millertime24

Different way to flare?

I did it once...when I was scared shitless of what was just about to happen. Doesn't matter how hard you flap your arms, it ain't agonna give you no lift.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

a. What someone *wants* to do does not change physics.

b. Not all old techniques are correct.

c. Not all old correct techniques work with modern equipment.

The guy that did it was using a stilleto, not the most modern canopy, but a fairly modern canopy none the less. He could land on a dime almost every time with it. Especially for beer. :P

2. An aircraft can slip to decrease speed before landing.
Impossible with a flexible wing without ailerons and rudder.

Then don't try to compare the two methods since they are different.

Thats exactly what my post intended to state.

So youtube got to me again, and I figured I would try something I saw on a skydiving video. Basically, when I went to flare, instead of the standard "flying the canopy to the ground" bit I usually do, I pumped the brakes several times rapidly. To my amazement it actually gave me the softest no-wind landing Ive ever had.

My question is, what is happening differently when doing this with the canopy? Also I have not yet had the chance to try this in a cross-wind landing, but I'm sure it's doable. Anywho, any canopy/phisics experts out there care to explain why this method of flaring works so well?

Gear info:

Pilot 150
W/L 1.35-1

i'd stay away from this. go take some flying lessons; after you've flown an aircraft you'll realize why this isn't an effective way to land a wing.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

That's Jeff N. in the video, why don't you ask him? I'm betting it was done for show (or excitement) and not for performance.

PS: Copying stuff you see while watching videos online without knowing anything about the stuff is ... :S

Well, damn. Guess I better send back my Velo Comp I just ordered after watching those swoops.

I DO have common sense. Do you?
Muff #5048

>But so far I see, some that have either tried this or seen it
>done numerous times and say it works...

Make no mistake, you can land this way. I know several people who used that technique, and they got good landings.

But there are lots of ways you can land. For example, as soon as your feet touch the ground after a good flare, you can take a few wraps and stall the canopy hard. If you time it just right, you'll stop very quickly. Is that an ideal way to land? Not for me - but for someone who has to stop before he runs into a truck, it could indeed work.

That's Jeff N. in the video, why don't you ask him? I'm betting it was done for show (or excitement) and not for performance.

PS: Copying stuff you see while watching videos online without knowing anything about the stuff is ... :S

Well, damn. Guess I better send back my Velo Comp I just ordered after watching those swoops.

I DO have common sense. Do you?

I'm not the one going out and trying stuff I saw in a video online without knowing anything about it first ... :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Actually, watching video of planned action is WAY more than just planning it out of theory. You can see before try and prepare better.

Assuming it's not fabricated video, YouTube is fine with me.
I really don't care whether it's from on-line, NASA, or flea market.
What goes around, comes later.