jf951

max height for tandem students?

so one of my friends who's about 6'3-6'4 wants to do a tandem and just double check with me to make sure they have gear to fit him.

it brought up the question for me, how tall can a tandem student be, is there some max height limit set by the manufacturer or other factors? or is it simply just weight?

also for the TI's whats the tallest and heaviest tandem youve taken?
Jump more, Bitch less.

6'4" is well within the limits of all typical tandem harnesses. Heck, its not even THAT tall. Me thinks your friend either has an ego about his height, or is looking for an excuse to not skydive without sounding like a sissy. Probably both.

its actually not him who's worried about it. its his girl friend haha:P
Jump more, Bitch less.

The tallest student - I have taken - was about 6 feet 7 inches tall. I would continue to take tall students.

The heaviest student I have ever taken weighed 270 pounds. He was a only slightly taller than me, but was a retired rugby player with thighs like tree trunks, so I had no fear of breaking him.
However, after injuring my shoulder - in a plane crash - I now longer take students weighing more than 230 pounds. I also wonder whether heavier students might exceed the placarded weight limit on the reserve?????

I've taken 6'8 or 6'9, couple of WSU basket ball players, but then I'm 6'8". That was out of a 182 too, not an issue at all as long as everyone folds up well.

Max weight that I've taken was 255 lbs, with me and the gear we were loaded to about 525 lbs. My rigs and reserves are rated up to 525 lbs. I wouldn't and do not go that heavy anymore, but the Precision 365 did land really nicely at that weight, even got a little swoop.

I've jumped as student in front of a 5'4" tall 130 lb woman. (pic attached)

Somewhat interesting along this line, I'm now a Tandem IE, so all of my tandem candidates will have jumped with a 6'8" (I keep my weight down to 210) guy right from the start!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

...with a 6'8" (I keep my weight down to 210) guy right from the start!

Uh huh... my TIE was 90 kg (as I read in the waiver etc) but when we checked on the scales - which must have been out of order :P - it read 105 kgs (230+ lbs) :o
Boy I was so relieved when I took an 88 kg guy on jump #6 and #7... B|
On the other hand, you learn about "toggle pressure" - I did some new exercises in the gym immediately after :)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Martin,

We are on the same wavelength.
I have found - the hard way - that when you hang more then 400 pounds of meat - under a SET 400 main or 425 reserve, that it becomes "no fun for anyone.
So that adds up to a practical limit - on Strong tandem gear - of around 455 pounds.

Only a fool operates routinely at the placarded limits. Smart TIs - and pilots - always leave themselves a margin of error below placarded limits.

I've taken 6'8 or 6'9, couple of WSU basket ball players, but then I'm 6'8". That was out of a 182 too, not an issue at all as long as everyone folds up well.

looked at the pic and I think your on to something there. All she has to do is only take tall guys and they can all walk out the door with her.

Max weight that I've taken was 255 lbs, with me and the gear we were loaded to about 525 lbs. My rigs and reserves are rated up to 525 lbs. I wouldn't and do not go that heavy anymore, but the Precision 365 did land really nicely at that weight, even got a little swoop.

I've jumped as student in front of a 5'4" tall 130 lb woman. (pic attached)

Somewhat interesting along this line, I'm now a Tandem IE, so all of my tandem candidates will have jumped with a 6'8" (I keep my weight down to 210) guy right from the start!

Classic..We did that once at perris when one of our females got her rating..The "student" (navy SEAL) stood up and walked away with her...:ph34r:

Martin,

I have found - the hard way - that when you hang more then 400 pounds of meat - under a SET 400 main or 425 reserve, that it becomes "no fun for anyone.
So that adds up to a practical limit - on Strong tandem gear - of around 455 pounds.

Only a fool operates routinely at the placarded limits. Smart TIs - and pilots - always leave themselves a margin of error below placarded limits.

I agree Rob,
The fall rate scares me, but I tend to be bothered by stuff like that more now than I did when I had a couple hundred tandems. Maybe I know more now? I do know that no drogue terminal with two guys in the 210/220 lb range is scary fast.

I guess somewhat obviously, worst case is to end up under a reserve and loaded to 500 lbs. Hope for the best, grit your teeth, and flair like hell. Well, or just not load that heavy to begin with.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Martin,

I agree Rob,
The fall rate scares me, but I tend to be bothered by stuff like that more now than I did when I had a couple hundred tandems. Maybe I know more now? I do know that no drogue terminal with two guys in the 210/220 lb range is scary fast.

I guess somewhat obviously, worst case is to end up under a reserve and loaded to 500 lbs. Hope for the best, grit your teeth, and flair like hell. Well, or just not load that heavy to begin with.

Martin

I blew out(ruptured) a disc filming a 230 passenger in front of a 235 pound TI (TM back then) I wish I had learn to sit fly before that happened, but .....Hind sight....

It made for an interesting video though, my back exploded(felt like it) I went head down to keep them in frame, and it was right at deployment time, so I flipped into a stand up....(sounds wierd, but made great video)

Landing without being able to feel my legs...also made interesting video..:$

Martin,

I do know that no drogue terminal with two guys in the 210/220 lb range is scary fast.

at over 250 myself w/o gear I've been the horse for a bunch of rodeo's once did a rodeo with a 210 lb guy on my back. it got scarry fast. and even thought I spent a good 13 14 seconds after he got off trying my best to slow down the the opening was still shall we say brisk. and a bit painfull.:S I wish i'd had my neptune back then i'd like to know what we got up to.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .