adaugherty91

First skydive.... HOLY CRAP!!!!

That was unbelievable! I've never felt such a feeling! I'm so glad I chose to do this! I never knew that human's could feel such an amazing feeling. As soon as I hit the ground, I wanted to do it again, and again, and again. I plan on doing it again soon. Wow.

But I feel kind of embarrassed. For some reason, while I was in free fall, I couldn't move. I was having trouble doing the practice touches. My instructor had to force my hand back there. I didn't have a problem with composure so much, I was watching my altimeter and went for the ripcord at 5500, I couldn't find it. I don't know. Any ideas? Also, I was having just a little bit of trouble breathing. It took me a few seconds to get that first breathe through.

Any Ideas to help me out next time?

This was amazing. Props to Mike at Skydive Chicago! Thanks dude!

That was unbelievable! I've never felt such a feeling! I'm so glad I chose to do this! I never knew that human's could feel such an amazing feeling. I plan on doing it again soon. Wow.

But I feel kind of embarrassed. For some reason, while I was in free fall, I couldn't move. I was having trouble doing the practice touches. My instructor had to force my hand back there. I didn't have a problem with composure so much, I was watching my altimeter and went for the ripcord at 5500, I couldn't find it. I don't know. Any ideas? Also, I was having just a little bit of trouble breathing. It took me a few seconds to get that first breathe through.

Any Ideas to help me out next time?

This was amazing. Props to Mike at Skydive Chicago! Thanks dude!

Just from reading your post, it's easy to tell that the adrenaline is what got to you. You are not the first person to have a little trouble breathing because it's a new experience to your body and you are a little unsure what to expect. When I did my first AFF jump, I couldn't find my handle either. My instructor ultimately had to pull it and I was very frustrated. It's actually a lot easier than you think. All of my instructors beat it into my head that "Slow is fast, and fast is slow". This is very true and I use it on a daily basis.

As soon as I hit the ground, I wanted to do it again

You mean when you softly landed with both feet on the ground? :P
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Hi Adam,

Glad that you liked it; that is what it should be.

FYI the vast majority of experienced skydivers just came out to make one jump & go on with their life. The problem is the addiction. :P

JerryBaumchen

+1 I definitely agree. I'm obviously new to the sport but I originally just wanted to make that first jump which I did in Guam, USA...then I found myself going to Hawaii, then it was San Diego, and it hasn't stopped since lol.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Just stick with it and keep jumping. You know you want to. Skydiving is not a natural activity and you're facing up to a lot of your self preservation "fight or flight" instincts. Don't expect to learn it all at once. It takes time and it takes more jumps. But you'll get there. Welcome aboard !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Nice one dude!
I just got back from USA (Lake Elsinore) to do my AFF.....I couldn't believe the bloody weather it was terrible!..effing typical!...but cant plan it....so only got to do 3 jumps (level 3).....I have 'relaxing' issues I need to address...LOL.
One of the best holidays of my life!
Hooked totally!

Welcome to our world! And our addiction! lol

Almost everyone walks away from their first or second tandem thinking that they could've done much better when, in fact, they probably did as well as most. You really weren't expected to do much of what you were taught, other than not freaking out, and maybe arching a little. It sounds to me like you did just fine.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at SDC and I hope we'll be able to jump together next year once you've graduated AFP. Till then... blue skies!

After one jump, I'm hooked. I already know it. I'm going again before season's end, start my courses next year. I figured this would happen. And I think I'm able to say something that not alot of people can say: I'm addicted!!! AND PROUD OF IT! It's all that's been running through my head. I've been going through my next jump in my head so I can get it down.

One more thing, how do I overcome the ear thing? Falling at 13500 feet kind of has an effect on your ears, and in my case, a pretty painful one. Does that cease over time?

Thanks all!

I was watching my altimeter and went for the ripcord at 5500

Please, please don't call it a ripcord. If you plan on skydiving again, it's only going to get you laughed at. Pilot chute. Pilot chute. Pilot chute.

Good job on watching your altimeter, though. :P

I was watching my altimeter and went for the ripcord at 5500

Please, please don't call it a ripcord. If you plan on skydiving again, it's only going to get you laughed at. Pilot chute. Pilot chute. Pilot chute.

Good job on watching your altimeter, though. :P

Other acceptable terms are "chute rope" or "stopping rope". Example: People on the ground yelling, "Oh my god! Pull your chute rope!" Then they would yell, "Hook it!, Hook it!" :)
PS: Congrats and Welcome!

That was unbelievable! I've never felt such a feeling! I'm so glad I chose to do this! I never knew that human's could feel such an amazing feeling. As soon as I hit the ground, I wanted to do it again, and again, and again. I plan on doing it again soon. Wow.

+1;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

skydiving is a total sensory over load the first time for just about every one

theres a phenomenal video called adrenaline rush, the science of risk done by an IMAX team thats definitely worth checking out

http://www.amazon.com/Adrenaline-Rush-IMAX-Disc-WMVHD/dp/B000EOTWCY

not only does it it have awesome skydiving and base jumping footage it explains why we adrenaline junkies love the rush so much
Jump more, Bitch less.