millertime24

First Cutaway

So here it is. After an uneventfull 2nd wingsuit flight I deployed my main at about 5000'. Main opened and immediately went into a violent left turn. with the wingsuit I was in, a Prodigy, I was able to grab the right rear riser and flatten the canopy back out a little. I reached up and got a hold of my left toggle and pumped it a few times as well as shaking the left risers to get the slider to come down. It was then I noticed the tension knot on the left side line group and it would not come out no matter how much I tried. I then made a decision. Hands on handles, pull red, got stable, pulled silver and was greeted by the most beautiful white PD reserve Ive ever seen by 2800'. Landed out on the south end of the airport. All gear recovered.

Beer owed; 1-case for a first wingsuit flight, 1-case for a first cutaway, 1-bottle of liquor to my rigger for saving my ass.
Muff #5048

Man oh man, that's quite a story. Was the tension knot caused by your own fault? From the looks of things, it seemed that you definitely knew what you were doing so good job on that!
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Man oh man, that's quite a story. Was the tension knot caused by your own fault? From the looks of things, it seemed that you definitely knew what you were doing so good job on that!

If I had to guess, and this is speculation only, I would think it may have been the fact that I had a packer pack my rig in about 3min so I could make the last load. Not that I BLAME him just seems like the most logical explination.
Muff #5048

first, congrats on reacting the way you were trained!B|

second, a clarification of your beer owed. you can buy all you like, and the bottle for the rigger is a separate thing, but you actually never owe more than one case per jump, no matter how many firsts were involved. B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

After an uneventfull 2nd wingsuit flight...
Beer owed; 1-case for a first wingsuit flight...

That sounds contradictory. Was it your 1st or your 2nd wingsuit flight?

^^-What he said. Since it didnt happen on the first WS jump then I owe 2 for 2 different reasons on 2 seperate jumps. Trust me, the beer nazis were VERY clear when explaining this to me.
Muff #5048

So here it is. After an uneventfull 2nd wingsuit flight I deployed my main at about 5000'. Main opened and immediately went into a violent left turn. with the wingsuit I was in, a Prodigy, I was able to grab the right rear riser and flatten the canopy back out a little. I reached up and got a hold of my left toggle and pumped it a few times as well as shaking the left risers to get the slider to come down. It was then I noticed the tension knot on the left side line group and it would not come out no matter how much I tried. I then made a decision. Hands on handles, pull red, got stable, pulled silver and was greeted by the most beautiful white PD reserve Ive ever seen by 2800'. Landed out on the south end of the airport. All gear recovered.

Beer owed; 1-case for a first wingsuit flight, 1-case for a first cutaway, 1-bottle of liquor to my rigger for saving my ass.

2200' foot lose under a slow speed mal (compared to a bag lock and such)....lucky you pulled high.;)

Just hastling you...i'm sure you were aware of how high you were.:P
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Hey Millertime, was that the PD reserve that I packed for you about a month or so ago?

Yup. What kind of liquor do you like?

Cool, my second save in the last two weeks.

We can talk about it when I get back from my trip.
Onward and Upward!

2200' foot lose under a slow speed mal (compared to a bag lock and such)....lucky you pulled high.;)

Deploying at 5000 feet does not mean in the saddle by 5000 feet.;)

Yeah I know just a little devils advocate.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Well, it could, but boy I dont wanna be that guy!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey Millertime, was that the PD reserve that I packed for you about a month or so ago?

Yup. What kind of liquor do you like?

Cool, my second save in the last two weeks.

We can talk about it when I get back from my trip.

Last year one of your pack jobs saved my life, too. Thanks, Scott. See you this weekend. Mike, good job on saving your ass.

Do you think the steering lines may have had a lot of twists in them? Do you check them/untwist them regularly?

Just wondering, as I suspect a lot of tension knots are due to this, just my unsubstantiated theory.

Mals are a rush, eh? Nice job.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do you think the steering lines may have had a lot of twists in them? Do you check them/untwist them regularly?

Just wondering, as I suspect a lot of tension knots are due to this, just my unsubstantiated theory.

Mals are a rush, eh? Nice job.

I havent done that and it very well could have attrributed to the tension knot. Either way Ill be giving the gear a good once over before jumping it again just to eliminate any other potential issues that may come up. Also, theres been quite a bit of discussion between me and a few other people about this maybe being more prone to happen with HMA lines. I really dont know if that has a lot to do with it, but now that Im in a statistics class I almost want to run the numbers on this one.
Muff #5048

I don't know anything about wingsuits, but getting stable between red and silver seems like it might take some extra time, and be prone to going unstable, and maybe ending up on your back or something. How long did you wait to get stable? Not talking shit, just honestly wondering. Good work on saving your ass.