Muffie

Why Don't You Jump Anymore?

when you can say you've been in the sport for 10 years, you have 3,000 skydives, have never had a reserve ride or a broken a bone, then maybe you'll have our attention about safety issues.

I've had four reserve rides... I'm useless... Oh well.

Depends on why you had them. If a single one was due to your carelessness in packing or gear maintenance, I think it does count as a strike against you. Ok, maybe you learned from that mistake, but what about the other three? Like I said, it all depends, but people just don't put up the kinds of numbers I'm talking about on average and I think most of us would agree we should strive for better than average and not the 200 jump wonders.

That's the point I was trying to make.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Apples to Oranges Paul...comparing reserve rides to safety attitude.

:D:D:D I've racked up 14 reserve rides, but then again I use to jump some pretty ratty gear
...all I could afford at the time.

My P.C. round wasn't always so sound, the rings & ropes were sometimes 'nopes' with my Para Plane, my 252's spider slider worked good MOST of the time, the frap strap on my cloud would let her bang ya hard enough to blow a few lines now and then...and shit man, for a while there, I had a THUNDERBOW!
:S

On the other hand, 35 plus years in it, and nothing more than a handful of bruises says something ~ the point after all is to get through this adventure with as FEW dings and downtime as possible...call it tough, lucky or madd skillz - it says SOMETHING. ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I believe if you aren't currently jumping you shouldn't be on this site because after time you will forget things and give outdated advice

Sounds like you need to take a walk.

Re: PeteJonesAsshat;

I know it's so hard to resist, but if you'd all simply ignore this jerk and stop replying to any of his posts, he'll eventually fade into background noise. By buying into his lures, it just feeds his game. He lives for it.

no no! dont stop him now! im bored, and throughly enjoying this. petejones go on, continue your words of wisdom.

when can we start a poll on how petejones is gonna go in?
it surely needs to be started soon. we can put money on it, a gentlemen's bet, $1 should suffice
Jump more, Bitch less.

I believe if you aren't currently jumping you shouldn't be on this site because after time you will forget things and give outdated advice

But what if I want to know where to stow the crown lines on a ParaCommander, if using a bag not a sleeve? Or when I should file the centering tip off the male Capewell lug?

That's when I need the old timers. :)

or a manual :S

jurors won't take you seriously in a court of law if you say "yeah i just did what some old guy told me"
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

jurors won't take you seriously in a court of law if you say "yeah i just did what some old guy told me"

You're right.
On the other hand (unlike you), instructors have accepted personal responsibility that they've been qualified by an Examiner to undertake. And a juror would pay attention to "a USPA-qualified instructor told me to..."

when you can say you've been in the sport for 10 years, you have 3,000 skydives, have never had a reserve ride or a broken a bone, then maybe you'll have our attention about safety issues.

Depends on why you had them. If a single one was due to your carelessness in packing or gear maintenance, I think it does count as a strike against you. Ok, maybe you learned from that mistake, but what about the other three? Like I said, it all depends, but people just don't put up the kinds of numbers I'm talking about on average and I think most of us would agree we should strive for better than average and not the 200 jump wonders.

I know what you were getting at Paul, I was just giving you a hard time because you threw cutaways in there and sometimes cutaways happen.

If you want my two cents regarding safety and how it relates to my cutaways I'll share this... If you're doing four-way and breaking off at 4500 or 4000 ft, and you jump a sub-100 cross-braced canopy, it doesn't really matter how good you are at getting out of line-twists, you will find yourself at your hard deck cutting away when eeeeeh another 500 ft and you would've gotten out of them.

But that's why they're called hard decks.

How exactly would YOU know what an instructor would say?

Mad skillz, dude.

Mr Jones would be one of the reasons I don't jump anymore. The others include not wanting to provide financial support to an organization that doesn't meet it's primary objectives, not wanting to be taken out by some ego-driven ass under a canopy s/he doesn't have the experience to safely fly and being tired of not getting to jump with my man because everyone else thinks they need to jump with him.

If you want a real PA, I can PM you one. I have plenty.

Mine are better than yours.

In that case - ladies first!

Frankly I am not going to humor him.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I know what you were getting at Paul, I was just giving you a hard time because you threw cutaways in there and sometimes cutaways happen.

If you want my two cents regarding safety and how it relates to my cutaways I'll share this... If you're doing four-way and breaking off at 4500 or 4000 ft, and you jump a sub-100 cross-braced canopy, it doesn't really matter how good you are at getting out of line-twists, you will find yourself at your hard deck cutting away when eeeeeh another 500 ft and you would've gotten out of them.

But that's why they're called hard decks.

And yet what both you and airtwardo are talking DOES speak toward gear selection.

Let me suggest to you that a person who was concerned more about safety than swoops or cheap gear might select gear that has a tendency to open more reliably and can deal with line twists rather than HAVING to cut them away.
quade -

Well...when it's was a question of using cheap yet airworthy and period popular gear or not getting in the air at all, I'm quite comfortable with MY choice.

To me it's not necessarily the gear selected, as much as how it's operated that measures one's attitude regarding safety.

It's always been that way, get in over your head and they carry ya away without one. . .if 'safe' gear selection were actually a primary 'safety' concern, then we'd all be jumping 300' 7cells.

I currently have all kinds of modern, what you might call 'safe' gear that can still be used in a manner that could lay me up or end my life, I just take a very conservative (re:safe) path when using it.

Certainly. That said, look around the average packing area today and I can guarantee you'll see some guys opting for twitchier gear and trash packing it. My observation is those guys generally rack up more reserve rides than the guys with more conservative gear that are meticulous in their packing.
quade -

Certainly. That said, look around the average packing area today and I can guarantee you'll see some guys opting for twitchier gear and trash packing it. My observation is those guys generally rack up more reserve rides than the guys with more conservative gear that are meticulous in their packing.

I dunno where YOU jump, but at my home DZ there are only about 10% of us packing our own rigs! :ph34r:;)

I dunno where YOU jump, but at my home DZ there are only about 10% of us packing our own rigs! :ph34r:;)

And you better stay on that side of the packing area, or the Queen B of the packers will come kill you dead. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Let me suggest to you that a person who was concerned more about safety than swoops or cheap gear might select gear that has a tendency to open more reliably and can deal with line twists rather than HAVING to cut them away.

Let me suggest to you that cutaways, while undesirable, aren't as big a deal as you're making them out to be. You listed them along side broken bones as reasons people should be ignored regarding safety issues. Do you really mean that?

it surely needs to be started soon. we can put money on it, a gentlemen's bet, $1 should suffice

It's comments like this that i don't really care for. I understand this is being made in jest, but the fact of the matter is, going in is a reality in this sport. Sky God or not, comments regarding whether or not someone is going to go in are just unnecessary.

I understand that this sport is all about experience and attitude and doing one stupid thing can kill you. And there are people that do these stupid things and die. But to make a comment that someone is going to go in is out of line as far as im concerned.

It's one thing to give someone advice that would help prevent killing them but to just say "that person is going to go in" is just silly because in reality we dont know his true attitude in this sport. He's a troll on an internet forum. It's doesn't mean that in real life he's an irresponsible skydiver.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Sounds like you need to take a walk.

Re: PeteJonesAsshat;

I know it's so hard to resist, but if you'd all simply ignore this jerk and stop replying to any of his posts, he'll eventually fade into background noise. By buying into his lures, it just feeds his game. He lives for it.

no no! dont stop him now! im bored, and throughly enjoying this. petejones go on, continue your words of wisdom.

glad to know you have a death wish on me :S
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

I went windsurfing and haven't got back yet (I can only focus on one sport at a time)...

hah, me too. I've been living in the caribbean for the last 10 yrs, kiting and windsurfing...kind of similar in many ways..but free.

No DZ here anyways, but skies call recently.

...but to just say "that person is going to go in" is just silly

Not making a qualitative statement to you either way on your position on this - just "letting you know"... It's called "bounce-bingo", and it's been around for longer than you - and maybe even I was a twinkle in our daddy's eye.

What is it, that Aussie fella likes to espouse when he hears such a-snivellin'? Oh yeah... ...Harden the F-up, cupcake! ;):) "Comes with the territory".
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

How exactly would YOU know what an instructor would say?

Mad skillz, dude.

Mr Jones would be one of the reasons I don't jump anymore. The others include not wanting to provide financial support to an organization that doesn't meet it's primary objectives, not wanting to be taken out by some ego-driven ass under a canopy s/he doesn't have the experience to safely fly and being tired of not getting to jump with my man because everyone else thinks they need to jump with him.

+1

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

35 plus years in it, and nothing more than a handful of bruises says something ~ the point after all is to get through this adventure with as FEW dings and downtime as possible...call it tough, lucky or madd skillz - it says SOMETHING.

There is a young man at Skydive Iowa who also started jumping in the early 70's and is still very active today. He is always working with new jumpers, organizing safety day, canopy control classes and other activities around the DZ. He is also a pilot who will generously take time to fly a load when needed.

He sometimes posts here, but his actions at the DZ are what speak the loudest. I have a ton of respect for him because of his commitment to helping others and his longevity. And he's the only grandfather at the DZ flying a Velocity.
:)
There are things that keep people inspired and active in the sport. For 'That Guy', it is obviously helping others.

edit to add ... He is also driven by 4-way competition, load organizing and jumbo margaritas.

But what if I want to know where to stow the crown lines on a ParaCommander, if using a bag not a sleeve? Or when I should file the centering tip off the male Capewell lug?

That's when I need the old timers. :)

or a manual :S

What would the jurors say if you say "yeah i just did what petejones told me"?

um i pack parachutes for money haha, your argument has failed

Um, that does not stall the argument. It only suggests the stab in the dark found no purchase on that one point. So you pack. That's sort of entry level on the semi-professional trajectory of the sport. I've seen a few packers who shouldn't be so please don't rest on those laurels as a way in to credibility. Not here. Too many here who know better.