ja3688

Fall rate before opening

I made jumps 11 and 12 this past Saturday with a coach. They were my first jumps with my new Altitrack. The jumps went great, but when I got home that night and started looking over the playback, I noticed something that I thought was strange on jump 12. For most of the jump, my fall rate (with my Altitrack set on TAS) was hanging out at around 130mph, never going higher than 135 or so. But right at my deployment altitude, it shot up to 150mph, and stayed there for several seconds, until it finally went back down when I was under canopy.

Is this normal? I assume it had something to do with my body position... maybe I arched harder as I pulled or something? I just thought it was strange, because I pulled right at 4500ft (confirmed by my coach), and my fall rate was showing 150 until about 3300ft, when it finally slowed down and the Altitrack registered me being under canopy.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a normal thing to see when playing back a jump, or if there may be something wrong with my body position that's causing me to go faster before I deploy. It just seems to me (based on my extremely limited knowledge and experience) like speeding up before opening would be a recipe for some unpleasant openings (although the opening on this jump was fine). These are the only two jumps I've done with a freefall computer, so I have no way of knowing if this is a one-time thing, or if it's something that happens every jump.

I know I'd be better off asking my coach or instructor specific questions about my body position and the like, I just thought I'd ask the general question here, to see if I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I would have asked my coach about it that day, but I didn't notice it until I got home that night. He didn't mention anything about my body position or fall rate being off before I opened, though.

... but when I got home that night and started looking over the playback...

You mean you downloaded the data and looked at a detailed graph? If not, then it is my opinion that you don't have enough information to be sure about anything.

For most of the jump, my fall rate ... was hanging out at around 130mph... But right at my deployment altitude, it shot up to 150mph, and stayed there for several seconds, until it finally went back down when I was under canopy. Is this normal?

One explanation could be that you were tense while being expected to perform manuevers for the coach, and fell slower, then when that was over you relaxed and started falling faster right before pull time.

It's typical for new jumpers to go into a 'hard' arch at pull time. At the same time you are reducing your surface area by reaching back and holding one arm in front of your head. It may seem like you have the same surface area, but it's not as effective as when you're in a symetrical body position in terms of slowing you down.

In terms of why your gizmo says you were falling at 3300ft, forget about it. If none of your instructors or coaches have said anything to you about unusual body positions at pull time, don't worry about what the little box tells you.

my fall rate (with my Altitrack set on TAS) was hanging out at around 130mph, never going higher than 135 or so.

Ah good to see another brick like myself;)

Ha, that's almost funny. My top speed on belly during training was 159, my averages were in the 140s. I'm still trying to slow my fat a** down...

my fall rate (with my Altitrack set on TAS) was hanging out at around 130mph, never going higher than 135 or so.

Ha, that's almost funny. My top speed on belly during training was 159, my averages were in the 140s. I'm still trying to slow my fat a** down...

See post #4 of this thread.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Looser jumpsuit. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In terms of why your gizmo says you were falling at 3300ft, forget about it. If none of your instructors or coaches have said anything to you about unusual body positions at pull time, don't worry about what the little box tells you.

That makes sense... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should be worried about, but I've always been told I'm stable and my body position is good when I deploy, and I guess that's what matters. Oh, and...

Salads ;)

Yeah, I think that might solve more problems than just my fall rate :D

Thanks for the replies! B|

I don't know much about those gizmos, but a lot of novices will go slightly head down when they pull, or pull in their feet. Also, the wave off and reach make some people lose lift. All these things can make you accelerate on the bottom end of the jump. Not a big deal. However, you got a smokin' fast fall rate. If you want to jump with other people a lot, you're gonna have to slow it down. :o:)

?
Oh! Adding vegetation to the outside of your jumpsuit creates extra drag. Got it.

I don't know what you were doing at deployment time, and I don't know much about Altitracks mounted on a wrist. But in general, errors from altitude recording devices are possible.

Eg, my Protrack on the outside of a helmet always shows huge speed increases when I track off from an RW jump. I can track well and I'm certainly not doing 150+ mph downwards, but the gadget sees some sort of change in pressure due to body position change. The big speed increase disappears over time during a long sustained track.

So keep checking around to see what people with Altitracks say.

Ha, yeah I figured that was a pretty ridiculous fall rate :P I'm 5'10" and about 215lbs. I'm not what you'd call fat, but i could definitely stand to lose a pound or 3. I've been working out and losing some weight, with a goal of 180 or 190. So I'm not sure if i should buy a really baggy jumpsuit now to slow my fall rate, or if I'd be better off waiting a little while to see how much my fall rate changes after I lose some more weight. I'd just hate to spend all that $$ on a jumpsuit just to have to get rid of it in a couple months. Oh well, i guess that's something I'll have to discuss with my instructors.

It's relatively easy to take in a jumpsuit that is too big; a lot more difficult to make one bigger that's too small. Buying a jumpsuit to fit the body you have now will help your progression. You can keep it baggy as your "slow suit" and buy another one that fits tighter, or you can have that one taken in when you reach your goal weight.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't know much about those gizmos, but a lot of novices will go slightly head down when they pull, or pull in their feet. Also, the wave off and reach make some people lose lift.

reminds me of a Cat D I had a couple weeks back

his automatic response to anything was feet on butt - He really accelerated whenever he tried anything other than station keeping

at pull time - feet on butt, elbows into the chicken wing and zoom - away he goes - I bet we were pushing 150 - next time I'm wearing my weight belt with this one

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Are there any students in US that at least don't weigh 100 kg's? :D

Hey Sangi, I weighed 165 on my first jump, 15 # over that now, My wife weighed 120, less than that now. :PCome over to our DZ and we'll show you a lot of fit people. :P

With good teeth....:ph34r: