JoeyRamone

Do you jump with a hook knife and have you used it

Don't buy a plastic hook knife. By the time you need it, it will be brittle and will break.

If you're talking about the cheap orange 'Zak' knife, you're right. If you're talking about a 'Jack the Ripper' knife, you're wrong.

I carry two knives on me but only one is accessible at a time. I have the nice metal knife with the finger-holes on the legstrap of my Mirage, and I carry a 'Jack the Ripper' on the right thigh of my BirdMan GTi.

I'm going to add another small knife to my chest strap so that I'll have one high, one low...with one always accessible by either hand.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to use one yet.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

there's a guy at my dz that jumps with about 6 of them.... both leg straps, chest strap, jumpsuit, etc etc. some people think it's excessive... i think it's smart. hey, why not? you could get in a situation, grab your hook knife and have it slip from your hands... then what? :S

Ha ha ha. I heard a story once about a guy on one of our local DZ's who did the same. As he was climbing on the plane one day a student asked him why he carried six hook knives. His reply? "Because i don't have space for a seventh! :P

Yes i have one, no i haven't needed it. Knock, knock, knock.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Think about the question..... an item that only cost
about 8 bucks, will not hinder your skydive and in the
event you needed it and didnt have one, lets just call you Izzy while you go in thinking about the $8
you saved. Hope I have put it to perspective.

Be safe Brother

I have worn one for years, and now I do not anymore.

The only time I needed one was a main/reserve entanglement on a tandem. I did not have one with me, but to be honest, I needed a chainsaw, not a knife.

I think for 99% of the people out there and given the canopies were are jumping today, that a knife is nothing short of unnecessary. CReW dogs I am sure would disagree and probably have a need for one.

I've just had my rigger move my knife from my leg strap to above my cutaway handle as I can't access my leg strap with my wing suit on.

it is a requirement in the UK to have one but I would jump with one even if it wasn't. So cheap, so unlikely I will ever need it but hey, might as well have one...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I have worn one for years, and now I do not anymore.

The only time I needed one was a main/reserve entanglement on a tandem. I did not have one with me, but to be honest, I needed a chainsaw, not a knife.

I think for 99% of the people out there and given the canopies were are jumping today, that a knife is nothing short of unnecessary. CReW dogs I am sure would disagree and probably have a need for one.

They are handy for cutting the ends off oxygen hoses.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They are handy for cutting the ends off oxygen hoses.

True, but you may find it not sharp enough if you end up needing it. IMO, hook knives shouldn't be touched except in emergency, other than periodic inspection to be sure the blade is sharp, shiny, ready to use.
I jump with one, but I jump with a good one. I've seen too many of the cheapo plastic ones break or have blades fallen out.

I think the cheapo plastic ones should be clearly identified. For some stupid reason Paragear still sells them. They are of course the tiny orange plastic Z knife, also called Zak knife - see attachment.

All plastic hook knives are not the same, just the orange ones are bad (if I'm wrong please let us know). There are other plastic knives that are a very good design. Others have previously commented that 2 bladed designs are vulnerable to not cutting cleanly as stuff can get stuck between the blades, something that can't happen with a single blade design.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Eh Oh, Lets Go...

I love the ramones...B|

hmm hook knife!

One of the toys that everyone should want but nobody should want to use.

I carry one for the unlikely event of a lineover on my reserve.

There are plenty of other scenarios that may require one but that is the one that psycologically gets me!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix