TSISK

jump 23 malfuntion

It was a line over on the left side, It put me into a pretty good spin. I realized pretty quick that there wasn't much i could do. Yes we found the main and the reserve was a pd253 and it rode different than im used to. Ive made 20 jumps on a 280 and just decided today to move down to a 260.I liked the way the 260 felt Im 6'4" and about 215.

It was a line over on the left side, It put me into a pretty good spin. I realized pretty quick that there wasn't much i could do. Yes we found the main and the reserve was a pd253 and it rode different than im used to. Ive made 20 jumps on a 280 and just decided today to move down to a 260.I liked the way the 260 felt Im 6'4" and about 215.

I moved down to a student 260 on my last jump due to the student 280 being in use. I'm 6'0" and 225. I also liked it much better than the 280. Not that it really has any relevance to your mal, but I am going to stick with the 260 unless someone objects.

Well i did 21, 22, and 23 today. I had my first cutaway and reserve landing on jump 23. At least ive got that out of the way

:D

;)

At least you got one out of the way. Generally, what I hear, after the first one... you aren't as nervous about the second one.

Speaking of downsizing... I started out on a 240 but moved to a 220 on AFF 7 because all the other rigs were gone. I stuck to it since just because I like the overall feel to it.
Don't forget to pull!

Same here. I'm 6 foot 170 or so, and was using a 240 initially. They have since moved me down to the 220 and I was really suprised at even being able to tell the difference at all. It flys much better though (from my limited experience) Seems to get me back home better if I end up taking my downwind a bit too far :D

Well i did 21, 22, and 23 today. I had my first cutaway and reserve landing on jump 23. At least ive got that out of the way

Hi,
Congratulations;)! How was the reserve landing (half-braked PLF)? I had a line-over on jump #15. I had been off for a couple weeks, & just wanted a nice, calm, get back into the swing skydive. Didn't work out that way. Happily, I was opening high (5500') @the time. I felt a rough opening. Looked up, & "Oh shit." Three feet of the canopy was collapsed by lines. Pulling on risers only made it worse (spin). I hung there laughing to myself that I'd have to cut it. I tried pulling on the left toggle really hard. It worked. It turned out to be mostly the steering line. The cascades were spread over the three feet of cells.

A part of me was saddened. I wanted to chop itB|!! Don't tell my DZO...

Same here. I'm 6 foot 170 or so, and was using a 240 initially. They have since moved me down to the 220 and I was really suprised at even being able to tell the difference at all. It flys much better though (from my limited experience) Seems to get me back home better if I end up taking my downwind a bit too far :D

Hrm. I weigh 190 and they started me out on a 240. 220 is the lowest I can go and that's what I jump. Though, I am not interested in going lower anyway. I slide on my ass just fine if I can't make the stand-up :P
Don't forget to pull!

That's very impressive! Keep it up and make a new record without any cutaways!

Met a guy a few months ago had 22,000jumps and ONLY 8 cutaways with only 2 on his sport rig and the rest on tandems!:o:o:o

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Interesting.... I had a line over the left side on my canopy on jump number 23 as well :o I thought about a cutaway, but somehow? the line over corrected and I had enough altitude to kick out of severe riser twists...the good thing is, it is on video ;)

congrats on a successful cutaway and reserve ride!

beeeeer!

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Good job. You made it 3 jumps further into the sport than I did when I had my fir... err... initial malfunction; nearly the same failure mode as you described.

And, as others have said, if you haven't already, CASE OF :D

;)

and don't forget your rigger's favorite bottle of liquor.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."