reasoning.

Now, the question is, is a 3.7 close to attainable for her? Or is she at a 2.5 now, and would need to REALLY step up her game to a level it's never been before? You don't want to make it an unattainable goal. 3.7 would've been a bit tougher for me, but I could've made it happen. And might've, if I had a good incentive.

Regardless, the way I look at it: 'earn' is NOT a four-letter word. I think it's good to make her work for it. It's a big thing.

And this is a sport where self-discipline is key. Yes, we've all broken the rules...but unlike soccer or basketball, breaking the rules here can get you killed. So I'd have no problem making it a conditional thing.

The bit about packing for you, then starting packing for others is a good one, too. Not only is it a good way to make cash (esp. as a teenager)...but she gets the bragging rights.

"Where do you work?"
"McDonald's. You?"
"Meh. I pack parachutes on the weekends."
B|
Signatures are the new black.

Carefull instruction and close supervision bring about safe skydivers. Obviously that is what you want your daughter to be, safe, in ANY situation, skydiving or otherwise. Sounds like with her GPA, she has a good head on her shoulders. I guess Id say dont be TOO strict as sometimes that has a reverse affect on children when coming from their parents. But if her passion for the sport is there, let her live her dreams! As you already know, the disciplines that you can learn from skydiving are applicable to many of lifes circumstances.. Also, what a blessing to be able to share that passion with not only another skydiver, but your daughter! Blue skies to you both!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

My five-year-old daughter asked me to come into my room one day. She was standing on our bed which is pretty high off the ground. She then leaped into the air toward me with a pretty good arch. I instinctively put out my arms and caught her. She then said, "See, daddy? I can fly like you can." She already wants to jump.

She has to get at least a 3.7 in kindergarten, though, and her finger painting needs a lot of work!!

I have read a couple of threads on here about kids wanting to jump. My Daughter 16 almopst 17 wants to jumnp. Soooo,,,,, instead of just saying no I made this agreement with her! her GPA must be 3.7 or higher before each jump. She has had to go to the DZ with me on my last ten jumps and I paid one of the riggers/packers to teach her how to pack chutes. She has studdied the sims with me and gone over the requirements with the TI. What do you guys think to much or should we do more?

didn't you find when you went off to school after high school that the kids with the most rules went crazy ??

i know all the girls that i knew that had harsh rules were all party freaks. a good thing for me..... i would think a bad thing for you :ph34r:
live and let live

didn't you find when you went off to school after high school that the kids with the most rules went crazy ??

i know all the girls that i knew that had harsh rules were all party freaks. a good thing for me..... i would think a bad thing for you :ph34r:

Don't you think there's a difference between "rules for the sake of rules" and "choices and consequences"?

It's not like he's setting a 7PM curfew for her...he's simply made an agreement outlining requirements, and is holding her accountable (while meeting his end of the bargain). On the other hand, telling her 'No, you CAN'T ever go skydiving' would likely have the effect you mentioned.

On the flipside, if everything in life was free, I doubt it would mean as much. I certainly would hate to see a 16 y/o at the DZ with a sense of entitlement.

Even though I knew some of those girls myself. ;)
Signatures are the new black.

Ummm i say we GO!! You know I been Workin my Bootie Off and...i dont think one jump will kills either of us :D :D:)

Is this the "daughter" in question? If so.. nice post. Nuttin like a quick "hi dad" on a blog to grab his attention! Hope he lets you go.. although...only 2 more years till you're 18! and away you go (sorry dad.. Im a skydiver who wants more skydivers in the sport! ) Hope to see you both in the blue skies.. till then... blessings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Don't you think there's a difference between "rules for the sake of rules" and "choices and consequences"?

It's not like he's setting a 7PM curfew for her...he's simply made an agreement outlining requirements, and is holding her accountable (while meeting his end of the bargain). On the other hand, telling her 'No, you CAN'T ever go skydiving' would likely have the effect you mentioned.

On the flipside, if everything in life was free, I doubt it would mean as much. I certainly would hate to see a 16 y/o at the DZ with a sense of entitlement.

Even though I knew some of those girls myself. ;)

well thats just the way i see it.

most poeple do better when they are having fun in life.

not saying she is not having a good time with things now!

i see those rules as being better for a first car or something that you can't really oversee that much not something like sky diving where you can be there every time if you want
live and let live

just bring home some loser dad will hate. Then you can promise to dump him after your first skydive.:)

No really keep up the hard work it will pay off in more ways than your FJC of course I can't think of a better start!!!

Good luck post your first jump video we're all pulling for you. No offense mean old dad!!!B|

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!